The Student Room Group

Oxbridge: posh and right-wing?

I want to apply to Oxbridge but I don't want to go somewhere I won't be happy because everyone is stuck up, rich or conservative. Is this just a stereotype, or is it generally true of most students/teachers there?

Scroll to see replies

There are no right-wing universities, the furthest right you're get is Durham.
Original post by kakerlake
I want to apply to Oxbridge but I don't want to go somewhere I won't be happy because everyone is stuck up, rich or conservative. Is this just a stereotype, or is it generally true of most students/teachers there?

Its a stereotype. Have a look at a lot of the cambridge and oxford discussions on TSR and you will see that a lot of people applying and reaching oxbridge are just normal hard working students from a wide range of backgrounds.
Reply 3
Original post by Prince of Punani
There are no right-wing universities, the furthest right you're get is Durham.

What makes Durham 'the furthest right'?
What makes Durham 'the furthest right'?

I think they may be giving a geography lesson 😀
Reply 5
My argument is based solely on assumptions and opinions of other individuals:

My teacher went to study at Oxford as a postgraduate and he claims that Oxbridge is a place for cocky students. He tried to convince me not to apply there since my personality does not "fit".
Despite that I am going to apply since I partially disagree with his holistic view point. The majority of students are just like normal students; dedicated/ have passion for their subjects and intelligent. Still I think that you are more likely to encounter these toffs/posh/cocky people at Oxbridge than at other universities.
Cambridge is annoyingly left-wing. (Let's be honest, all universities are going to be left-wing.)
Reply 7
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Cambridge is annoyingly left-wing. (Let's be honest, all universities are going to be left-wing.)

Agreed. Some of the stuff you hear in Cambridge is just plain stupid sometimes.
Original post by alow
Agreed. Some of the stuff you hear in Cambridge is just plain stupid sometimes.

Like what? :afraid:

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by Electrospective
Like what? :afraid:

Spoiler

So much rubbish along the lines of /r/TumblrInAction. "The patriarchy", ridiculous feminist nonsense, people being ridiculously PC and just not being able to take a joke that's even slightly dark...

Just annoys me sometimes. I'm lucky to have found a group of friends that appreciate a dark joke every now and then.
Original post by alow
So much rubbish along the lines of /r/TumblrInAction. "The patriarchy", ridiculous feminist nonsense, people being ridiculously PC and just not being able to take a joke that's even slightly dark...

Just annoys me sometimes. I'm lucky to have found a group of friends that appreciate a dark joke every now and then.

Oh god. Dunno if I wanna go there now, sounds like hell.

Every now and then? Oh Lord, I only make and enjoy dark jokes....
Plus I'd want to be/make societies that are more right wing i.e. Libertarian
Reply 11

Every now and then? Oh Lord, I only make and enjoy dark jokes....
Plus I'd want to be/make societies that are more right wing i.e. Libertarian

"now and then" may be a bit harsh. It's been a strange hour if someone hasn't made a sick joke.

There are more right wing societies, but some of the people in them are just cocks.

It annoys me too, but tbh, every university is going to be like that.
I was in your position before I got to Cambridge and I will be honest I was very surprised. There are a mix of people, there are the 'rich, stuck up and conservative' people and then there are the people just like you. You just have to meet a range of people and you will eventually fit in.
Original post by alow
"now and then" may be a bit harsh. It's been a strange hour if someone hasn't made a sick joke.

There are more right wing societies, but some of the people in them are just cocks.

Okay, I'm feeling a little hopeful now.

Cocks how?
Reply 15
Okay, I'm feeling a little hopeful now.

Cocks how?

The same types of people who are in drinking societies, just not fun to be around.

I've just learned that if someone tells me something I've said offended them, saying "good for you" and carrying on is the best course of action. I haven't got time to care about what other people find offensive.
Right wing? Lol no.

Posh? Depends on whom you associate with (and probably the college to some extent as well) but whilst most people are fairly middle class everyone is "normal" and things like education (private/state) don't really come up that often, and certainly not in a braggish way.
Reply 17
Original post by BioOx
My teacher went to study at Oxford as a postgraduate and he claims that Oxbridge is a place for cocky students. He tried to convince me not to apply there since my personality does not "fit".Despite that I am going to apply since I partially disagree with his holistic view point. The majority of students are just like normal students; dedicated/ have passion for their subjects and intelligent. Still I think that you are more likely to encounter these toffs/posh/cocky people at Oxbridge than at other universities.
Bit weird that your teacher tried to dissuade you from applying, I've never heard of that before in my life 😶
(edited 7 years ago)
😶
You think this **** and got into Cambridge?

Surprisingly, someone having a different political opinion from you does not make them stupid...
Reply 19

You think this **** and got into Cambridge?

Surprisingly they care more about how good I am at chemistry than my political opinions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending