The Student Room Group

Surgical/Chemical castration of sex offenders?

What're peoples views on that as a potential punishment?

You rape a person or child you loose what enabled you to do it..?

Rather a steep price but i'm curious what people would think about that. Also worth noting that you cant technically rehabilitate a sex offender either and they have a terribly high rate of recidivism...

Scroll to see replies

Interesting point. Although,if a rapist was to be castrated, then they'd also lose the ability to make love with their partner, or if they find one in the future.
Wouldn't the UN have a fit? It's a breach of human rights.

Spoiler

Original post by Napp

Rather a steep price but i'm curious what people would think about that. Also worth noting that you cant technically rehabilitate a sex offender either and they have a terribly high rate of recidivism...

well considering i believe in castrating half of the earths population to find a solution to overpopulation that does not involve murder, i am definitely for this. And the death penalty.
Reply 4
Original post by Razamataz666
well considering i believe in castrating half of the earths population to find a solution to overpopulation that does not involve murder, i am definitely for this. And the death penalty.

Hmm out of interest do you draw a distinction between castration and sterilization so in this case either chopping it off or chemically?

Original post by honour
Interesting point. Although,if a rapist was to be castrated, then they'd also lose the ability to make love with their partner, or if they find one in the future.

Indeed although I imagine many victims and their families wouldn't loose much sleep over that. That might indeed have a deterrant factor to it unlike many punishments..
Original post by adesola15
Wouldn't the UN have a fit? It's a breach of human rights.

Spoiler

Oh they'd **** a brick :tongue: That being said they a] Cant really do much about it and B] most of the UN members have practised it in some form before..
Reply 5
No. The current UK punishments are adequate.
Original post by Napp
Hmm out of interest do you draw a distinction between castration and sterilization so in this case either chopping it off or chemically?

Indeed although I imagine many victims and their families wouldn't loose much sleep over that. That might indeed have a deterrant factor to it unlike many punishments..

Oh they'd **** a brick :tongue: That being said they a] Cant really do much about it and B] most of the UN members have practised it in some form before..

ah yes, i used the wrong word. i do believe in sterilisation, this is due to the (almost) painless process and the fact that you will still get to live your life but not have children. thus reducing population in a harmless way. Obviously it would need to be controlled and i would suggest a test to select those who could have children. the factors i propose would include finances, quality of life etc.

one might consider me mad for proposing such an idea, however when we get too overpopulated and run out of food (of which we eventually will) we shall have to reduce population. i propose a harmless way. what do you think?
If there is 100% proof (eg. Video) and you are a repeat offender then yes. First time offence then probably not, no...

I think MUCH tougher sentences are needed for rapists and abusers. You get a lot more for fighting than rape and it's not fair on victims
Perhaps we should also cut off the hands of thieves?Behead murderers? Cut out the tongues of those who libel/slander? Dont be stupid we're not in the 14th century anymore.
Original post by Robby2312
Perhaps we should also cut off the hands of thieves?Behead murderers? Cut out the tongues of those who libel/slander? Dont be stupid we're not in the 14th century anymore.

i agree with the first two points.

The problem with that is that you cant unbehead someone or uncastrate them if you find that actually they're innocent.There is nearly always some doubt.Also you cant complain about Islamic nutjobs if you're going to copy them.
The problem with that is that you cant unbehead someone or uncastrate them if you find that actually they're innocent.There is nearly always some doubt.Also you cant complain about Islamic nutjobs if you're going to copy them.

firstly, mistakes will happen. i would say only to do it when you have overwhelming evidence, beyond doubt. and to address the second point about Islam, i personally dont complain about their views on crime, i disagree with their views on women, other religions etc. and its not just 'nutjobs', 40% of UK muslims believe they should be governed by Shariah law.
Reply 12

Perhapse you should learn to read before trying to appear educated? I never said anything about my opinion on the matter. I asked a mere hypothetical question.
Original post by 1010marina
If there is 100% proof (eg. Video) and you are a repeat offender then yes. First time offence then probably not, no...

I think MUCH tougher sentences are needed for rapists and abusers. You get a lot more for fighting than rape and it's not fair on victims

Mmm fair play. With regards to the first time offence comment though, is that conditional or absolute e.g. one person could have made a drunken mistake and gone too far whilst someone setting out with malice and premeditation would seem inherently worse?

1] I'm not entirely sure how Islam comes into this?
2] Castration has been excersised in western countries on and off for decades
3] Most forms of chemical castration are reversible and no mention was made to specificly chopping someones bits off.
firstly, mistakes will happen. i would say only to do it when you have overwhelming evidence, beyond doubt. and to address the second point about Islam, i personally dont complain about their views on crime, i disagree with their views on women, other religions etc. and its not just 'nutjobs', 40% of UK muslims believe they should be governed by Shariah law.

Im sure mistakes will happen will be a great comfort to the innocent guy with no balls.Perhaps you could explain that to him.We already have a court system where its supposed to be beyond reasonable doubt.Innocent people still end up in prison.Its also demonstrateably biased towards black people .And anyway this ignores the existence of women paedophiles as well what will their punishment be?How can you not complain about their views on crime.In iran you can be hanged for being gay.In saudi arabia you can be beheaded for writing a blog.And I guess that just means that 40%of uk muslims are nutjobs then.
Original post by Napp
Perhapse you should learn to read before trying to appear educated? I never said anything about my opinion on the matter. I asked a mere hypothetical question.

Mmm fair play. With regards to the first time offence comment though, is that conditional or absolute e.g. one person could have made a drunken mistake and gone too far whilst someone setting out with malice and premeditation would seem inherently worse?

1] I'm not entirely sure how Islam comes into this?
2] Castration has been excersised in western countries on and off for decades
3] Most forms of chemical castration are reversible and no mention was made to specificly chopping someones bits off.

Perhaps you should learn to read.Islam comes into it because I said that maybe we should also behead people or cut the hands of robbers which they do in Islamic countries.Also it says in the thread title surgical/chemical.We shouldnt descend into barbarism simply because we feel strongly about something.There is a reason why we have an impersonal justice system because its not meant to be about revenge at least not entirely.
Reply 15
Perhaps you should learn to read.Islam comes into it because I said that maybe we should also behead people or cut the hands of robbers which they do in Islamic countries.Also it says in the thread title surgical/chemical.We shouldnt descend into barbarism simply because we feel strongly about something.There is a reason why we have an impersonal justice system because its not meant to be about revenge at least not entirely.

Remind me how castrating rapists is to do with islm? :rolleyes: Chopping off a thiefs hand etc. might be practised by some countries under there lovely Hudud. However if you bother to read the relevent verses such a punishment is only one theoretical out come, it depends on ones interpretation of it.
Once again I have offered no view on the matter so do kindly stop trying to imply I have.
Either way if your young daughter was raped would you be happy with a punishment not based largely on revenge? As the only other alternative to revenge is rehabilitation really and countlessmedical texts will tell you, there is no cure for these deviants.
so if women rape men...?
yeah, something tells me this is just a punishment for men, isn't it.
Reply 17

You think thieves should have their hands chopped off?
Original post by Napp
Remind me how castrating rapists is to do with islm? :rolleyes: Chopping off a thiefs hand etc. might be practised by some countries under there lovely Hudud. However if you bother to read the relevent verses such a punishment is only one theoretical out come, it depends on ones interpretation of it.
Once again I have offered no view on the matter so do kindly stop trying to imply I have.
Either way if your young daughter was raped would you be happy with a punishment not based largely on revenge? As the only other alternative to revenge is rehabilitation really and countlessmedical texts will tell you, there is no cure for these deviants.

I wouldnt be happy and that is precisely why Im not allowed to make the decision about what happens to the rapist.I have a large bias in wanting the perpatrator punished so I dont get to choose.Its decided by a fair and impartial system or at least it would be ideally.I never said castrating people was to do with Islam I just made the comparison because its the same line of thinking.An eye for an eye.But thats a barbaric way of thinking.
Original post by Napp

Personally feel like violating a person's body because they violated someone's body is contradictory. I share that stance with killing a person because they killed someone. I think punishment in the form of deterring such behaviour shouldn't be so extreme that you violate a person. The court of law, I believe, is supposed to be morally superior to criminals. Sinking to the level of a rapist and violating them as a punishment would make me question and doubt the justice system completely.

Quick Reply

Latest