The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

*peeks in nervously*

Hi people! Long-time lurker here, only now plucked up the courage to join in and post...
Just found out I passed first year, so the whole med school thing won't all come crashing down around my ears just yet and it's safe to introduce myself as a second-year. Didn't want to jinx myself, you know? :biggrin:
We got our second year results last week (passed woo) but the writtens pass mark was pretty high at 62%. It's always been 50-55%.
Most people passed with 15 failing.

How's the pass mark with other medical schools like?
Original post by Mrs House
We got our second year results last week (passed woo) but the writtens pass mark was pretty high at 62%. It's always been 50-55%.

Our pass mark was something like 53% usually set at 50%, no idea how many failed as our ranks haven't come
Out yet.

62% from 50-55% is a massive leap, did you feel the exams were super easy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think ours is usually about 60%, or so it's rumoured. (I don't know where to look to find out for sure.) I guess it varies year on year based on how difficult the papers are deemed to be?
Reply 144
Original post by Lionheartat20
Anyone else dislike the BNF online formulary navigation system?

I had to complete an exercise using drug conversion charts on the online BNF and they all seem hidden.

I can't simply type Diazepam and - easily - see a conversion of Diazepam to other benzodiazepines. Unless I was being blind :tongue:
Instead I have to search "Benzodiazepines".

I can't simply type prednisolone. So I used my recently gained knowledge of the above to search corticosteroids. Nope - I have to navigate into Glucocorticoid therapy.

I know it's trying to be very structured but it seems information is not necessarily easy to get to. That's a general rant about the online BNF - not just conversion charts!

:unimpressed:

Currently trying to use the "NICE BNF" app on the ward to save myself hunting down a paper BNF. It's terrible. The search function doesn't work properly and it can't seem to bring up the information you want.*
Original post by Natalierm2707
Our pass mark was something like 53% usually set at 50%, no idea how many failed as our ranks haven't come
Out yet.

62% from 50-55% is a massive leap, did you feel the exams were super easy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Brockle
I think ours is usually about 60%, or so it's rumoured. (I don't know where to look to find out for sure.) I guess it varies year on year based on how difficult the papers are deemed to be?

Well almost everyone came out of the SAQ feeling it was super easy but then we had 2 MCQ papers which everyone thought was really difficult. Once again, testing us on stuff we haven't learnt!!!

It was worse for the first years as I heard 25 failed the written :/
Well almost everyone came out of the SAQ feeling it was super easy but then we had 2 MCQ papers which everyone thought was really difficult. Once again, testing us on stuff we haven't learnt!!!

It was worse for the first years as I heard 25 failed the written :/

No idea how many are in your year so not sure how bad 25 is, in the year above me (when they were in first year) 10% of the year failed, which for me was a massive amount (30 people).
Original post by Anonymous
No idea how many are in your year so not sure how bad 25 is, in the year above me (when they were in first year) 10% of the year failed, which for me was a massive amount (30 people).

That's around 170 each year so that's 14% :/
Original post by Anonymous

again that was not supposed to be anon.

Ours is always high 50s to mid 60s, but I think that's because I'm on a gem course. Our undergrad course has significantly lower pass marks for their exams for some reason!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JenniB22
Ours is always high 50s to mid 60s, but I think that's because I'm on a gem course. Our undergrad course has significantly lower pass marks for their exams for some reason!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite unfair to have a high pass mark in GEM because you guys have a LOT more to cover in 1 semester
Reply 151
Quite unfair to have a high pass mark in GEM because you guys have a LOT more to cover in 1 semester

No medical school uses an absolute pass mark (i.e. "this exam we want everyone to get 40%"), most use Angoff or modified Angoff. Higher pass marks actually mean the exam questions are easier or don't require as much in-depth knowledge, which would make sense if they're covering loads on GEM but want to test a broad range of knowledge.
13909380_1378568578837431_9089684196895943399_o.jpg

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.
What's the highest fail % you've seen in OSCE stations? One of our (absolute joke of an) OSCE stations had a 33% fail rate.
Original post by That Bearded Man
What's the highest fail % you've seen in OSCE stations? One of our (absolute joke of an) OSCE stations had a 33% fail rate.

Not sure on the % fail but we once had an OSCE station where the pass mark was 7/30...
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Not sure on the % fail but we once had an OSCE station where the pass mark was 7/30...

Haha you're kidding? What was the task out of curiosity?
Haha you're kidding? What was the task out of curiosity?

It was a video of a stroke patient where you had to list the clinical signs and then answer some questions about types of stroke and management etc.

None of us could understand why we all did so badly on it, as it seemed like a fairly straightforward station!*
Say hello to the new CEO of the GMC

[video="youtube;lMlA4gPtrBk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMlA4gPtrBk[/video]
Reply 158
Eeeek George's is in clearing for medicine!
Original post by That Bearded Man

I failed a modified CVS exam (asking for just inspection and palpation) with 65%, though others with different examiners passed with less. No idea what happened there, didn't have any negative feedback on my feedback sheets either! :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending