The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by sophielophie
Is doing work experience in an aquarium beneficial?
Would it be counted as experience by universities?

well to me it sounds interesting and not many people have it! :wink: so in a way its similar to a zoo! :smile: where is it? cause usually most places want you to be 18! :frown: personally I think it should count but I'm not an administrations person don't count on it to make 4/6 weeks use it as extra! :smile: so have 4/6 weeks of stuff you know counts and then have it as extra! :smile:
Original post by JL124251
well to me it sounds interesting and not many people have it! :wink: so in a way its similar to a zoo! :smile: where is it? cause usually most places want you to be 18! :frown: personally I think it should count but I'm not an administrations person don't count on it to make 4/6 weeks use it as extra! :smile: so have 4/6 weeks of stuff you know counts and then have it as extra! :smile:

It would be in America, whilst I visit family.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
It would be in Florida, whilst I visit family.

Very fancy! :wink: sounds good do you know what you will be doing? :smile:
It would be counted, but it wouldn't be counted as core work experience that they ask for, it would be an extra thing to make you stand out, so make sure you have all the core placements completed as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JL124251
Very fancy! :wink: sounds good do you know what you will be doing? :smile:

I believe it's feeding fish, dolphins and turtles, as well as shadowing vets and the animal handlers.
depends what you are applying for
Original post by bluemadhatter
depends what you are applying for

I'm going into year 13 in September. I am going to take a gap year, and hope to apply in October 2017 for Veterinary Science.
I'm going into year 13 in September. I am going to take a gap year, and hope to apply in October 2017 for Veterinary Science.

Veterinary science? That should be a perfect thing to do as work experience then :h: Remember to add other things such as animal shelter volunteering or zoo keeper shadowing etc
Original post by bluemadhatter
Veterinary science? That should be a perfect thing to do as work experience then :h: Remember to add other things such as animal shelter volunteering or zoo keeper shadowing etc

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have done a week at an animal sanctuary, and 3 days at a cattery.
Reply 10
If it's an experience you pay for, it's not going to count and they'll see through it like glass. It sounds very much like that's what it is. Even with the bad publicity Sea World has got lately, experience like that - ie feeding the animals etc. is still very hard to come by in aquaria in the US. Or anywhere for that matter. Unless you pay for it.*

You need sustained experience for veterinary science. Volunteering once a week for six months hosing down cages in an animal shelter would be fine. It doesn't have to be fancy work. I know one girl who got work experience with a man whose job it was to masturbate bulls. Literally shadowed him for six weeks doing that. She got three out of four offers. Her personal statement read as someone who was not in the slightest bit squeamish and as someone who knew absolutely that she wanted to work in a large animal practice. She did an EPQ on land economy as well so she really knew her stuff. I know another woman who got a job in an abattoir and got an offer from the RVC, the only place she wanted to go. Her personal statement essentially read "I've already learned one of the hardest lessons a vet will have to learn. I am emotionally prepared for this job."*

You want experience you can reflect on, not just to prove your love of animals. Getting the tough work experience is actually very easy and it's more likely to get you an offer. Work in a hen battery if you can. They want to see that you have emotional resilience and a good work ethic where animals are concerned. Get experience that demonstrates that. Two days of "trainer for a day" aren't going to show that.*
Original post by giella
If it's an experience you pay for, it's not going to count and they'll see through it like glass. It sounds very much like that's what it is. Even with the bad publicity Sea World has got lately, experience like that - ie feeding the animals etc. is still very hard to come by in aquaria in the US. Or anywhere for that matter. Unless you pay for it.*

You need sustained experience for veterinary science. Volunteering once a week for six months hosing down cages in an animal shelter would be fine. It doesn't have to be fancy work. I know one girl who got work experience with a man whose job it was to masturbate bulls. Literally shadowed him for six weeks doing that. She got three out of four offers. Her personal statement read as someone who was not in the slightest bit squeamish and as someone who knew absolutely that she wanted to work in a large animal practice. She did an EPQ on land economy as well so she really knew her stuff. I know another woman who got a job in an abattoir and got an offer from the RVC, the only place she wanted to go. Her personal statement essentially read "I've already learned one of the hardest lessons a vet will have to learn. I am emotionally prepared for this job."*

You want experience you can reflect on, not just to prove your love of animals. Getting the tough work experience is actually very easy and it's more likely to get you an offer. Work in a hen battery if you can. They want to see that you have emotional resilience and a good work ethic where animals are concerned. Get experience that demonstrates that. Two days of "trainer for a day" aren't going to show that.*

Thanks for your reply. It is not with sea world. I would be volunteering at an aquarium with the aquatic animals. From being there previously, only ill dolphins and turtles are taken there to recuperate. I would be helping with their day to day care.

I also don't live in the UK, and where I live it is difficult to find some work experience, such as working in abattoirs and farm animals. However, I am keeping my eyes peeled to find some!
by keeper work experience you mean? like I am basically working as part of the team like they give me a list and I work through it, I am even being asked by visitors where things are! :wink: Will this count?
Reply 13
Ok, man. Do you really think, that it's normal, that your heater has become the reason of the death of the fish? Where is the 100% guarantee, that the fishes won't die once more time? Have you thought about the natural filter of heater for such situation, like you, when you can not to see the fish for months? My uncle is the fish lover and I know, that he has live rocks, like additional filter (but it can replace the main one if the electricity won't work) and make the water clearer and the area more convenient for fish living. If you haven't even heard about the live rocks, then you can read the article on ARCREEF. Hope you fish won't die this time, take care about them.

Latest

Trending

Trending