The Student Room Group

lebanese athletes refused to share bus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexanderHam
No wonder the Middle East is ****ed. If they can't even put their hatred aside for a few days every four years, then what hope is there?

I bet they thought they were being really edgy and rebellious, but in reality they just look like dicks. They have no idea of the personal opinions of the Israeli athletes, many of them probably oppose Israel's policies.

It's an example of clear xenophobia

Mate, they did the Israelis a favour. If they had been on the bus it would have bene verbal abuse, physical abuse and likely even fights. This is actually the bets outcome.
Original post by Washington.
This is actually the bets outcome.

There seem to be two benefits: (a) there was no conflict and (b) the rest of the world now understands what the Lebanese are like.
Mate, they did the Israelis a favour. If they had been on the bus it would have bene verbal abuse, physical abuse and likely even fights. This is actually the bets outcome.

"! did the black people a favour by forcing them on the bus; if they'd been allowed on we'd have verbally abused and attacked them so we actually did it for their benefit"
Original post by AlexanderHam
"! did the black people a favour by forcing them on the bus; if they'd been allowed on we'd have verbally abused and attacked them so we actually did it for their benefit"

I didnt realise they taught word twisting at universities.
I didnt realise they taught word twisting at universities.

I'm not twisting your words, I'm applying the logic of your statement to an analogous situation. If you can see that the proposition is untenable in the scenario I posited, surely you would have to accept that has some implications for your own position?

has people become so lazy they won't even post the main body text?
Lebanon are a joke country as far as the Olympics are concerned. Since 1948 (when they first competed) they have won only four medals, and never a gold.

This particular team had no chance of getting a medal in any discipline, (they had already all flown home) they were there to make up the numbers. To show the flag and represent their country on the world stage. As part of the "family" of nations in line with the Olympic ideal.

That worked out well this time didn't it?

It is like an object lesson in how to show up your own country. To revel it as a nation full of hate.

Embarrassing.
Original post by generallee
Lebanon are a joke country as far as the Olympics are concerned. Since 1948 (when they first competed) they have won only four medals, and never a gold.

This particular team had no chance of getting a medal in any discipline, (they had already all flown home) they were there to make up the numbers. To show the flag and represent their country on the world stage. As part of the "family" of nations in line with the Olympic ideal.

That worked out well this time didn't it?

It is like an object lesson in how to show up your own country. To revel it as a nation full of hate.

Embarrassing.

Can't really blame them for feeling hate towards Israel though
Reply 48
Original post by childofthesun
We're not here to talk about Islam.

A reasonable(and rather obvious) assumption would be that the Lebanese team's behaviour is to do with their experiences with Israel(you know,the 2006 war), Israel's massacre of the Lebanese people ,and their continued threats against us.

I wonder if you would be as apologetic to such prejudice if, say, a group of white nationalists refused to be around a group of Muslims using justifications for their behaviour like "our experiences with Muslims (you know, the spate of terrorist attacks)", "Muslims' massacre of Westerners" and "their continued threats against us."
Original post by teenhorrorstory

I see. Apparently you also can't really blame Lebanese for praising their team's behavior as heroic. Exactly as they praised their compatriot Samir Kuntar, the murderer of the whole Israeli family, including 4 year old baby. Indeed, why they should be blamed?

Lebanon is a failed state. That is the top and bottom of this.

It is easy to blame Israel for all their problems, and it is certainly true that Israel has made things far worse by invading and occupying.the south of the country, as they did..

But then the power vacuum caused by Lebanon's implosion was too much of a security issue.

If all the various Lebanese factions didn't hate each other so much and weren't so bent on killing each other, (and on killing Jews), Israel wouldn't have felt the need to intervene.

It needs to look within itself as a society if it wants to become peaceful and prosperous. This bus incident, small as it is, but symbolic all the same, demonstrates that they are a long way away from doing that.

To find peace you have to stop hating.
Arabs at it again, I see.
The state of Israel isn't even Israel, Israel is the Church.
Original post by Mathemagicien
has pipple became so laziness they isnt capitalising first letters or usin properly grammars?

:angry:
Original post by admonit
I see. Apparently you also can't really blame Lebanese for praising their team's behavior as heroic. Exactly as they praised their compatriot Samir Kuntar, the murderer of the whole Israeli family, including 4 year old baby. Indeed, why they should be blamed?

Don't really see what you're getting at?
Don't really see what you're getting at?

I consider your attempt to justify the uncivilized behavior of Lebanese as very problematic, to say the least.
Original post by admonit
I consider your attempt to justify the uncivilized behavior of Lebanese as very problematic, to say the least.

Where did I attempt to justify the behaviour or even say it was acceptable? I simply said that I can understand why Lebanese people may hate Israel.
Where did I attempt to justify the behaviour or even say it was acceptable? I simply said that I can understand why Lebanese people may hate Israel.

Well, since the thread (which you chose to join) is specifically about this behaviour rather than international politics what do you think about the behaviour of the Lebanese team members?

You said nothing about your position regarding this event, but found a time to say about your understanding of their hate. It looks like justification.

Quick Reply

Latest