The Student Room Group

A level Subjects for medicine!!!?? Help PLEASEEE

HEY!
So I just started my AS-level and I was wondering if anyone here can guide me as to how many and what subjects should I take for successful admission in a Medical College!
Please help me out here!
I have taken Biology,Chemistry and Physics .. but everyone I know has taken more than three subjects and it really worries me that I won't get admission if i take only three!
Some medical schools do look for you to have a B in a fourth subject so you may be limited in your choice of universities when applying. I don't think all of them require this though. May be best to look at the requirements on a few different universities websites.

If you're worried could you not pick up another subject now?
Reply 2
Original post by theExtraNerd
HEY!
So I just started my AS-level and I was wondering if anyone here can guide me as to how many and what subjects should I take for successful admission in a Medical College!
Please help me out here!
I have taken Biology,Chemistry and Physics .. but everyone I know has taken more than three subjects and it really worries me that I won't get admission if i take only three!

You need 4 AS subjects. As long as you get straight As, what that fourth subject is doesn't matter as much as what grade you get in it, so pick something you know you'll enjoy.
^ You don't need straight As if you're doing 4. I know plenty of people this year who got offers with AAAB/AABB at AS. Biology and Chemistry are most important for medicine and ideally you need to get As in them. As long as you get AAA by the end of the two years then you stand a chance.

I got AAAA at AS (biology, chemistry, maths, economics) and if I get AAA next Thursday then I will be doing medicine at university this Autumn. If you have any questions about the application process or anything then feel free to PM me. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lozzie97
Some medical schools do look for you to have a B in a fourth subject so you may be limited in your choice of universities when applying. I don't think all of them require this though. May be best to look at the requirements on a few different universities websites.

If you're worried could you not pick up another subject now?

Yes, I will, now. Actually I was worried that these 3 subjects are difficult enough and if I take a 4th subject [ without any value in the future(college admission)], then I might be risking my grades in the essential three.
and thank you. :smile:
Reply 5
^ You don't need straight As if you're doing 4. I know plenty of people this year who got offers with AAAB/AABB at AS. Biology and Chemistry are most important for medicine and ideally you need to get As in them. As long as you get AAA by the end of the two years then you stand a chance.

I got AAAA at AS (biology, chemistry, maths, economics) and if I get AAA next Thursday then I will be doing medicine at university this Autumn. If you have any questions about the application process or anything then feel free to PM me. :smile:

Thank You SOO much for explaining this to me. :smile: Now my mind is a lot more clear on this matter.
BTW your grades are WOW. Best of Luck for your results. I hope you get the desired result.!!
P.S. Yes..I'm planning on nagging you a bit more in future if I run into a confusion like this. :smile:
Yes, I will, now. Actually I was worried that these 3 subjects are difficult enough and if I take a 4th subject [ without any value in the future(college admission)], then I might be risking my grades in the essential three.
and thank you. :smile:

Yeah, I completely understand your opinion. It is difficult and I would definitely drop down to 3 after year 12 but with effort and organisation you should be fine doing 4 subjects for the first year. The fourth could be nearly any subject as well, I started with French and then swapped it for economics.

Doing 4 isn't essential for all medical schools, I think, but it's desirable. My offer is AAAb (the B in a random AS subject). If you're unsure, does your school/college have a careers advisor you can talk to? Or is there a teacher who helps with the medicine applicants who you could talk to? They could probably tell you what people from your college have done in previous years.
HEY!
Please help me out here!

You're perfectly fine. It's common now for people starting new A Levels to do 3 subjects. It's why most medical schools have dropped the AS requirement.
Biology, chemistry and another you like and think you'll do well in (if you're on the new system). Otherwise two others which you like and feel you'll do well in. Easy.
Reply 9
^ You don't need straight As if you're doing 4. I know plenty of people this year who got offers with AAAB/AABB at AS.

Agreed. But what getting straight As does is keeps your options open about what you're carrying on into A2.

wooow im doing those exact same subjects at a level!!

Quick Reply

Latest