The Student Room Group

ALL this TALK about GRAMMAR SCHOOLS

So much talk about them returning!

Do you think it's a good or bad thing?

I wrote a blog post based on my own honest experience at a Grammar School (which you can read at http://themodernperspectives.blogspot.co.uk/) which tells you what it's actually like to go to a grammar school.

Let's hear your thoughts on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
please reply!
Original post by Grumpyteen
So much talk about them returning!

Do you think it's a good or bad thing?

I wrote a blog post based on my own honest experience at a Grammar School (which you can read at http://themodernperspectives.blogspot.co.uk/) which tells you what it's actually like to go to a grammar school.

Let's hear your thoughts on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:smile:

Grammar schools returning? They never left but I get what you mean. Honestly, if you go to a standard grammar school then the level of teaching is not that better than a top set class in a state school. However, if you go to a super selective grammar school like that one in north London ( can't remember what it's called off the top of my head) or a school like st olaves grammar school then the level of teaching is comparable to a private school. I currently go to standard/super selective grammar school so just inbetween so this is what I have experienced. Having said this I went to a state school before my current school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good ofc. Grammar schools allow the intelligent kids to do well and not be held back by stupid kids who can barely do basic GCSE stuff
I didn't actually realise how few there were left in the UK. I don't see the issue with them, good alternative to private education for those who don't have ridiculous incomes*
Original post by Madeline_H95
Good ofc. Grammar schools allow the intelligent kids to do well and not be held back by stupid kids who can barely do basic GCSE stuff

Not really.
Reply 7

Yeah but if you read my blog post I mention the competition a school full of smart kids creates.

And if your not even that clever and your in a grammar...blimey that must be hard to deal with.
Reply 8
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I didn't actually realise how few there were left in the UK. I don't see the issue with them, good alternative to private education for those who don't have ridiculous incomes*

If you read my blog post you will see the issue with them...

You might find my blog post quite shocking.

http://themodernperspectives.blogspot.co.uk/
I've said before I'm pretty divided on them. I didn't reach my full potential in my state school because they were trying to bring Cs to Bs, and I wasn't getting the help to get from As to A*s. To be honest in that sense I feel like I'm for them. In an ideal world, any school should be able to accommodate for all the different levels of intelligence, but is this really realistic?

I do feel like some of the kids in my new school (the grammar), think they are better than the ones at my old state school. Perhaps they are more intelligent, but that doesn't always make up for other personal qualities.

Overall though, I'm for them.
Reply 10
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88

Depends where you are in the country. Kent as a county has about 40 grammar schools currently with plans for a few more.
As someone who has attended two different grammar schools I can definitely say that in my opinion they are amazing. They seem to instil a different drive to achieve higher. Students are constantly pushed beyond their maximum potential.

However not all grammar schools are the same. Some are truly amazing and others aren't performing as well as they could.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Grammar schools are exceptional. They find the balance between equality for all groups (religious and ethnic), academic excellence, personal development and future prospects. Why go to a private school if you can attend a grammar school?
Original post by mliela
Depends where you are in the country. Kent as a county has about 40 grammar schools currently with plans for a few more.
As someone who has attended two different grammar schools I can definitely say that in my opinion they are amazing. They seem to instil a different drive to achieve higher. Students are constantly pushed beyond their maximum potential.

However not all grammar schools are the same. Some are truly amazing and others aren't performing as well as they could.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is true. I coasted through my time at my state school and wasn't pushed at all. I mean I don't blame it all on my teachers, but I would have benefited a lot from being pushed.
If you read my blog post you will see the issue with them...

You might find my blog post quite shocking.

http://themodernperspectives.blogspot.co.uk/

I went to a grammar school so it doesn't particularly shock me. I didn't exactly love it but I'm so glad I went to one instead of the absolute dive of a comprehensive that was in my catchment area.*
Yeah but if you read my blog post I mention the competition a school full of smart kids creates.

And if your not even that clever and your in a grammar...blimey that must be hard to deal with.

Your blog is wrong. Competition is good. Competition sees kids always pushing to be the best. Being the best = more success.

So??? If someone is thick and can't get into grammar that's their fault for being thick. We can't live around the needs of the dumb people. We need to push the very best to become the best.
Reply 15
Your blog is wrong. Competition is good. Competition sees kids always pushing to be the best. Being the best = more success.

So??? If someone is thick and can't get into grammar that's their fault for being thick. We can't live around the needs of the dumb people. We need to push the very best to become the best.

Exactly. We can't hold people back jut because others aren't as smart as them. Not everyone is educationally equal and shouldn't be treated like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

My blog is not wrong. It's just my opinion. I did say competition can be good and bad...
Reply 17
Original post by mliela
Exactly. We can't hold people back jut because others aren't as smart as them. Not everyone is educationally equal and shouldn't be treated like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I agree with you although like I said in my blog http://themodernperspectives.blogspot.co.uk/a small 11+ test isn't really an accurate measure of smartness...
And many kids get tuition specifically for the 11+ grammar school test whilst some cannot afford it.. and that doesn't seem fair to me.

But I do agree. It's natural selection really isn't it? It's the way life goes. The more able rise to the top.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tbh, I would LOVE to go to a grammar school but unfortunately most of the people that go to grammar school are posh scrubs and also some of them have fees and also its way too far.
I went to one, they're ok. Hardly any girls though.

Quick Reply