The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellis27day
My first two a levels I have chosen are Biology and Chemistry because those are required by a lot of universities to get into and I enjoy bio. For my third choice I don't know whether to to physics (which I am better at) or maths.

All advise would be really helpful!!!!

If you're better at Physics than just go for physics. Maths and Physics is a science so you wont be at a disadvantage whichever one you pick. It's worth contacting universities and their entry requirements and what they prefer.
Reply 2
Original post by ellis27day
My first two a levels I have chosen are Biology and Chemistry because those are required by a lot of universities to get into and I enjoy bio. For my third choice I don't know whether to to physics (which I am better at) or maths.

All advise would be really helpful!!!!

Don't panic. All medical schools will just base their offer on 3 A2 subjects. If I were you on this one, I'd pick the one I'm guaranteed to get at least an A in. If you're confident at getting an A in both physics and maths, then I suggest you pick the one you'd probably enjoy more.

At the end of the day, all the admissions officer will look at is whether you have/will be getting 3 As or not. I'm suggesting you pick a third subject that you enjoy doing because A2 will be a stressful year with your medical school applications and it's not as draining to study something you like. Either maths or physics is a good choice, really.
Self study 1 of them
Original post by anonwinner
Self study 1 of them

No OP, do not self-study one of them.
Reply 5
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
No OP, do not self-study one of them.

Why not?
Original post by alow
Why not?

No point. It does not add value to OP's UCAS application.

3 A-levels is the minimum and the vast majority of unis offers Medicine with only 3 A-levels being a requirement.

Unis will be more interested in what they did outside their studies than showing them they can self-study a subject.
Reply 7
Maths is definitely more useful. It's also one of the subjects universities look for when you apply!

3 A-levels is the minimum and the vast majority of unis offers Medicine with only 3 A-levels being a requirement.

Unis will be more interested in what they did outside their studies than showing them they can self-study a subject.

"3 A-levels is the minimum"

Yes OP, just do the absolute minimum! That will get you a place at a good uni!
Reply 9

Rubbish. Showing academic ability is always a good thing.

Self studying maths would only be a couple of hours a week.
Do Maths, Bio, Chem. More places need maths than physics.
"3 A-levels is the minimum"

Yes OP, just do the absolute minimum! That will get you a place at a good uni!

3 A-levels is the standard on what they are looking for.

Medical students need work experience that will get them at a good uni (along with exceptional grades).

There is no need for OP to do an extra A-level. It is not a requirement and it's unnecessary.

I'm guessing you're not at uni and still awaiting your GCSE results or am I wrong?
Original post by alow
Rubbish. Showing academic ability is always a good thing.

Self studying maths would only be a couple of hours a week.

OP will have already shown their academic ability in the 3 subjects. That's the whole point.

Those "couple of hours a week" can go towards the A-levels they will already study.

Self studying or a an extra A-level is not a requirement for a vast majority of Medicine courses.

That extra time can be used elsewhere.
Reply 13
OP will have already shown their academic ability in the 3 subjects. That's the whole point.

Those "couple of hours a week" can go towards the A-levels they will already study.

Self studying or a an extra A-level is not a requirement for a vast majority of Medicine courses.

That extra time can be used elsewhere.

3 A Levels is barely strenuous enough to show true academic potential. Do you know how many Cambridge medics I know with 3 A Levels? None. Zero. All have at least 4. As a matter of fact I don't know anyone studying a science course at Cambridge without at least 4 A Levels and medicine is far more competitive than most of the other science subjects.
Original post by alow
3 A Levels is barely strenuous enough to show true academic potential. Do you know how many Cambridge medics I know with 3 A Levels? None. Zero. All have at least 4. As a matter of fact I don't know anyone studying a science course at Cambridge without at least 4 A Levels and medicine is far more competitive than most of the other science subjects.

Your ignorance is quite rare.

To use 1 of the 2 Oxbridge universities as a whole representation of 30+ universities that offer Medicine is completely illogical.
Original post by alow

They all studied modular A levels - the syllabuses have now changed [except Maths in those named] which makes a huge difference.

The game has changed ....
Reply 16
Your ignorance is quite rare.

To use 1 of the 2 Oxbridge universities as a whole representation of 30+ universities that offer Medicine is completely illogical.

You have no experience with applying to medicine or any other science course. You have no idea what it takes to get a place on a competitive course.

Maths A Level is probably the easiest A Level to self teach and anyone capable of doing medicine would easily be able to self teach to an A grade.

There is absolutely no way having an extra A Level is not worth the small time investment, half an hour a day is more than enough to self teach.
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
They all studied modular A levels - the syllabuses have now changed [except Maths in those named] which makes a huge difference.

The game has changed ....

A Levels don't have enough content for that to be an issue. If someone is capable of studying medicine they are capable of working hard enough for 4 A Levels.
Good luck getting a job with your Oxford Brookes degree, sweetheart.

Perhaps you are unaware that F1 recruits more engineering graduates from Brookes than any other universit
Original post by alow
A Levels don't have enough content for that to be an issue. If someone is capable of studying medicine they are capable of working hard enough for 4 A Levels.

How do you know? Are you teaching the new A levels?
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending