The Student Room Group

My school only allows 3 A-Levels and I want to study medicine at university!!! Help!

My first two a levels I have chosen are Biology and Chemistry because those are required by a lot of universities to get into and I enjoy bio. For my third choice I don't know whether to to physics (which I am better at) or maths.

All advise would be really helpful!!!!
Firstly 3 A levels is fine for medicine, as long as you get 3As in them. Choose the subject you will do better in, physics and maths are equally respected and unless you want to go to one college in Cambridge ( I cant remember which one ) then you wont need maths.
As the poster above me said, 3 A Levels is perfectly fine for Medicine. They would SO much rather you did 3 and absolutely aced them than do 4 and get an average mark and not meet your entry requirements. Which one out of Maths or Physics are you better at pick that one. If you're equally good at both, you have to take into account that physics has coursework whereas maths obviously doesn't. If you're not a fan of coursework or it will be set around the same time as coursework for bio and Chem then maybe choose maths
Reply 3
Original post by ellis27day
My first two a levels I have chosen are Biology and Chemistry because those are required by a lot of universities to get into and I enjoy bio. For my third choice I don't know whether to to physics (which I am better at) or maths.

That's really silly that they only let you do 3 when many people are capable of doing more and still doing well. I did 5 at AS level and 4 at A2, and I'm so glad because it meant I didn't have to narrow down my options too much. If I'd only done 3 I wouldn't be where I am now as I would have gone for sciences which I ended up totally losing interest in.

Anyway, as others have said, 3 is fine for medicine so the best you can do is just work hard at them.
Reply 4
Original post by Pinkberry_y
If you're not a fan of coursework or it will be set around the same time as coursework for bio and Chem then maybe choose maths

What is the coursework. Is it like GCSE or is does it take up much more time?

I am really not sure, that would be something you should ask your teacher or head of physics in your school. I personally didn't do Physics or Maths A level (only did Maths up to AS). However, I had several friends who took physics A Level so know that in particular Edexcel Physics has a coursework element.
Of course they seem to have changed a lot of the A level system for your year so definitely speak to your teachers about what the course will contain as this may have all changed now.
Reply 6
You only need 3 A levels for Medicine, important thing is to get 3 A's in them.

Physics/Maths any will be fine, but you probably want a strong Maths base, so I'd go for Maths..

I did A level Physics (WJEC exam board) and we didn't have coursework. Well there was a practical exam and a data analysis paper, which tbh weren't that bad they just take ideas from what you've learnt in AS and A2 but the theory you're asked is much easier than the content you would see in an end of year exam. Mostly they rely on techniques you need to remember.

Varies largely between different boards

Edit: *in before I fail both the practical and data analysis exams after saying they weren't that bad*
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi ellis27day

Your first two choices are perfect for going on to study medicine as Chemistry is essential and Biology strongly recommended. For your third choice, it is really up to you and you should base your decision on what you enjoy more as you are much more likely to do better in a subject you enjoy.

Both Maths and Physics are good subjects to choose if you are thinking of applying for Oxbridge due to the theoretical nature of the course, but they are by no means essential. So, choose what you enjoy and that will be there with decision!

You might be interested in reading this blog which is all about this.

I hope that is useful. Do let me know if you have any questions... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
do three subjects, focus on them and get high grades than doing four. Many uni requirements are three A levels anyways

Yeah, as others said, you don't need more than 3. Choose which subject interests you and you're best at. Also, perhaps get your reference to say you can only choose 3?

You only need to do 3 A2 subjects, ideally they should include biology and chemistry and a third subject.

Choose whichever third subject you like, you need AAA at A2 at least for medicine so pick a third subject which you enjoy and you are more likely to get the A in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending