The Student Room Group

Official 2016 IGCSE Results Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Does anyone have the grade thresholds for 0522 english language? Thanks.
Reply 61
Original post by Mac117
It's the number next to your grade. 80+ is an A, 90+ is an A*. It does not mean that you got 90% id you're in the 90th percentile. You will never really find out how well you did, just how you compare to the rest of the world

Ok, i see. Are you sure the number is percentile and not percentage? Because no where on the page indicates that it represents the percentile. Oh and is 90 percentile A*, 80 percentile A, etc?
Reply 62
Original post by Mac117
It can vary from subject to subject. It can even stay the same. My friend once went from 89 to 93 but that's the highest jump I've heard of.

So 2% for AddMaths is realistic?
Reply 63
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Did you do 0522 English language?

Yes!! did you??
Did you do 0522 English language?

I did! Had the awful Bee exam
Original post by Român
So 2% for AddMaths is realistic?

Hard to say. Maths is really hard to get more marks in, because you can only hope for workings to bring your grades up. I am not sure whether my grade will go up from 79 to 80 :/ But I'm definitely giving it a try.
Reply 66
Original post by Mac117
It can vary from subject to subject. It can even stay the same. My friend once went from 89 to 93 but that's the highest jump I've heard of.

Not trying to challenge you but how do you know the number represents the percentile and not percentage? I dont see any indications on the webpages showing its percentile. Oh and also, is 90 percentile A*, 80 percentile A etc and so on?
Reply 67
do you guys think i should get a remark for biology? i got an A (89).. do you think 90 is an A*?
Original post by Etank
Ok, i see. Are you sure the number is percentile and not percentage? Because no where on the page indicates that it represents the percentile. Oh and is 90 percentile A*, 80 percentile A, etc?

Yes I'm pretty sure but don't quote me on that. When you look at the grade thresholds from 2015 etc for English for example you'll see you only needed 67/100 for an A* - it was however shown as 90 next to your grade online. That's what my school told me at least, but it also seems logical as A* etc is done after all the results are done.
I was told that the number shown online is where you are in the world (aka how good compared to others).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by nerdcry
do you guys think i should get a remark for biology? i got an A (89).. do you think 90 is an A*?

Yes. 89 means you got 89% UMS mark. UMS works so that A* = 90%, A = 80% and so on. Definitely worth a go.
Original post by Mac117
I did! Had the awful Bee exam

Are you the German guy? I think I can remember you from ages ago! How did it go got you?
Original post by Fynn_99
Yes!! did you??
yeah! I did, what mark fid you get? So I can get a rough idea of GB
Reply 71
Original post by ad4m
Yes. 89 means you got 89% UMS mark. UMS works so that A* = 90%, A = 80% and so on. Definitely worth a go.

what is UMS?
Are you the German guy? I think I can remember you from ages ago! How did it go got you?
yeah! I did, what mark fid you get? So I can get a rough idea of GB

Haha yes I'm the guy from Germany! Apparently it went well as I ended up with an A* :h: Did not expect that at all though, was quite surprised.
Reply 73
Original post by nerdcry
what is UMS?

Its a scaled mark. Basically makes each component representative so that it counts for the % it should do. You don't really need to know much about it, just that 90% UMS is an A* and 80% UMS is an A etc.
Reply 74
Original post by ad4m
Its a scaled mark. Basically makes each component representative so that it counts for the % it should do. You don't really need to know much about it, just that 90% UMS is an A* and 80% UMS is an A etc.

oh ic.. but will my grades drop IF they found a mistake? im worried about this
Reply 75
Original post by nerdcry
oh ic.. but will my grades drop IF they found a mistake? im worried about this

The mark could easily drop. But seeing as your so high in the A grade its extremely unlikely you will end up with a B.

Do not just remark because you're close. Think about the answers to these questions first.

Do you think that you did enough to get an A*?
Did you come out of the exam feeling like you got an A*?
Do your marks from unofficial mark schemes etc. give you enough marks to get A* on the grade thresholds?
Reply 76
Original post by ad4m
Does anyone have the grade thresholds for 0522 english language? Thanks.

Would also like to know because my school is holding all results until 25th.
Original post by ad4m
The mark could easily drop. But seeing as your so high in the A grade its extremely unlikely you will end up with a B.

Do not just remark because you're close. Think about the answers to these questions first.

Do you think that you did enough to get an A*?
Did you come out of the exam feeling like you got an A*?
Do your marks from unofficial mark schemes etc. give you enough marks to get A* on the grade thresholds?

Weird, I was told the grade cannot go down, only up! :redface:
Reply 78
Original post by Mac117
Weird, I was told the grade cannot go down, only up! :redface:

idk if it is different for Cambridge but with all other exam boards a 'review of marking' basically means remarking the paper. Hence the mark can change to be higher or lower.

OCR definitely put them down, I have known a remark to go from a C to a D!
Reply 79
Original post by ad4m
idk if it is different for Cambridge but with all other exam boards a 'review of marking' basically means remarking the paper. Hence the mark can change to be higher or lower.

OCR definitely put them down, I have known a remark to go from a C to a D!

as far as i know, examiners will treat it as if it was a new unmarked paper... so its pretty risky

Quick Reply

Latest