The Student Room Group

London is expensive?

I've lived in London all my life
when people say expensive do they mean the house prices? Or what, because everything else seems fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdeptDz
when people say expensive do they mean the house prices? Or what, because everything else seems fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

everything I live just outside of London and I have family in Norfolk and you go to pay for something and you always give way too much as your used to London prices
like I bought large cod and chips for 8 of us and I pulled out £70 only to be told it was £40
Reply 2
Original post by jamesthehustler
everything I live just outside of London and I have family in Norfolk and you go to pay for something and you always give way too much as your used to London prices
like I bought large cod and chips for 8 of us and I pulled out £70 only to be told it was £40

Hmm I'm probably just use to it. That sounds expensive even for London, I never buy cod and chips so I don't know the prices

I've only noticed the prices are expensive in central London and everywhere else is decent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
Posted from TSR Mobile

It is generally very expensive. I bought the kids a basic ice-cream (without a flake) for £2.50 each last week. I would expect to pay £1.50 with a flake. But times change. I used to be appalled that beer was over £3 a pint when elsewhere is was less than £2. I suppose that since the advent of chains, prices are reasonable - ish and the huge investment to the transport system is paying dividends. £6.50 a day for unlimited travel around central London is much cheaper than it used to be.

But yes - housing is the biggy. I believe it is around £600 to rent a room these days. I rented a room in Cardiff a couple of years ago for £200 and that included bills and internet!
Reply 4
Original post by AdeptDz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Housing (both purchase and rental prices) is the big one, but other things like food and drink, particularly eating out rather than supermarket prices, entertainment etc are also more expensive. The one thing I will concede in the opposite direction is that Londoners always whinge about how much transport costs when really it's probably cheaper and definitely better organised than any other city in the UK.
Reply 5
If it wasn't drastically more expensive do you think they'd have set a different minimum wage for London and the rest of the UK?
It's more expensive but it is arguably the greatest city on earth so it's understandable.
Reply 7
Original post by AdeptDz

It's the capital city, has a lot of the UK's richest people living there and is probably the biggest tourist destination in the UK. This means it can afford to be expensive.

For house prices, you will generally get less value for money the further you go into a city (for example maybe you'd get a flat in London city centre for the same/similar rent as you'd get a small house on the suburbs. This is because people favour being closer to the city centre (where everything is) so they can afford to charge more.
It's just housing that is the killer. Everything else (such as entertainment, dining, leisure) is covered by higher salaries.

We whinge about transport in London but fail to remember that £120 odd a month is cheaper than keeping a car and using it every day to cover a justifiable distance.
Y'all meal deals cost like £4.50

Smh
The prices are ridiculous.

London is definitely one of the top Cities in the world, but they have run-away prices, which often spell borderline piss take or broad daylight robbery.

I have purchased a pack of biscuists for £2.90, when the normal non-London prices is about £1.20. When you go to pubs, then you get robbed with their prices, £5.50 for a pint that would cost me £2.50 in other places.

I agree that London is well-organised (to an extent), but the government needs to do something about the ridiculous prices, especially housing costs. Other top cities like New York and Berlin have a level of rent control. I think it should be applied to London, e.g. according to London zones and proximity to Central London.
housing is the biggest thing but whenever I've been to London I've noticed everything is that bit more than it is elsewhere, cinema ticket, dinner out, transport etc
Yeah it's mostly house prices - they're absurd. I don't see how anyone on a normal income can afford to buy in London.
Reply 13
Cool probably because I live like an hour from central, everything is normal here, cinema tickets are like £9, food is normal, at most decent restaurants £20 per person is enough and only thing I've noticed is house prices are expensive in central but around here there's council flats and houses and they aren't that expensive to rent out, I think it's only central (where everyone goes) so it's expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz

Posted from TSR Mobile

London prices are your default, take a trip elsewhere in the UK and you'll see just how much you're getting shafted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't get why Londoners moan about transport costs, it's literally the only good thing about the place.
Reply 16
Original post by AdeptDz
everything is normal here, cinema tickets are like £9

:s-smilie:
Reply 17
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
I don't get why Londoners moan about transport costs, it's literally the only good thing about the place.

A metro ticket in Paris costs €1.8...
Reply 18
Original post by Princepieman
London prices are your default, take a trip elsewhere in the UK and you'll see just how much you're getting shafted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True ⬆️
Original post by Josb
A metro ticket in Paris costs €1.8...

To go how far?

:colondollar: :wink:

Quick Reply