The Student Room Group

I got sacked from my first job

So I'm nearly 22 and I had a job somewhere I don't want to say where but it was a customer service job and I was working on the tills and I was working there for a month and they sacked me it was mainly because I had a day off for being ill, then another day off for nothing ( I told them that I had to go to college) and then I needed to have anoter day off for an exam but I didnt tell them until it was too late because I was trying to find someone to cover me but no one would. So do you think that I deserved to be sacked ? Bearing in mind that the other people there have days off to go out and all sorts but they didnt get sacked or told off for it.
Move on from it. It has no value on your CV so you can just leave it out altogether when applying for a new job. But just remember to stand out from the crowd :wink:
Original post by uglyslut
So I'm nearly 22 and I had a job somewhere I don't want to say where but it was a customer service job and I was working on the tills and I was working there for a month and they sacked me it was mainly because I had a day off for being ill, then another day off for nothing ( I told them that I had to go to college) and then I needed to have anoter day off for an exam but I didnt tell them until it was too late because I was trying to find someone to cover me but no one would. So do you think that I deserved to be sacked ? Bearing in mind that the other people there have days off to go out and all sorts but they didnt get sacked or told off for it.

You had 3 days off within your first month, one of which you have admitted you took for no reason. Yes you deserved to be sacked.
Steve Jobs got fired from Apple the company he created.

Yolo

Now you know how a job works. You can't take 3 days off in your first month, especially for a) no reason and b) without the due notification and processes. learn from it and move on.

To add to what others said about how you can just have random days off without good reason and appropriate notice, you may not know why the others had days off, not everyone likes to disclose personal information.*
of course you did - I've been sacked for less than that - I had *one* day off and had an argument with another co-worker and that was it.
Yes, you took three days off in your first month. You really need to be pretty much dying to take time off that soon after starting (not actually but you need to be pretty ill). You should also have told them before starting any days off you knew you needed and agreed them (e.g. for exams). As far as trying to find cover, of course you should do that but you should also tell your boss e.g. 'I need X day off for an exam, would you like me to try and find cover?'.

Also these other people who took days off - think of it this way, you've had 3/30 days of the month off this month, if you continue that pattern they're going to struggle to find cover constantly and never be able to rely on you, you've also done nothing to earn 'favours' (e.g. a day off for shopping). These other people have probably earned the right to take a couple of days off through being there consistently and helping out, e.g. covering other absences.
This is why we need people to stop getting sanctions when on the dole. If people dont wanna work then fair enough. I would rather waste a few quid of tax payers money if it means someone better gets the job.

you have to really not take time out for the first month or two so you can build up some trust
it worked for me and then the business took off and i quit as i was making more in business than in work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending