The Student Room Group

What if I work damn hard but do not achieve what I want as I can't memorise fast?

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Wisefire
I am doing Biology, English Language and Literature and Sociology AS-level and A2-level intensively all within one year at Westminster Kingsway College. Doing them within one year is my only available option if I am to do A-levels.

I've started in the last two weeks revising. I've learned about the first 20 pages of the Biology CGP book, but I have clearly for myself seen I have not been working throughout the day as efficiently as could be so far. I can only sit down and read these books more and more for more of the day. I'm going to try waking up at 6am tomorrow, to go to the gym early in the morning to then have the rest of the day, maybe potentially 8-12 hours, to revise.

What if I work a lot but still cannot for example entirely remember or cannot terribly quickly memorise these revision books?

I am scared I continue the work I'm doing but find the pace I'm learning at is not hasty enough.

Try learning in a different way? I don't know what you're doing exactly, but making flashcards and reviewing regularly might help, or watching Youtube videos about different topics in each subject, or creating mnemonics. Maybe taking notes or drawing diagrams or making mind maps would help you study more effectively?
Thanks. I am writing notes writing directly from the words of the CGP books in front of me. Then I read and reread these notes I've written and I like to cross-check them with the notes in the book, such as sometimes finishing a sentence I have written down with my pen with the equivalent sentence back in the book. But I'll Google into how to learn in these other ways I haven't at all explored yet.

Try rewording sentences as you write (the first time you write them down). If you're just copying, it's really easy to zone out and not actually take any of the information in. If you reword every sentence you write and/or use other methods like colour coding, you're actually focusing on the content so you're more likely to remember them!
I am doing Biology, English Language and Literature and Sociology AS-level and A2-level intensively all within one year at Westminster Kingsway College. Doing them within one year is my only available option if I am to do A-levels.

I've started in the last two weeks revising. I've learned about the first 20 pages of the Biology CGP book, but I have clearly for myself seen I have not been working throughout the day as efficiently as could be so far. I can only sit down and read these books more and more for more of the day. I'm going to try waking up at 6am tomorrow, to go to the gym early in the morning to then have the rest of the day, maybe potentially 8-12 hours, to revise.

What if I work a lot but still cannot for example entirely remember or cannot terribly quickly memorise these revision books?

I am scared I continue the work I'm doing but find the pace I'm learning at is not hasty enough.

If you're learning everything from scratch, it helps to watch Youtube videos (like mentioned before) because some Biology concepts are hard to visualise from just reading a CGP book alone.

Also be careful learning everything ONLY from CGP books because they can sometimes not be in depth enough and you'll end up not knowing key exam points for top grades.

ALSO, practice papers to get exam technique down, but that's after you finished revising. Remember, A Levels are not just about memorising, it's about application. I understood Biology better through exam practice.
Hm alright thanks. It doesn't matter if I'm asking too much but do you know of any particularly good YouTube playlists for Biology (for OCR A)? If you used any particularly good videos could you name for me the channel they were on?

I didn't do OCR A, so I'm not sure who on Youtube does Biology OCR A specific videos, but key people on Youtube are:

Jack A-Level TTC
Crash Course (they have a biology section)
Mr Pollock

I've only watched Crash Course, so i don't know about the rest. And there are plenty more people you can find. You can search it up on Youtube. Good luck :smile:
Work smarter, and a bit harder ^^

Read Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer or watch the TedTalk by the same man. Google all you can about Mind Palaces/method of loci, mnemonics, pegging, etc. Rote memorisation is inefficient
Doing them within one year is my only available option if I am to do A-levels.

y tho.jpg
Reply 7
You need to remember to take breaks through your revision. Make sure you keep hydrated, eat well, get plenty of rest and make sure you actually go outside every now and then (even if it's just for a small walk). Many studies say that the average amount of time someone can concentrate for is about 20 minutes. Obviously this varies for the activity that you're doing, your level of interest and you as a person - everyone's different. You definitely need to remember to take breaks.

The best way to do well in your A Levels is to practise past papers over and over again. Once you have finished a section of something from one subject, you should do past and specimen exam questions on the subject until you feel you understand it thoroughly. Make sure you come back to this as well.

Since you're studying the new A Levels, will you have to take your AS exams, too? It'll take a lot of the pressure off if you just have to do your A2 exams :smile:
Alright, I've looked into that.

What's your study routine?

Quick Reply

Latest