The Student Room Group

How do i get a job at 18 with no previosu work history?

How do I get a job at 18?

I really need a job, It has gotten to the point where I can't rely on my parents anymore and need to take care of myself.:redface:

Life is hard when you are broke.:frown:

I have no previous work history apart from some work experience which is completely unrelated to retail.

So, how do I get a retail job.

Do I just hand out my CV to various places? what if its not good enough since I have no employment history and like I said my work experience is completely unrelated to retail/customer service.

Edit: I am a full time student, I will be going back for my second year of college this September, so, I am looking to work weekends or evening.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blackstarr

I really need a job, It has gotten to the point where I can't rely on my parents anymore and need to take care of myself.:redface:

I have no previous work history apart from some work experience which is completely unrelated to retail.

Do I just hand out my CV to various places? what if its not good enough since I have no employment history and like I said my work experience is completely unrelated to retail/customer service.

You could volunteer in a charity shop if you re stuck for experience it's how I got a job in retail :smile:
Reply 2
Volunteering for a charity shop as the above poster mentioned is a good idea. Also have you thought about doing an apprenticeship, they are really good if your fresh out of Education with not much experience.

Break the experience required for retail into specific skills eg handling money, dealing with customers/strangers, working in a team etc and use evidence transferred from other aspects of your life. Everyone who has ever worked has got a first job, it's perfectly possible!

In terms of job-hunting - put the effort in to making a few high class applications rather than loads of generic junk. So don't just wander round town with a handful of generic CVs. Go around town asking in shops if they have any opportunities, make a list of those that say yes, or maybe, then go back in the next day with CVs specifically written for that shop (ie telling them about your pets for a pet shop, love of fashion for a clothes shop etc)
Go to a job agency and ask for one. I went on a monday to an agency, they gave me a job in a warehouse for 8 pound an hour starting that Saturday. The job is not to bad, quite boring but it pays more than serving in a restaurant.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by elliottls97
Go to a job agency and ask for one. I went on a monday to an agency, they gave me a job in a warehouse for 8 pound an hour starting that Saturday. The job is not to bad, quite boring but it pays more than serving in a restaurant.

Is that an easier option than just handing out my CV to every store I find?

I need a job ASAP, I can't afford to wait to have my CV checked and then be called for an interview to see whether I got the job and all that.:frown:
Reply 6

What is the name of the agency you went to, maybe they have a branch in my area?
Reply 7
Original post by sabana
Volunteering for a charity shop as the above poster mentioned is a good idea. Also have you thought about doing an apprenticeship, they are really good if your fresh out of Education with not much experience.

I am a full-time student.

I will be going back for my second year of college this September.

And I have been thinking of an apprenticeship but that is unrelated to my career choice since I want to be a nurse and need to go uni.

The thing with charity shops, whilst you get experience, you don't get paid?I can't afford that, I need money, life is hard when your broke and your parents can't support you anymore.:frown:
Reply 8

Also, what do you do there and how many hours do you work?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by claireestelle
You could volunteer in a charity shop if you re stuck for experience it's how I got a job in retail :smile:

Yes, I could indeed, but I really need to be doing something whereby I will get paid.

I know money is not everything but as a student, you need that little cash by your side especially when you are broke and your parents can't offer you the same support they use too.

Edit: I am a full time student, I will be going back for my second year of college this September, so, I am looking to work weekends or evening.

1) make sure your CV is only 1 page long, and concisely displays contact details, qualifications, skills, work history/experience and availability, a good CV is so so so important to employers, i have heard a lot of bosses give long lists of what types of CVs go straight in the bin. I find it better to tailor my CV to the job im applying to, then it stands out to employers over generic CVs.
2) get some voluntary work in a charity shop, this gives you valuable retail experience and also helps give back to the community.
3) be confident and approach employers in person to hand your CV in, putting a face to a CV/application often means you will be considered by employers, it also shows great confidence.
4) apply to many different jobs which match the hours your wanting to work, the more you apply to the more likely you will be to get a chance.
5) ensure you have some solid references
6) look out for jobs which advertise in the title "evening and weekend", "flexible hours", "weekend shifts", "part-time evening and weekend" as these jobs are more likely to hire students or have students in mind when they are picking candidates to interview, a lot of companies will not hire students so its key to look out for these roles.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Natalierm2707
1) make sure your CV is only 1 page long, and concisely displays contact details, qualifications, skills, work history/experience and availability, a good CV is so so so important to employers, i have heard a lot of bosses give long lists of what types of CVs go straight in the bin. I find it better to tailor my CV to the job im applying to, then it stands out to employers over generic CVs.
2) get some voluntary work in a charity shop, this gives you valuable retail experience and also helps give back to the community.
3) be confident and approach employers in person to hand your CV in, putting a face to a CV/application often means you will be considered by employers, it also shows great confidence.
4) apply to many different jobs which match the hours your wanting to work, the more you apply to the more likely you will be to get a chance.
5) ensure you have some solid references
6) look out for jobs which advertise in the title "evening and weekend", "flexible hours", "weekend shifts", "part-time evening and weekend" as these jobs are more likely to hire students or have students in mind when they are picking candidates to interview, a lot of companies will not hire students so its key to look out for these roles.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks.
Original post by threeportdrift
Break the experience required for retail into specific skills eg handling money, dealing with customers/strangers, working in a team etc and use evidence transferred from other aspects of your life. Everyone who has ever worked has got a first job, it's perfectly possible!

In terms of job-hunting - put the effort in to making a few high class applications rather than loads of generic junk. So don't just wander round town with a handful of generic CVs. Go around town asking in shops if they have any opportunities, make a list of those that say yes, or maybe, then go back in the next day with CVs specifically written for that shop (ie telling them about your pets for a pet shop, love of fashion for a clothes shop etc)

Could you check over my CV?

TSR has a CV checking forum, you could post it over there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
TSR has a CV checking forum, you could post it over there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, but sincs its late, I doubt anyone will look at it.
Ok, but sincs its late, I doubt anyone will look at it.

You never know. If not, post it tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, just start a thread on the CV Help forum and 'someone' will be along to take a look :smile:
What is the name of the agency you went to, maybe they have a branch in my area?

Templine, I have a job 16 hours over the weekend but they said I could easily get many more hours if I wanted. I was very suprised about how easy it was, maybe i was just lucky.

I need a job ASAP, I can't afford to wait to have my CV checked and then be called for an interview to see whether I got the job and all that.:frown:

Errr! It will take days/two week for an employer to assess applications after the deadline, then another week to invite to interview, then 1-4 weeks after that to start the job! Spending a few days waiting to get feedback on a CV is nothing compared to the 2-8 weeks it will take to get a job - and that's assuming your first application gets an offer! Unless you get a job through a contact, or get extremely lucky, this is a 2 month - 6 month project!
Original post by threeportdrift
Errr! It will take days/two week for an employer to assess applications after the deadline, then another week to invite to interview, then 1-4 weeks after that to start the job! Spending a few days waiting to get feedback on a CV is nothing compared to the 2-8 weeks it will take to get a job - and that's assuming your first application gets an offer! Unless you get a job through a contact, or get extremely lucky, this is a 2 month - 6 month project!

Really? how about signing up with a job agency? will that fast track me or the process will still be the same?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending