The Student Room Group

Help! Need help with second undergrad degree

Hi

I have a llb from university of Manchester but I'm not happy with the university's reputation - would it be advisable to do another llb from a better reputed uni like Durham? I'll probably need to do a foundation course at Durham first and then would be able to progress onto a second llb.

Any help would,be appreciated!

Thanks
Original post by Scruffyjoe
Hi

I have a llb from university of Manchester but I'm not happy with the university's reputation - would it be advisable to do another llb from a better reputed uni like Durham? I'll probably need to do a foundation course at Durham first and then would be able to progress onto a second llb.

Any help would,be appreciated!

Thanks

How do you plan to fund this indulgence? The government won't fund second undergraduate degrees.
Reply 2
Original post by Good bloke
How do you plan to fund this indulgence? The government won't fund second undergraduate degrees.

I'm an international student.
Hi

Thanks

I have two undergraduate degrees but I cannot imagine how it could ever make sense to do two in the same subject. I'd be pretty surprised if Durham would even accept you under any circumstances. And I don't see why you would need a foundation to get on to the course when you *already have a degree in the subject*.
You'd be better off getting three years of law work experience than wasting over £50k to get another degree in the same subject.
Reply 5
Original post by adesola15
You'd be better off getting three years of law work experience than wasting over £50k to get another degree in the same subject.

I agree. I am already doing that (graduated in 2012) but I want to remove Manchester from my CV.
Reply 6
Original post by Forum User
I have two undergraduate degrees but I cannot imagine how it could ever make sense to do two in the same subject. I'd be pretty surprised if Durham would even accept you under any circumstances. And I don't see why you would need a foundation to get on to the course when you *already have a degree in the subject*.

I know I sound cuckoo but I don't know how to get out of this messy situation that I'm stuck in.
I agree. I am already doing that (graduated in 2012) but I want to remove Manchester from my CV.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a law graduate wouldn't your ideal situation be having a training contract or pupillage to be qualified as a solicitor or barrister, are you having trouble finding one?
I know I sound cuckoo but I don't know how to get out of this messy situation that I'm stuck in.

Manchester is a perfectly reasonable university and there is nothing particularly wrong with its reputation. If you are struggling I doubt that Manchester's reputation is the main (or any) cause. What grade did you get in your degree?

In any case I still very much doubt that it is even possible to find a university to accept you for a subject that you have already done a degree in.
I can't imagine that Durham etc. would be too willing to give you a place as you already have a degree in the exact same subject, with the exact same modules etc., while there will be other capable applicants who haven't already done the course once before.

Manchester isn't a bad university by any means - it's highly ranked in the UK. Presuming you do want to become a lawyer, a (good) degree from there shouldn't hinder you in your search for a training contract. If you can't get a training contract, it almost certainly won't be because your degree is from Manchester - it'll be perhaps due to your classification, or lack of work experience.

Basically, getting a second law degree isn't the answer. Get work experience instead.
Reply 10
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a law graduate wouldn't your ideal situation be having a training contract or pupillage to be qualified as a solicitor or barrister, are you having trouble finding one?

Original post by doctorwhofan98
I can't imagine that Durham etc. would be too willing to give you a place as you already have a degree in the exact same subject, with the exact same modules etc., while there will be other capable applicants who haven't already done the course once before.

Manchester isn't a bad university by any means - it's highly ranked in the UK. Presuming you do want to become a lawyer, a (good) degree from there shouldn't hinder you in your search for a training contract. If you can't get a training contract, it almost certainly won't be because your degree is from Manchester - it'll be perhaps due to your classification, or lack of work experience.

Basically, getting a second law degree isn't the answer. Get work experience instead.

Manchester is a perfectly reasonable university and there is nothing particularly wrong with its reputation. If you are struggling I doubt that Manchester's reputation is the main (or any) cause. What grade did you get in your degree?

In any case I still very much doubt that it is even possible to find a university to accept you for a subject that you have already done a degree in.

I agree with all of you about getting work experience - I'm not working in the uk (not a resident) but I am working in my country (have been working for the last three years) finding work isn't much of a problem.
Nobody respects Manchester in my country (including my family which is heartbreaking) and my parents are pressurising me to get another degree from a better, more respected university than Manchester.
Another undergrad degree isn't necessarily the best option but I'm so sick of getting slack for my university. On top of that I don't have the grades to get into a good postgrad school either. So I just feel stuck and it's not a good feeling.

Thanks for your help. I'll think of other options.
Reply 11

I agree with all of you about getting work experience - I'm not working in the uk (not a resident) but I am working in my country (have been working for the last three years) finding work isn't much of a problem.
Nobody respects Manchester in my country (including my family which is heartbreaking) and my parents are pressurising me to get another degree from a better, more respected university than Manchester.
Another undergrad degree isn't necessarily the best option but I'm so sick of getting slack for my university. On top of that I don't have the grades to get into a good postgrad school either. So I just feel stuck and it's not a good feeling.

Ah ok. If you do decide to apply for another undergrad law degree though, you'll need convincing reasons - not only do prestigious universities need to accept you as a candidate, they also need an extraordinarily good reason why you're doing the exact same thing twice; they're not going to find "I don't think my first university was prestigious enough" as valid. Second undergraduate degrees aren't too uncommon, but doing the same thing twice is basically unprecedented - top unis won't be keen.

It might be worth considering doing a Masters at Durham or similar, which shouldn't be difficult to get on if you have a 2:1. Employers would like it; it would advance, not mind-numbingly repeat, your knowledge; it would allow a 'more prestigious' university to get on your CV; you'd actually have a chance at being accepted! Employers, not just unis, would want a good reason why you did LLB law, likely disadvantaging you. A masters, meanwhile, would advance your CV.
Reply 13
Ah ok. If you do decide to apply for another undergrad law degree though, you'll need convincing reasons - not only do prestigious universities need to accept you as a candidate, they also need an extraordinarily good reason why you're doing the exact same thing twice; they're not going to find "I don't think my first university was prestigious enough" as valid. Second undergraduate degrees aren't too uncommon, but doing the same thing twice is basically unprecedented - top unis won't be keen.

It might be worth considering doing a Masters at Durham or similar, which shouldn't be difficult to get on if you have a 2:1. Employers would like it; it would advance, not mind-numbingly repeat, your knowledge; it would allow a 'more prestigious' university to get on your CV; you'd actually have a chance at being accepted! Employers, not just unis, would want a good reason why you did LLB law, likely disadvantaging you. A masters, meanwhile, would advance your CV.

Thanks! That's a very helpful suggestion! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending