The Student Room Group

ABBB resit

Hello,
I have just received my CIE AS results and feel quite disappointed.
B(74)-Biology
B(78)-Chemistry
B(79)-Maths
A(81)-Physics
I think I was predicted 4 As.
I don't really know if I should resit or drop subjects.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
I personally would not. I know it sucks right now but ABBB is really good! I got BBBC last year, got predicted AAA for A2 and now have an offer for Durham and Warwick. Waiting on the 18th to know whats happening!

To go cambridge, those results are not ideal (however i do know someone who got in for an A*AA course with ABBB at AS, psychology or something). It depends where you want to go and what you want to do.

Drop one of the Bs, weakest one would be best, work hard at A2 and remember how you feel now. Work to not feel it again (: Its more than possible to go up one grade at A2.

Best of luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by nobodycarescarla
I personally would not. I know it sucks right now but ABBB is really good! I got BBBC last year, got predicted AAA for A2 and now have an offer for Durham and Warwick. Waiting on the 18th to know whats happening!

To go cambridge, those results are not ideal (however i do know someone who got in for an A*AA course with ABBB at AS, psychology or something). It depends where you want to go and what you want to do.

Drop one of the Bs, weakest one would be best, work hard at A2 and remember how you feel now. Work to not feel it again (: Its more than possible to go up one grade at A2.

Best of luck!

Do you think remarking the maths(at least) would help ?
Maths tends to be pretty right or wrong and set in the mark scheme, so it's rare for remarking to help (recounting can), whereas sciences tend to have a bit more room for potentially subjective marks which you could pick up.
Original post by mat7276
Hello,
I have just received my CIE AS results and feel quite disappointed.
B(74)-Biology
B(78)-Chemistry
B(79)-Maths
A(81)-Physics
I think I was predicted 4 As.
I don't really know if I should resit or drop subjects.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Those are relatively good grades, most people i have heard from have barely got grades as good as those. I think you should ask for remarks (except for Physics). But i know the agony of being 1% or 2% of the grade you wanted. I got 79% in Chemistry and 78%, haha what bad luck.

You probably shouldn't resit it, unless you have the time and are 100% sure you will definitely get the grade you want.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Those are relatively good grades, most people i have heard from have barely got grades as good as those. I think you should ask for remarks (except for Physics). But i know the agony of being 1% or 2% of the grade you wanted. I got 79% in Chemistry and 78%, haha what bad luck.

You probably shouldn't resit it, unless you have the time and are 100% sure you will definitely get the grade you want.

I know there not bad but I was really hoping for better.
In biology I had always gotten A*s or As during mocks and tests.
Do you think I can get an A or A* in maths next year with the grade I got ?
Original post by mat7276
I know there not bad but I was really hoping for better.
In biology I had always gotten A*s or As during mocks and tests.
Do you think I can get an A or A* in maths next year with the grade I got ?
I have not done A Level cie Maths so i cannot completely say, but I think with any A2 course the work becomes more difficult than AS and so it will be relatively harder to get an A or even an A*. Similar to AS there is also a chance of you losing that 1 mark, that might have given you your desired grade. I can't say with certainty whether you could get an A or A* in math, but with 79% in AS math i don't think a 1% margin from an A would be exceedingly detrimental to your chances of getting an A or A*, so i would say you're in a pretty okay spot to get the A or A*. I think you're in a pretty good spot, but if you want a remark or resit take in mind that your percentage could possibly go up or down and your grade could go up or down to, just do so if you are sure it would massively help.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mat7276
Do you think remarking the maths(at least) would help ?

If you feel like you did better, yes. If you can resit units, resit your weakest ones (max 2) during your A2 year.
Reply 8
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I think I will drop Bio and retake chem and or maths.
I will see in which papers I did better and worst first before choosing.

Quick Reply

Latest