The Student Room Group

retaking GCSE maths alongside AEVELS

Hi I achieved a grade C at GCSE maths but im thinking of retaking because most universities want B and above, would it be a problem to take GCSE maths along my alevel exams
Original post by goal101
Hi I achieved a grade C at GCSE maths but im thinking of retaking because most universities want B and above, would it be a problem to take GCSE maths along my alevel exams

I dont see why it will be a problem, just make sure your revise and get a b
Original post by goal101

Lots of people do it but I'd advise you start revising now and take the exams in November so they don't interfere with you A level study in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
Lots of people do it but I'd advise you start revising now and take the exams in November so they don't interfere with you A level study in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the place I'm doing it at, only takes place In summer but do you think it will be manageable
I'm doing Biology psychology sociology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You'll definitely need maths in biology especially second year and pschology has some maths. Hope you do well in the second time. Btw how come your college is letting you biology with a grade C in maths that's a bit strange?
Original post by goal101
I think the place I'm doing it at, only takes place In summer but do you think it will be manageable
I'm doing Biology psychology sociology

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's doable but you don't want to neglect your A level exams as the results will determine your unpredicted grades and therefore your university options. You can take it as a private candidate elsewhere and I'd be tempted to do that if your school/college don't offer it. That will also give you another chance to try again in summer if you find you need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
It's doable but you don't want to neglect your A level exams as the results will determine your unpredicted grades and therefore your university options. You can take it as a private candidate elsewhere and I'd be tempted to do that if your school/college don't offer it. That will also give you another chance to try again in summer if you find you need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Iv done year of AS I'm going into A2 and willing todo it privately because if I apply for university when A2 starts I can let them know I'm retaking my GCSE maths right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by OGGUS
You'll definitely need maths in biology especially second year and pschology has some maths. Hope you do well in the second time. Btw how come your college is letting you biology with a grade C in maths that's a bit strange?

Yeh Iv done AS already, I wanted todo chemistry but my college refused and now after I feel as though my career opportunities have been limited due to my maths Grade so that's why I'm thinking doing it alongside A2 will it be manageable with those subjects, because the whole exam thing has changed as we have to do AS exams again in A2

Also I'm thinking to take a gap year doing chemistry I don't know if this would all be worth it though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by goal101
Yeh Iv done AS already, I wanted todo chemistry but my college refused and now after I feel as though my career opportunities have been limited due to my maths Grade so that's why I'm thinking doing it alongside A2 will it be manageable with those subjects, because the whole exam thing has changed as we have to do AS exams again in A2

Also I'm thinking to take a gap year doing chemistry I don't know if this would all be worth it though

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you wanna do?
Original post by goal101
Iv done year of AS I'm going into A2 and willing todo it privately because if I apply for university when A2 starts I can let them know I'm retaking my GCSE maths right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
then definitely would aim for November.
Yes you can state you are retaking maths and they can make that a condition of your offer.*

Quick Reply

Latest