The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3440
Original post by Georginarosee
How do you find the clearing list from last year?

I don't think you can.
Original post by PQ
Well yeah - but UCAS are just matching candidate and centre numbers to what's listed in applications. So that's a database matching job.

Universities have people manually comparing grades with offer conditions - it isn't (and shouldn't be) automated (data protection rules say automated decision making for things like job applications and university applications should only be used in exceptional circumstances). It's someone sitting down and looking whether the offer was met or not and prioritising the applications that missed their offer to decide which if any should be accepted.

Plus some of the 1/8 who don't have a decision are waiting for GCSE results.

No - on Monday evening universities have to have made their best guess about which courses will still have spaces. Quite often as they work through applications and decisions come through for insurance students on Tuesday and Wednesday the courses with spaces will change and be updated (with some courses added and some courses removed from clearing).

Ahhh I didn't know about the data protection rules. It seems like a weird rule to me though...
Original post by PQ
You can't access it online.

You need to go to your local reference library and ask for a copy of the telegraph from last year's results day. They might have it hard copy or on microfiche/scanned.

Okay thank you.
Original post by Bubbles26
Where are the aqa mark schemes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to the person who has access to them, they won't be available until the 17th and he wasn't sure if he could retrieve and post them on time. :smile:
Greetings folks,
I received my CIE A level results today morning and unfortunately i missed my offer by a grade. Got AAA and the required grades were A*AA.
Now the universities still dont know about it because the UCAS said the results will be transmitted to the universities over the weekend. So, this means I wont get a response from my firm (UoM) before the next Thursday (18/8) as the UCAS goes offline by tomorrow noon.

What now? What's the best course of action at the moment? Should I email the university begging my way in? Should I wait till next week?

As a side note, Im an overseas student so i need to get my confirmation letter ASAP so i can get started with my visa application. Also my course isnt on Clearing.
Original post by Georginarosee
Okay thank you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/0/russell-group-universities-in-clearing-2016/university-of-liverpool/ (use the arrows to scroll back/forwards through the other RG universities) gives some idea of the scale and type of vacancies at the 17 RG universities in clearing last year
Original post by theoneincontrol
Greetings folks,I received my CIE A level results today morning and unfortunately i missed my offer by a grade. Got AAA and the required grades were A*AA.Now the universities still dont know about it because the UCAS said the results will be transmitted to the universities over the weekend. So, this means I wont get a response from my firm (UoM) before the next Thursday (18/8) as the UCAS goes offline by tomorrow noon.What now? What's the best course of action at the moment? Should I email the university begging my way in? Should I wait till next week?As a side note, Im an overseas student so i need to get my confirmation letter ASAP so i can get started with my visa application. Also my course isnt on Clearing.
Begging is a waste of time - if there's any relevant information that they should have (including if there are any alternative courses you'd like them to consider you for if they can't take you on your firm choice) then let them know.

You *can* contact them on Monday and explain that you have your grades and would like to know if they're going to take you. They might not be willing to confirm over the phone but if they know that disclosing your status wont breach the embargo on results then they might make an exception.

A LOT of people are accepted with missed grades - what subject are you applying for?
Original post by PQ
Begging is a waste of time - if there's any relevant information that they should have (including if there are any alternative courses you'd like them to consider you for if they can't take you on your firm choice) then let them know.

You *can* contact them on Monday and explain that you have your grades and would like to know if they're going to take you. They might not be willing to confirm over the phone but if they know that disclosing your status wont breach the embargo on results then they might make an exception.

A LOT of people are accepted with missed grades - what subject are you applying for?

Software Engineering with Industrial Experience (MEng)

Why should i wait till monday? why not contact them now or even tomorrow morning?
Original post by Aph
I don't think you can.

Ahhh I didn't know about the data protection rules. It seems like a weird rule to me though...

Exeter relied on automatic decision making a few years ago - it accidentally accepted an extra 400 students
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2009/aug/25/exeter-student-error (200 later rejected or offered deferred entry, another 200 had their offer changed to cornwall campus)

Offer conditions aren't usually recorded in a way that allowa automatic decision making to happen (they're coded using a very antiquated system- most offers include a "k" code that just means "plus some free text" ). It's most sensible to have actual humans making decisions (and checking decisions) - it makes possible mistakes easier to spot (for example applicants where UCAS has only made a partial match of grades, or applicants who have a range of qualifications or qualifications taken over more than one application cycle) and it means things like special consideration can be taken into account easily.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 123Learn123
results day is on my birthday

SAME!!!
Original post by theoneincontrol
Software Engineering with Industrial Experience (MEng)

Why should i wait till monday? why not contact them now or even tomorrow morning?

They will have your results on Monday - they won't have them today or tomorrow during working hours, and even if you tell them your results they might not be in a position to decide which missed offers they'll accept until Monday or later.

If they can't answer on Monday I'd suggest calling their international team and asking them to put pressure on the admissions team for you for a decision ASAP.
i'm predicted 4 A* and honestly cannot wait
Guys , are people going to collect their results from school / college with their parents or friends or alone?? Hows everyone goimg about that ?
Original post by fefssdf
Can't wait to read the examiner reports for psychology, especially for the gender question . AQA will have a field day

Which question are you reffering to?
Original post by future doctor x
Guys , are people going to collect their results from school / college with their parents or friends or alone?? Hows everyone goimg about that ?

Going in on my own i think
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Doing AS and A2 subjects.

i am a2
Original post by igotnomoney
Anyone did As business studies exams this year for edexcel ... what did you thought of it??? Im just eondering

Old spec?
Original post by asos98
Which question are you reffering to?

The one about gender schema which was asked last year I think, purely because it was a real shock
Original post by PQ
They will have your results on Monday - they won't have them today or tomorrow during working hours, and even if you tell them your results they might not be in a position to decide which missed offers they'll accept until Monday or later.

If they can't answer on Monday I'd suggest calling their international team and asking them to put pressure on the admissions team for you for a decision ASAP.

Alright, I really appreciate your help. Thanks
i can't bear to face any of my teachers. i'm literally legging it as soon as i get my envelope
Reply 3459
Original post by PQ
Exeter relied on automatic decision making a few years ago - it accidentally accepted an extra 400 students
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2009/aug/25/exeter-student-error (200 later rejected or offered deferred entry, another 200 had their offer changed to cornwall campus)

Offer conditions aren't usually recorded in a way that allowa automatic decision making to happen (they're coded using a very antiquated system- most offers include a "k" code that just means "plus some free text" ). It's most sensible to have actual humans making decisions (and checking decisions) - it makes possible mistakes easier to spot (for example applicants where UCAS has only made a partial match of grades, or applicants who have a range of qualifications or qualifications taken over more than one application cycle) and it means things like special consideration can be taken into account easily.
that sounds awful!!! :afraid:

Yeah, I understand all of that now. It's rather interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest