The Student Room Group

Should paedophilia still be considered a disorder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Not true - in the future we could make sex robots that look and act like children.

Do you think that would fully satisfy the individual for the rest of their lifetime? Or do you think at some point they'd become unsatisfied, and desire more, the real thing?

Or would you be happy with a female robot for all your life?

Also, there's more to attraction to children than just their physical appearance. It's often the identification with children, feeling safe with them, feeling like you belong etc. I.e, it's also the social satisfaction people gain from children that partly attracts them to them. Doubt you'd get that satisfaction from a robot.
Fyi, before anyone says anything shady, I've studied this at uni. So what I'm saying here I've read about in journal articles and lectures.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
I hope one day you never find yourself experiencing mental health issues...depression, dementia, stroke induced brain injury etc, because then any help you'd seek would be the product of a pseudoscience. How would you manage? Best to suffer on your own in that case.

No it's not arbitrary, if you bothered to read (can you?) then you'd understand that

"Most people with atypical sexual interests do not have a mental disorder. To be diagnosed with a paraphilic disorder, DSM-5 requires that people with these interests:

feel personal distress about their interest, not merely distress resulting from society’s disapproval;
or
have a sexual desire or behavior that involves another person’s psychological distress, injury, ordeath, or a desire for sexual behaviors involving unwilling persons or persons unable to give legalconsent.

Tell me how exactly, that is arbitary? And how the final point relates to homosexuality?

Also, I think you should know son, that pedophiles do respond to treatment (although a working progress), homosexuals do not.

I also feel like adding that, with your dangerous attitude that any study of pedophilia is merely pseudoscientific nonsense, then the recidivism for child sex crimes would be a lot higher. Research into treatment and also the situational factors that place a child sex offender at risk of recidivism has greatly reduced the rate of repeat offences. So without that little pseudoscience and with an attitude like yours, there'd be a far higher percentage of child sex abuse cases in our society. Your attitude is a dangerous one.

Any perceived lack of reoffending doesn't prove they have been cured, not every straight man is a rapist.
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
Any perceived lack of reoffending doesn't prove they have been cured, not every straight man is a rapist.

That doesn't make sense.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Yes, and those who succumb to the urges should be hung.

That's a bit silly no? Surely it can't be their fault for having such bizarre urges. Some of these pedophiles have been groomed by pedophiles themselves and have experienced such traumatic events as children.
I agree with what's being said above, they need treatment AF.
(edited 7 years ago)
That doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense because you are wrongly assuming that convicted paedophiles who do not re-offend don't have those desires still inside them.
Original post by mercuryman
That's a bit silly no? Surely it can't be their fault for having such bizarre urges. I agree with what's being said above, they need treatment AF.

No, they have damaged a small child, potentially for life. They deserve death.
That's a bit silly no? Surely it can't be their fault for having such bizarre urges. Some of these pedophiles have been groomed by pedophiles themselves and have experienced such traumatic events as children.
I agree with what's being said above, they need treatment AF.

They shouldn't be killed or tortured but they should be permanently removed from society if they offend.
(edited 7 years ago)
That's a bit silly no? Surely it can't be their fault for having such bizarre urges. I agree with what's being said above, they need treatment AF.

Yeah but the most effective treatments are biological treatments, chemical castration, drugs which greatly reduce the libido. Which are essentially just nice versions of cutting of willies :colondollar:

But obviously are considered unethical. Other psychological treatments are effective too, but biological ones would be the easiest option.
Yeah but the most effective treatments are biological treatments, chemical castration, drugs which greatly reduce the libido. Which are essentially just nice versions of cutting of willies :colondollar:

But obviously are considered unethical. Other psychological treatments are effective too, but biological ones would be the easiest option.

Exactly, the most effective way to ensure they do not re-offend is to completely remove their sexuality, I'm so right here it hurts.
Disorder or not, it's ****ing sick (not in an illness kinda way, just in a gross way).
Honestly, if you do anything sexual to a child you deserve death. Plus I don't think they can be treated, but I don't know what should be done to a paedophile that hasn't acted on his/her thoughts.
Exactly, the most effective way to ensure they do not re-offend is to completely remove their sexuality, I'm so right here it hurts.

How do you do that, Brahmin? :colonhash:
No, they have damaged a small child, potentially for life. They deserve death.

Well you could say the same about abusive fathers or murderers then, no?
Well you could say the same about abusive fathers or murderers then, no?

Yes, you could.
I don't personally think it should be, it's more of a sexual inclination than a disorder in my eyes, but should obviously be punished as it almost always causes serious psychological damage to innocent children who are being forcefully exploited. Just as with any sexual inclination I don't think it can be remedied as such either.
Yes, you could.

Fair enough, I respect you for not contradicting yourself.
Original post by Electrospective
How do you do that, Brahmin? :colonhash:

The only effective way of stopping them reoffending is physical or chemical castration or ensuring they never enter normal society, literally life in prison with no possibility of parole.

People who say it's an illness are leftist pseudoscientists who think they can ''cure'' them and safely reintroduce them to society, it's not possible, it's a dangerous lie.
Yes, and those who succumb to the urges should be hung.

in a world where sexual attraction towards the oppisite sex was considered worng, should straight people hung in that case???
Reply 37
Interesting question..

biologically it makes perfect sense if we bare in mind in the good old days people were 6ft under by 20... Not to mention thanks to all the hormones and drugs people are exposed to these days people are maturing younger.

As for whether it should be considered a disorder i withold comment, people can be attracted to whatever they so please, there are plenty of frankly far weirder and more obscene fetishes out there.

If they decide to act on said impulse though? Put them in a gibbett.
It makes perfect sense because you are wrongly assuming that convicted paedophiles who do not re-offend don't have those desires still inside them.

Google penile plethysmograph, and the the pedophilia version of the IAT. Although these aren't immune from being cheated.

I see what you mean though, perhaps a pedophile will never be cured completely. Perhaps they will always harbour desires on some level. But the most important thing is managing their behaviour and their intentions.

Also, many psychological disorders are not cured but managed-
Schizophrenia
Psychoapthy,
Autism Spectrum Disorders
ADHD
Tourettes disorder
Demntia's including Alzheimers.

The list goes on and on.

They cannot be cured, does that in any way mean they aren't disorders?
If you had a physical condition that can't be cured, does that mean it's not a disorder?
The only effective way of stopping them reoffending is physical or chemical castration or ensuring they never enter normal society, literally life in prison with no possibility of parole.

People who say it's an illness are leftist pseudoscientists who think they can ''cure'' them and safely reintroduce them to society, it's not possible, it's a dangerous lie.

I like that. LOL, have a read of this article. :rofl:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest