The Student Room Group

Opinion/Advice needed about getting into IBD

Hi guys, I graduated this year from Newcastle University with a BSc in Biomedical Sciences. I got interested in pursuing a career in investment banking (M&A to be more specific) during my second year and it was too late then to apply for internships (which I was unlikely to secure since Newcastle isnt exactly a target uni for investment banks).
Now that I have graduated, I have secured a place at LSE for the Diploma in Accounting and Finance and I'm planning to continue into the MSc the year after. I managed to get a summer internship at a small commercial bank which I thought is better than nothing and a bit relevant to finance.
My question to you is, what is the best course of action now? I don't think I would be able to secure a spring insight since those are reserved for first years and the summer internship at BB are for penultimate year students (except for a few). Do you think it is possible to secure a BB internship in the summer between my diploma and the masters? What are other ways to maxmise my chances into getting into IBD?

Thanks!! :smile:
Reply 1
I'm no expert, but from what I've read, you should try and get more extra curricula, join societies become the leader of them or whatever you call it and also start networking and get your name our there, maybe with the right links you can secure a internship or interview for the job after your course,

I do not know if what I'm saying is correct, so probably wait for
@Princepieman
@Trapz99
@gr8wizard

Bump this tomorrow or something of they aren't awake for

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AdeptDz
I'm no expert, but from what I've read, you should try and get more extra curricula, join societies become the leader of them or whatever you call it and also start networking and get your name our there, maybe with the right links you can secure a internship or interview for the job after your course,

I do not know if what I'm saying is correct, so probably wait for
@Princepieman
@Trapz99
@gr8wizard

Bump this tomorrow or something of they aren't awake for

Posted from TSR Mobile

^Pretty much this.

President of a society will look good. Try to go to as many networking events/presentations you can (shouldn't be too hard at LSE). Otherwise it looks like you're in good stance.
Reply 3
Original post by vela1
^Pretty much this.

President of a society will look good. Try to go to as many networking events/presentations you can (shouldn't be too hard at LSE). Otherwise it looks like you're in good stance.

cool, are you an aspiring IB too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ttsnewlse
Hi guys, I graduated this year from Newcastle University with a BSc in Biomedical Sciences. I got interested in pursuing a career in investment banking (M&A to be more specific) during my second year and it was too late then to apply for internships (which I was unlikely to secure since Newcastle isnt exactly a target uni for investment banks).
Now that I have graduated, I have secured a place at LSE for the Diploma in Accounting and Finance and I'm planning to continue into the MSc the year after. I managed to get a summer internship at a small commercial bank which I thought is better than nothing and a bit relevant to finance.
My question to you is, what is the best course of action now? I don't think I would be able to secure a spring insight since those are reserved for first years and the summer internship at BB are for penultimate year students (except for a few). Do you think it is possible to secure a BB internship in the summer between my diploma and the masters? What are other ways to maxmise my chances into getting into IBD?

Thanks!! :smile:

My question to you is, what is the best course of action now?

Apply

Do you think it is possible to secure a BB internship in the summer between my diploma and the masters?

Yes

What are other ways to maxmise my chances into getting into IBD?

Network and build your CV

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman

Apply

Do you think it is possible to secure a BB internship in the summer between my diploma and the masters?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, well I think I should say thank you. I wasn't far off at least

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by AdeptDz
cool, are you an aspiring IB too

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I've considered it as a career option, was in two minds for quite a while so researched it. That changed after a friend of mine secured his place in IB and just completed his first year as an analyst. Having been given an actual picture of what it entails I'm sure its not for me.
Reply 7
Original post by vela1
No I've considered it as a career option, was in two minds for quite a while so researched it. That changed after a friend of mine secured his place in IB and just completed his first year as an analyst. Having been given an actual picture of what it entails I'm sure its not for me.

What was the picture? The long hours?
Reply 8
Original post by AdeptDz
What was the picture? The long hours?

Sort of. As in I already knew beforehand but actually hearing it from a person as opposed the internet that a normal day is 8am to 9pm gave me confirmation? If that makes sense. He also told me theres a fair bit of politics in the work place and a lot of kissing up to the one's higher up the ladder. He's told me he is put off and is only continuing 2 more years, till his graduate programme finishes. Then wants to go into supply chain or summa'.

Good thing with banking is it makes you a chameleon i.e you can easily adapt to new situations. In terms of personal development, its probably the best profession.
Reply 9
Original post by vela1
Sort of. As in I already knew beforehand but actually hearing it from a person as opposed the internet that a normal day is 8am to 9pm gave me confirmation? If that makes sense. He also told me theres a fair bit of politics in the work place and a lot of kissing up to the one's higher up the ladder. He's told me he is put off and is only continuing 2 more years, till his graduate programme finishes. Then wants to go into supply chain or summa'.

Good thing with banking is it makes you a chameleon i.e you can easily adapt to new situations. In terms of personal development, its probably the best profession.

8am-9pm, that ain't as bad as I thought it was like 12pm and I was still willing, it could be fun your also around other people and I doubt you're constantly working and apparently it's not that hard plus some people enjoy it like gr8wizard10. I don't really mind about kissing up of whatever of it gets you places and it will happen to you in return then yeah but everyone's different, what path are you on now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by AdeptDz
8am-9pm, that ain't as bad as I thought it was like 12pm and I was still willing, it could be fun your also around other people and I doubt you're constantly working and apparently it's not that hard plus some people enjoy it like gr8wizard10. I don't really mind about kissing up of whatever of it gets you places and it will happen to you in return then yeah but everyone's different, what path are you on now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I wasn't trying to put you off lol, just my reasons for not pursuing it. I hope to go into oil and gas, I have a few family members in the industry so they can put in a good word. Then the dream is, to pump all the money into property along with my two brothers and hopefully I'll just be in real estate.
Yh yh I know I was more trying to make you change your mind but It probably won't work, good luck with your path, must be a coincidence but I was thinking the same thing because my 2 sisters are getting in to real estate so that was a plan too if I had the time and money but I'm still so young

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz

Posted from TSR Mobile

No the hours vary a lot. On busy days it can be 9am-1am, on calm days it can be 9am-9pm or 10pm
Original post by Trapz99
No the hours vary a lot. On busy days it can be 9am-1am, on calm days it can be 9am-9pm or 10pm

Oh oh, thanks for clearing that up 👍🏾 ; I heard as you move up hours get less, but not by that much, like around 8/10 pm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
Oh oh, thanks for clearing that up 👍🏾 ; I heard as you move up hours get less, but not by that much, like around 8/10 pm

Posted from TSR Mobile

It goes from super long analyst hours, associate hours being slightly less but still long, VP hours cutting back to 12 a day, then 50-60 hrs as an MD/ED but lots of travelling.

Ofc this is just coverage/m&a within IBD, capital markets is shorter hours and S&T/Research/AM same again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15

Apply

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply man. But what would you suggest for building my CV? it is quite a short gap between now and the deadlines for the bb internships without putting in mind the ones on a rolling basis.
Do you think it is better that I wait until I am registered at LSE for the academic year and have went to multiple networking events before I submit my application?
It goes from super long analyst hours, associate hours being slightly less but still long, VP hours cutting back to 12 a day, then 50-60 hrs as an MD/ED but lots of travelling.

Ofc this is just coverage/m&a within IBD, capital markets is shorter hours and S&T/Research/AM same again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ttsnewlse
Thanks for your reply man. But what would you suggest for building my CV? it is quite a short gap between now and the deadlines for the bb internships without putting in mind the ones on a rolling basis.
Do you think it is better that I wait until I am registered at LSE for the academic year and have went to multiple networking events before I submit my application?

Alright so typically for summers I'd advise you apply early to mid September. But, you could wait until you've at least joined a few LSE societies so that you can place them on your CV. Or, you could apply earlier but just place the societies you're going to join preemptively.

There's not much you can really do (which is why it would have been a good idea to do stuff whilst at your current uni rather than leaving it til now), anyway so just cross your fingers you get a bite.

Networking through linkedin and through the sessions you mentioned (and I mean following up/meeting for coffees in London not just a one time thing) might tip your odds in your favour.

Otherwise, get a crisp CV + cover letters up, apply, prep for tests/interviews and hope for the best.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending