The Student Room Group

I can't seem to get a job..

So I'm a student and only look for jobs around the Summer period [June-early sept]. Last year I applied to probably hundreds of jobs during this time and never heard back, not even an interview. I accepted that because I was seventeen and didn't have much experience, it was to be expected.

After this I gained a lot of experience whilst studying doing voluntary work. I've worked in a charity shop for nearly a year, I've completed three months working in a nursing home, I've volunteered in a hospital, I've also mentored young children and volunteered to do public surveys to improve the NHS. All of this has been over the course of a year and many of these, I'm still doing today.

I was a lot more positive when applying for jobs this year with me being eighteen and having a range of experience in different fields. I started applying for jobs around end of June mainly in retail but also some other fields of work. Most of the time, I never hear back or am rejected a couple of days after with no explanation why, I'm very flexible with my times as well.
But this year, I got invited to three interviews and was rejected after the interview at all three. I made sure to prepare thoroughly for those I wanted, researching appropriate customer service answers and applying my work experience to different situations etc. Following one of my interviews, I asked for feedback, and the employer said in this words exactly - I'm happy with you, you seem very knowledgable and you have a lot of relevant experience which makes you seem like a suitable candidate for this post.
And it's saddens me further when you go into retail stores and some of the employees can't speak fluent english and are quite rude. And I just think to myself what have they got that I haven't? Are my interviews that bad?

Sorry for the long post, I just feel so disheartened because I planned to take a gap year but now I think I should just go to University because I won't be able to get a job especially when all my friends have a job and lots of poeple are employed at 16. Does anyone have a similar situation with a positive outcome?
Reply 1
It can be very difficult, I had to apply for quite a few jobs and have a very good CV (12 GCSEs A-C; voluntary work; campaign work; worl in politics; several work experience placements including one in a school working with SEN kids; numerous online courses, etc), and after all that, all I could get was a low paid job at a supermarket with less than ideal hours, and it took me four months of applications to get that. If you keep at it, you'll find somewhere. I'd recommend supermarkets, big high street stores, etc. If you can't get somewhere now, I'd recommend trying into September/October, you'll be up against less people. If you still can't, I'd recommend temporary jobs at Christmas, there's more around, and they often take on people after then if they're good. Good luck in finding somewhere! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jb1702
It can be very difficult, I had to apply for quite a few jobs and have a very good CV (12 GCSEs A-C; voluntary work; campaign work; worl in politics; several work experience placements including one in a school working with SEN kids; numerous online courses, etc), and after all that, all I could get was a low paid job at a supermarket with less than ideal hours, and it took me four months of applications to get that. If you keep at it, you'll find somewhere. I'd recommend supermarkets, big high street stores, etc. If you can't get somewhere now, I'd recommend trying into September/October, you'll be up against less people. If you still can't, I'd recommend temporary jobs at Christmas, there's more around, and they often take on people after then if they're good. Good luck in finding somewhere! :smile:

They don't care about qualifications much, I have GCSE's at mainly A*/A and 4 A's at AS and it hasn't made a difference. I'll try around them and Christmas, thank you so much for your reply.
Reply 3
Original post by AqsaMx
They don't care about qualifications much, I have GCSE's at mainly A*/A and 4 A's at AS and it hasn't made a difference. I'll try around them and Christmas, thank you so much for your reply.

Ok. I think the only qualification they're reallh interested in is a C or above in English Language and Maths GCSEs. Also, just out of interest, where have you applied so far?
I'm in the exact same position as you. I'm 17 and have work experience, tons of volunteering, extra curriculars, 10 GCSE A*-B grades, but I've barely got anything. I did get a random job at a bake sale for a day for minimum wage, but for what it was it was a wonderful job. I had two interviews for a waitressing job, but I was on holiday during the training sessions and the company said they'd email me back regarding my application, but never did even after I sent enquiries. I had an interview at EAT and they only asked me two questions, which I think I answered very well, but I was still rejected. I understand your frustration, it's so hard. Try looking at lesser known job sites and maybe try an agency? Christmas temp jobs are also a good option. Good luck.
Also, one of my teachers told me I was rejected because I'm overqualified and the company want people who will stay and aim to move to higher positions, whereas I'm going to university which suggests otherwise lol
Im the same...i do have a job starting at the end of september but i have nothing to live on till then!

Been trying to look, *no luck!​

I have "agencies" im signed up with, but work becomes non exsistent in the summer.*
Original post by AqsaMx
So I'm a student and only look for jobs around the Summer period [June-early sept]. Last year I applied to probably hundreds of jobs during this time and never heard back, not even an interview. I accepted that because I was seventeen and didn't have much experience, it was to be expected.

After this I gained a lot of experience whilst studying doing voluntary work. I've worked in a charity shop for nearly a year, I've completed three months working in a nursing home, I've volunteered in a hospital, I've also mentored young children and volunteered to do public surveys to improve the NHS. All of this has been over the course of a year and many of these, I'm still doing today.

I was a lot more positive when applying for jobs this year with me being eighteen and having a range of experience in different fields. I started applying for jobs around end of June mainly in retail but also some other fields of work. Most of the time, I never hear back or am rejected a couple of days after with no explanation why, I'm very flexible with my times as well.
But this year, I got invited to three interviews and was rejected after the interview at all three. I made sure to prepare thoroughly for those I wanted, researching appropriate customer service answers and applying my work experience to different situations etc. Following one of my interviews, I asked for feedback, and the employer said in this words exactly - I'm happy with you, you seem very knowledgable and you have a lot of relevant experience which makes you seem like a suitable candidate for this post.
And it's saddens me further when you go into retail stores and some of the employees can't speak fluent english and are quite rude. And I just think to myself what have they got that I haven't? Are my interviews that bad?

Sorry for the long post, I just feel so disheartened because I planned to take a gap year but now I think I should just go to University because I won't be able to get a job especially when all my friends have a job and lots of poeple are employed at 16. Does anyone have a similar situation with a positive outcome?

I was in the same position this year. When did you start applying for jobs? I had to secure my summer jobs in May and even before, so this may be an issue. In addition, remember that you are competing against people with tonnes of paid and more relevant experience. Also, a lot of firms don't want to take people on for just a few months.

It's probably too late to secure a summer job for this year, but you could always look into temping via agencies if you can't find a job in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Edminzodo
I was in the same position this year. When did you start applying for jobs? I had to secure my summer jobs in May and even before, so this may be an issue. In addition, remember that you are competing against people with tonnes of paid and more relevant experience. Also, a lot of firms don't want to take people on for just a few months.

It's probably too late to secure a summer job for this year, but you could always look into temping via agencies if you can't find a job in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I started at the end of June and have applied to nearly 50 jobs, some of which are not very well known places but I still applied. I'm taking a gap year so It wouldn't be for a few months anyways.
And as for having relevant experience, I know that some people willl have more experiences. But I have friends who have got themselves jobs in H&M, Subway, WHsmith, and even a bank with no previous experience. But when I apply, I can't seem to even get an interview..
Reply 9
Original post by AqsaMx

Same, it's so hard, it's so competitive right now and I've never managed to get myself a decent job, especially not in retail.

Have you thought about other routes - the only two I've been successful in are promoting for a club (just email your CV to clubs and bars) and working as a note taker at university.

Also do you have someone experienced and successful in this kind of thing who can read your applications? I had someone read my CV when I was 22 and realised I'd been going wrong for ages.

Basically keep trying though, it's so hard and disheartening but just remember for the 1 person who gets the job, there are a lot more who don't, so you aren't the only one struggling, we all do <3
Original post by AqsaMx

It's very disheartening to keep being rejected. There aren't enough jobs to go around any more, and zero hours contracts are everywhere. Not to mention the competition is huge for jobs during summer periods.

Don't blame yourself because chances are you aren't doing something seriously wrong. A lot of people are in the same boat - I was in this situation until recently. You just have to keep trying to find new ways to stand out from other candidates who may have very similar experience to yours.

I was unemployed for a while, and a lot of my graduate friends have been really struggling to find work after uni. Things like talking to people and asking around for opportunities, making your social media look professional, and ringing up companies to follow up on applications are small but very useful actions you can take.

Things have a way of eventually working themselves out, something I have learned recently. Don't give up!
Original post by AqsaMx
I started at the end of June and have applied to nearly 50 jobs, some of which are not very well known places but I still applied. I'm taking a gap year so It wouldn't be for a few months anyways.
And as for having relevant experience, I know that some people willl have more experiences. But I have friends who have got themselves jobs in H&M, Subway, WHsmith, and even a bank with no previous experience. But when I apply, I can't seem to even get an interview..

Starting at the end of June may be your main problem here - for summer jobs, you're applying too late. It takes a couple weeks to go through the interview and hiring process, then another week or two to train new employees. Employers want you ready to work by June, meaning you want to apply April/May time. That said, August is a great time to start applying for jobs again, there's generally quite a few going right now.
You're applying in a very limited window, many people spend months looking for jobs before finding their first proper paid role. I looked for about 3-4 months before getting my first job - perhaps you just need to look for longer? Christmas temp jobs can be a great starter as many places keep on several temps when the seasonal role finishes so by working hard you can often get a permanent role. I would start looking for those as they usually start at the start of September.

Also think about how other things are going, if you're getting interviews that would suggest your CV is good but it might be worth getting it checked. If possible get feedback from interviews if anyone calls you back to make sure you're not doing anything wrong there. You should be okay as far as experience goes, paid employment is always better than volunteering as the standards are generally higher but for someone without a paid job you have various things which show ability to work with customers, responsibility, reliability, a general get up and go attitude etc. Is there anything you could change in what you apply for? E.g. are you starting with minimum wage jobs at places without a great reputation? Are you applying for everything or being picky?
Reply 13
Original post by doodle_333
You're applying in a very limited window, many people spend months looking for jobs before finding their first proper paid role. I looked for about 3-4 months before getting my first job - perhaps you just need to look for longer? Christmas temp jobs can be a great starter as many places keep on several temps when the seasonal role finishes so by working hard you can often get a permanent role. I would start looking for those as they usually start at the start of September.

Also think about how other things are going, if you're getting interviews that would suggest your CV is good but it might be worth getting it checked. If possible get feedback from interviews if anyone calls you back to make sure you're not doing anything wrong there. You should be okay as far as experience goes, paid employment is always better than volunteering as the standards are generally higher but for someone without a paid job you have various things which show ability to work with customers, responsibility, reliability, a general get up and go attitude etc. Is there anything you could change in what you apply for? E.g. are you starting with minimum wage jobs at places without a great reputation? Are you applying for everything or being picky?

I've been applying since last year May though, so it's been well over a year, I just did voluntary at the same time. But I understand it's not easy, I just don't understand how there are people I know who apply once for example, my friend had no experience and applied for H&M and got it on her first go. I'm applying to every job possible and wage isn't a problem as I'm willing to work anywhere really.
OP, look at this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3813957

Look through the whole of the first post.

Literally all the information you need to get a job!
Original post by AqsaMx
I've been applying since last year May though, so it's been well over a year, I just did voluntary at the same time. But I understand it's not easy, I just don't understand how there are people I know who apply once for example, my friend had no experience and applied for H&M and got it on her first go. I'm applying to every job possible and wage isn't a problem as I'm willing to work anywhere really.

Then your applications/CV aren't written correctly - they aren't giving the employer evidence that you have relevant skills. If you've got experience, then it has to be what you are writing that isn't being effective - it's all the information the employer has to judge you on. Put your CV up in the CV up in the CV Help forum and get it reviewed.
Original post by AqsaMx

you said you're only looking for summer jobs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending