The Student Room Group

Will there be a General Election soon?

There is a bit of a buzz about this in the media, (especially about an amendment to the Fixed Parliament Act) which suggests that Theresa May is at least giving the matter some thought.

There are two aspects it seems to me which are connected but by no means the same, obviously. What is good for the country, and what is good for the Tories and May herself.

On the first point, post Brexit, we need stability, and an effective government to negotiate our withdrawal. And to manage the economy through difficult times, with a stubborn deficit, which would be exacerbated by any recession.

So do we need the instability of an election, (for which there is no constitutional or political imperative since the Tories have a working majority) at this difficult, dangerous and crucial time?

The flip side to that is that post Brexit this parliament seems discredited in democratic terms. The country on a more than 70% turnout voted by a majoirity against the electoral platform of Labour, the Lib Dems and the majority of Conservative MP's.

If we are to reflect that reality the Government (any Administration) needs a fresh mandate.

Turning to the person making the decision, it seems to be a no brainer. All the Tories need to do is to conduct the overdue boundary review and if they hold an election they will get a landslide with Labour in its current state.

If I were Prime Minister (sadly I am not) that is what I would do in a heart beat. It is just too tempting to smash Labour to smithereens and win yourself a stonking majority.

Thoughts?
The Tories are likely to win a large majority even if the election is under the current boundaries.

May could use an election to strengthen her position. She's already brought in to her cabinet some of the key rebels from the Cameron years, but has alienated others (eg Gove), so her majority at the moment is still weak. An election would give her a better position to do what she wants and also get her own mandate to 1) be PM and 2) activate article 50.

She would be daft not to do this, maybe as soon as November, but certainly by May next year.

And we shouldn't worry about the fix term Parliament act. Yes, it says it needs a super majority to vote for an election, but 1) Corbyn said a few weeks ago that May should call an election, so presumably enough Labour MPs would vote for it, but also 2) the act could be repealed by a simple majority and then May could call an election whenever she wants. It's weak and poor legislation that was all for effect and keeping Cameron in power for the full 5 years but in reality has no substance or importance.
Reply 2
Original post by RK
The Tories are likely to win a large majority even if the election is under the current boundaries.

Agreed, but the boundary review (which no-one can seriously object to since it should have happened in the last parliament let alone this) has two great effects.

1. It will increase the majority of itself since it favours the Tories. .

2. Corbyn has already stated that if he wins he will use it to deselect centrist and right wing Labour MP's. So (assuming he does win) it will have a crucial impact on Labour's civil war
and probably the size of the landslide in itself.

Original post by RK

And we shouldn't worry about the fix term Parliament act. Yes, it says it needs a super majority to vote for an election, but 1) Corbyn said a few weeks ago that May should call an election, so presumably enough Labour MPs would vote for it, but also 2) the act could be repealed by a simple majority and then May could call an election whenever she wants. It's weak and poor legislation that was all for effect and keeping Cameron in power for the full 5 years but in reality has no substance or importance.

Agreed again.

The Fixed Term Act was always a nonsense, as this situation makes clear.

Also, as you say, how can Labour argue against a General Election?
Original post by generallee
Agreed, but the boundary review (which no-one can seriously object to since it should have happened in the last parliament let alone this) has two great effects.

1. It will increase the majority of itself since it favours the Tories. .

2. Corbyn has already stated that if he wins he will use it to deselect centrist and right wing Labour MP's. So (assuming he does win) it will have a crucial impact on Labour's civil war
and probably the size of the landslide in itself.

I think that while you can't argue against the need for an boundary review is overdue, you can argue against the the specific legislation that forms the current plans due to the arbitrary and restrictive rules is places on those conducting the review. On the one hand, as we saw the draft boundaries a few years ago, it creates some absurd and disjointed constituencies and on the other hand, the rules are in effect gerrymandering by the Tories to make constituencies which favour them.

Agreed again.

The Fixed Term Act was always a nonsense, as this situation makes clear.

Also, as you say, how can Labour argue against a General Election?

It would be hard for Labour to argue against a GE, but there is technically no need for one. May does not need her own mandate and convention is that she shouldn't need to, which has a lot of weight in the UK constitution, given it's not written.
Reply 4
Original post by RK
I think that while you can't argue against the need for an boundary review is overdue, you can argue against the the specific legislation that forms the current plans due to the arbitrary and restrictive rules is places on those conducting the review. On the one hand, as we saw the draft boundaries a few years ago, it creates some absurd and disjointed constituencies and on the other hand, the rules are in effect gerrymandering by the Tories to make constituencies which favour them.

It would be hard for Labour to argue against a GE, but there is technically no need for one. May does not need her own mandate and convention is that she shouldn't need to, which has a lot of weight in the UK constitution, given it's not written.

To your first point, "what are the arbitrary and restrictive rules" you refer to?

If Labour isn't happy with the review procedures, wasn't it incumbent on them to win a general election (under the boundaries which favoured them!) so they could frame them to their preferred method?

To your second, if Theresa May decides to hold an election she is perfectly within her rights in constitutional terms. That is one of the beauties of an unwritten constitution. It is endlessly flexible!
To your first point, "what are the arbitrary and restrictive rules" you refer to?

Probably the ones that set out how the review is to be conducted. A truly independent review would simply set up a Royal Commission and direct it to "produce fair and democratically accountable constituiencies which provide for equal representation of the people".

If Labour isn't happy with the review procedures, wasn't it incumbent on them to win a general election (under the boundaries which favoured them!) so they could frame them to their preferred method?

Not really no. There are a number of reasons this is a nonsensical statement to make, but here are a few...

Boundaries don't feature in elections - the electorate don't really care.

It isn't incumbent on any political party to win anything - it is incumbent upon them to offer the people a choice and, in the constituencies in which they are returned, effectively represent all their constituents no matter what political persuasion.

You are misstating Parliamentary democracy and how it is supposed to function. For your statement to hold, there would be no official opposition - the answer everytime the opposition did their job would be "well, it was incumbent on you to win if you think that". Also, the Tory MPs are not the Government - the executive is the Government and the Tory MPs should be as equally as Labour holding them to account on behalf of their constituents. In reality they don't, but that is because our system of Parliamentary democracy is broken - which is a different point.

To your second, if Theresa May decides to hold an election she is perfectly within her rights in constitutional terms. That is one of the beauties of an unwritten constitution. It is endlessly flexible!

That's what he was saying - he said she is not constitutionally required to hold one, but it doesn't make holding one wrong
A general election now would probably murder Labour.

In a way, it would be good if they got a wake up call, and got new strong leadership etc. I don't want them to win come 2020, but shooting fish in barrels is no fun:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Ethereal
Probably the ones that set out how the review is to be conducted. A truly independent review would simply set up a Royal Commission and direct it to "produce fair and democratically accountable constituiencies which provide for equal representation of the people".

Not really no. There are a number of reasons this is a nonsensical statement to make, but here are a few...

Boundaries don't feature in elections - the electorate don't really care.

It isn't incumbent on any political party to win anything - it is incumbent upon them to offer the people a choice and, in the constituencies in which they are returned, effectively represent all their constituents no matter what political persuasion.

You are misstating Parliamentary democracy and how it is supposed to function. For your statement to hold, there would be no official opposition - the answer everytime the opposition did their job would be "well, it was incumbent on you to win if you think that". Also, the Tory MPs are not the Government - the executive is the Government and the Tory MPs should be as equally as Labour holding them to account on behalf of their constituents. In reality they don't, but that is because our system of Parliamentary democracy is broken - which is a different point.

You seem to have missed my point, so I will restate it. :smile:

If a political party is unhappy with the terms by which a (supposedly independent) boundary review is to be conducted by the government of the day it really is a shame.

But if they had won the election THEY could have set the terms of that review.
You seem to have missed my point, so I will restate it. :smile:

If a political party is unhappy with the terms by which a (supposedly independent) boundary review is to be conducted by the government of the day it really is a shame.

But if they had won the election THEY could have set the terms of that review.

This is perfectly true, but it's a slightly different point to "if you're unhappy with X it was incumbent upon you to win Y to prevent it"...
NO! The opposition is in complete tatters at the moment and can't even decide on their leader and direction of the party. How on earth will they be able to challenge the conservatives and provide a better alternative if no one even knows what the Labour Party stand for anymore
If there was an election this year I could see Labour not even be the second biggest party. Why would MPs who will lose their job at the next election vote for this?
There is absolutely zero chance of a general election.

Three excellent reasons for this:
1. Boundaries changes not until 2017.

2. There's 4 years left til a mandatory GE. We only had a general election last year where the Tories got a substantial mandate.

3. A failed GE is the only thing that is going to make Jeremy Corbyn step down from power. The longer it goes til a GE, the longer JC stays in power, tearing the Labour party apart.

The only thing that will cause a general election is if Tory backbenchers start rebelling against the Government and the government can no longer pass legislation with its slender majority.

SS
It would certainly work in the Tory's favour.

It is actually a good thing to have an opposition though. It would be a shame to see it completely wiped out.
Original post by KingBradly
It would certainly work in the Tory's favour.

It is actually a good thing to have an opposition though. It would be a shame to see it completely wiped out.

Not when it is the Labour Party, the most evil party to have ever had political influence in the history of the UK.
If she does she is estimated to gain 40 seats and labour will loose nearly 80 so I say go on do it
Reply 15
There is a bit of a buzz about this in the media, (especially about an amendment to the Fixed Parliament Act) which suggests that Theresa May is at least giving the matter some thought.

There are two aspects it seems to me which are connected but by no means the same, obviously. What is good for the country, and what is good for the Tories and May herself.

On the first point, post Brexit, we need stability, and an effective government to negotiate our withdrawal. And to manage the economy through difficult times, with a stubborn deficit, which would be exacerbated by any recession.

So do we need the instability of an election, (for which there is no constitutional or political imperative since the Tories have a working majority) at this difficult, dangerous and crucial time?

The flip side to that is that post Brexit this parliament seems discredited in democratic terms. The country on a more than 70% turnout voted by a majoirity against the electoral platform of Labour, the Lib Dems and the majority of Conservative MP's.

If we are to reflect that reality the Government (any Administration) needs a fresh mandate.

Turning to the person making the decision, it seems to be a no brainer. All the Tories need to do is to conduct the overdue boundary review and if they hold an election they will get a landslide with Labour in its current state.

If I were Prime Minister (sadly I am not) that is what I would do in a heart beat. It is just too tempting to smash Labour to smithereens and win yourself a stonking majority.

Thoughts?

The odds of holding a General Election now are very slim due to the Fixed Parliament Act meaning if this was to happen MPs would have to do a VoN in the Government or something else I guess but most likely a VoN. With Theresa May as the PM and the Tory leader, her position at the moment is very strong. As a Labour supporter, I think she's capable of offering us the stability that Britain needs following Brexit. In terms of problems economically, it will not be easy and nobody has said it will be easy; however, with the appointment of Phillip Hammond, I think May has picked the right person who can make Brexit work and most importantly how this benefits our economy compared to the "fat cat" Osbourne.

I think calling for a General Election now is unreasonable as we've already spent months campaigning for the EU referendum and now with the result, we should be getting on with negotiations etc not wasting more time! I know some people want a General Election on the basis that May doesn't have a "mandate to run the Govt" but personally I think we're better off getting started with the job ahead, especially carrying out Brexit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by niteninja1
If she does she is estimated to gain 40 seats and labour will loose nearly 80 so I say go on do it

Even if May sticks with the Fixed Parliament Act, Labour will still lose as many seats should it remain in its current state - full of uncertainty and tensions. Corbyn is unfit for leader IMO as a Labour supporter but can Owen Smith really deliver his ambitious policies and fight against Theresa May? I really don't know.
I hope may is PM for many many more years
Original post by The_Opinion
Not when it is the Labour Party, the most evil party to have ever had political influence in the history of the UK.

Shame we can't have the lib dems as opposition. I still like Clegg.
Original post by KingBradly
Shame we can't have the lib dems as opposition. I still like Clegg.

The kind of reasons that make the Labour Party evil also apply to the Lib Dems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending