The Student Room Group

Poll: How long would you sentence two consenting adults for having sex

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trinculo
If they were grandfather and grandaughter?

What if they are? *I think it would be worse if they were father and daughter, but like I already said, it's none of my business.

Original post by SeanFM
And if it is not safe, or they try their best but accidentally being into this world a child whose life may or may not be abnormal? No harm?

And also screw them up mentally, no doubt.

Children can have abnormal lives for all sorts of reasons. *While I feel sorry for any child born through incest, I don't think the solution is to lock up the parents with paedophiles, murderers and rapists. *I think that has the potential to screw the child up mentally even more.*
Original post by questionthenorm
If they were part of the same family

I wonder if how the question is phrased might influence poll outcomes. I'm surprised the poll is so supportive (although I personally strongly believe that "no punishment" is the logical and correct answer).

A poll asking about punishment for "adult incest" might get a more negative response, perhaps?
Original post by TercioOfParma
If it results in a pregnancy, I would probably give them a fine due to the chance of producing children with birth defects.

We don't fine carriers of genetic diseases for reproducing, though.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

One thing to note though is that there are obvious questions of power imbalances that need to be brought up. I'm extremely socially liberal, but I have to take issue with the constant throwing around of the term "consenting adults", as if the age of 18 bestows magical powers of self-responsibility as soon as one attains it, as if it has a fundamental moral basis rather than a culturally dependent one.

I don't think the state can make the determination of when someone's truly mature enough for sex, incestuous or otherwise. The criteria for it would have to be made available in advance and be simple enough for a layman to know if he were about to break the law, and an age is about the best we can do for an objective and simple measure of maturity.
Sometimes you have to admit that a moral injustice may take place, like a controlling partner in a legally consensual sexual relationship, and that there's nothing that the government can do about it without severely curtailing the freedoms of others. Besides, a case of genuine abuse by parents could be prosecuted as rape regardless of incest laws, in the same way as an abusive uncle or stepparent would be at the moment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
We don't fine carriers of genetic diseases for reproducing, though.

We probably should for very serious things like Cystic Fibrosis..
See people always bring up this argument that its two consenting adults to compare incest with homosexuality.But theres a difference.Gay people are only attracted to members of the same sex.People who commit incest are not exclusively attracted to their own relatives they could have satisfying relationships with any other person but they choose to have a relationship with a relative.So with incest there is an element of choice,with being gay there is no choice so its flawed to compare the two.And yes I do think incest should be illegal.
We probably should for very serious things like Cystic Fibrosis..

Ha, well at least you're consistent.

I think attempting something like that would be opening a can of worms though! :p: Might be difficult to "draw the line" - eg, there are plenty of undesirable traits that will have multiple genetic influences etc.
Original post by Robby2312
See people always bring up this argument that its two consenting adults to compare incest with homosexuality.But theres a difference.Gay people are only attracted to members of the same sex.People who commit incest are not exclusively attracted to their own relatives they could have satisfying relationships with any other person but they choose to have a relationship with a relative.So with incest there is an element of choice,with being gay there is no choice so its flawed to compare the two.And yes I do think incest should be illegal.

What about people who are attracted to both men and women? They have a choice too.
You baited me with that title. **Tips hat**
If it results in a pregnancy, I would probably give them a fine due to the chance of producing children with birth defects.

A 40+ woman getting pregnant has similar defects risks. You going to fine them as well?
Ha, well at least you're consistent.

I think attempting something like that would be opening a can of worms though! :p: Might be difficult to "draw the line" - eg, there are plenty of undesirable traits that will have multiple genetic influences etc.

Well, If I were to draw the line I would say something that will make life nigh impossible if it is the phenotype.
Original post by Trinculo
If they were grandfather and grandaughter?

how does that change anything?
What about people who are attracted to both men and women? They have a choice too.

There isnt any negative effects from being bisexual though with incest there is.Even chimps have a taboo against incest.
There isnt any negative effects from being bisexual though with incest there is.Even chimps have a taboo against incest.

What would you say are the unique negative effects of incest? (Assuming the individuals are both adults, of course.)
What would you say are the unique negative effects of incest? (Assuming the individuals are both adults, of course.)

Inbreeding.Causes genetic defects in children.And also quite often its an abusive relationship.
Inbreeding.Causes genetic defects in children.And also quite often its an abusive relationship.

Does that mean you're ok with incest if the couple are infertile and there is no abuse involved?

Those reasons aren't just limited to incest couples anyway.

Non-incestuous relationships can also be abusive. Surely it's abuse that should be illegal, not incest? Incestuous relationships are not necessarily abusive.

Genetic defects have many causes. That is absolutely not exclusive to incest. Would you ban older women from having children, due to the increased risk of Down Syndrome? Would you ban 2 carriers of cystic fibrosis from reproducing? What about a couple where both people have a strong family history of cardiovascular disease? That might put the child at increased risk etc etc etc.
Original post by SeanFM
In my opinion, or if I had my way, it would not depend on how close they are or what their relation is. And the example you've mentioned doesnt make it any better, not least when you're set up by someone to have this happen.

Does that mean you would punish people who have diseases that can be transmitted to the foetus for having sex?
Punish them legally, no.

Humiliate them for being dirty bastards?
Reply 39
You guys are seriously sick. How can you have the nerve to justify incest?

Quick Reply

Latest