The Student Room Group

Tom daley only worthy of Bronze because

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BRONZEMEDAL1
He has spent too much time on social media posing his narcissm instead of training for the very thing that got him famous in the first place.

It's true..
Reply 21
Original post by 1010marina
If you had actually watched his diving he was pretty much spot on. He was almost flawless; the only problems came from his synchro with his partner (considering they only got together in October they're doing damn good) and his partner kicking up a couple of larger splashes.

So why don't you stop criticising one of the best athletes in the world because he's capitalising on his well deserved fame. You absolute melon.

Lol come on. Diving is such a niche sport and he's not even in the top couple in it.
Reply 22
Original post by BRONZEMEDAL1
He has spent too much time on social media posing his narcissm instead of training for the very thing that got him famous in the first place.

You realise even top athletes only train around 5 hours a day?
Original post by difeo
Lol come on. Diving is such a niche sport and he's not even in the top couple in it.

To be in the top ten and at the Olympics is incredible.
Reply 24

Sure but he's not in the top 1000 athletes in the world

But his competition is very limited. Being the third best footballer in the world is vastly more impressive than being the third best diver (cue football diving jokes).

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
no he is not :facepalm:Do you even know what the principal of the Olympics is?
:hand: no you're probably going to say that its so that athletes can show off or something else completely false :talkhand:

The point is to win and be known as a great athlete. Please don't spout of the cliche 'values' of the Olympics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
But his competition is very limited. Being the third best footballer in the world is vastly more impressive than being the third best diver (cue football diving jokes).

The point is to win and be known as a great athlete. Please don't spout of the cliche 'values' of the Olympics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arguably diving requires more skill than your typical football match but that aside, Daley has consistently placed highly in his sport from such a young age. Don't try to diminish his achievements.
Posted from TSR Mobile

The point is to represent your country and to inspire a new generation into sport
now stfu and respect athletes who do this
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
The point is to represent your country and to inspire a new generation into sport
now stfu and respect athletes who do this

Yeah and the reason people go into politics is to help the underprivileged. If you honestly believe that then you're very naive

Arguably diving requires more skill than your typical football match but that aside, Daley has consistently placed highly in his sport from such a young age. Don't try to diminish his achievements.
Diving is a niche sport, the field your competing against is very limited. Hundreds of millions of people play football around the world, being the third best out of hundreds of millions is an incredible achievement. On top of that if Tom Daley were to compete with someone like Gareth Bale in all round test of athleticism he'd get absolutely annihilated.
Lol at the miserable, bitter folks on here downplaying an Olympic bronze medal. These are the types of people who have achieved nothing and they get their kicks by downplaying others successes. To get any Olympic medal is a phenomenal achievement. Well done Tom and Dan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
Lol at the miserable, bitter folks on here downplaying an Olympic bronze medal. These are the types of people who have achieved nothing and they get their kicks by downplaying others successes. To get any Olympic medal is a phenomenal achievement. Well done Tom and Dan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great idea, let's celebrate losing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great idea, let's celebrate losing

Posted from TSR Mobile

And how many Olympic medals have you won? It's one thing when Olympic Champions like Michael Johnson come out with arrogant stuff like that, but it's another when a student on TSR from their armchair/ bed comes out with it.
If winning bronze makes him a loser, what does that make you?
I really don't get this American nonsense. Yes obviously winning is best and the aim, but to get any sort of Olympic medal is a phenomenal achievement.

Diving is niche, sure. But to be the third best at any sport is fantastic. I watched the final and the Chinese pair were ridiculously good and miles ahead, but I think they had been a pair for many years whereas Dan and Tom had only done it for 9 months or so. Tom also goes in the individual and has a shot at the gold there, we will see.

Yes, you can look at second as being 'the first loser' and third as being 'the second loser' from the comfort of your armchair. But for someone to win any Olympic medal in anything is fantastic. How many Olympic medals have you won?

It just makes me laugh to see people on here who will never achieve anything of note in sports to be diminishing the achievements of others who are winning medals.

Go and win some Olympic gold medals and then you're allowed to start looking down on bronze medalists. I really don't get why some people are so miserable that they have to downplay others' achievements to make themselves feel better about themselves.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Lol.

I bet you are just so jealous that here is someone winning Olympic medals, someone with a great body, someone enjoying life. And he is rubbing it in your face on social media and that riles you up, coz you have a sad, *****y life and this guy is living it.
And how many Olympic medals have you won? It's one thing when Olympic Champions like Michael Johnson come out with arrogant stuff like that, but it's another when a student on TSR from their armchair/ bed comes out with it.
If winning bronze makes him a loser, what does that make you?
I really don't get this American nonsense. Yes obviously winning is best and the aim, but to get any sort of Olympic medal is a phenomenal achievement.

Diving is niche, sure. But to be the third best at any sport is fantastic. I watched the final and the Chinese pair were ridiculously good and miles ahead, but I think they had been a pair for many years whereas Dan and Tom had only done it for 9 months or so. Tom also goes in the individual and has a shot at the gold there, we will see.

Yes, you can look at second as being 'the first loser' and third as being 'the second loser' from the comfort of your armchair. But for someone to win any Olympic medal in anything is fantastic. How many Olympic medals have you won?

It just makes me laugh to see people on here who will never achieve anything of note in sports to be diminishing the achievements of others who are winning medals.

Go and win some Olympic gold medals and then you're allowed to start looking down on bronze medalists. I really don't get why some people are so miserable that they have to downplay others' achievements to make themselves feel better about themselves.

That's such a ridiculous argument; I have to achieve something better in that field to criticise someone else's 'achievement'. It's like saying you can't say it's not an achievement to get an E in a GCSE exam if you didn't take the subject.

I'd hardly call it American nonsense - it's probably a significant factor in why they've been top of the medals table at all but one olympics in the 21st century.

Yes, being the third best in the world at something is good but celebrating what is essentially losing sets a bad example to young people in my opinion. I'm not miserable, I just don't celebrate losing
That's such a ridiculous argument; I have to achieve something better in that field to criticise someone else's 'achievement'. It's like saying you can't say it's not an achievement to get an E in a GCSE exam if you didn't take the subject.

I'd hardly call it American nonsense - it's probably a significant factor in why they've been top of the medals table at all but one olympics in the 21st century.

Yes, being the third best in the world at something is good but celebrating what is essentially losing sets a bad example to young people in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually yes, if you yourself could only score a 'U' it would be ridiculous to criticize others who got a higher mark.
It's ridiculous to label people as losers when they've achieved something you are never going to be capable of. Plus are you really comparing getting an E with winning Olympic bronze?

If you think that an Olympic Bronze is a poor achievement then go and prove how easy it is to win an Olympic gold, in any discipline.
To be calling Olympic Bronze medalists 'losers' is laughable. The 'losers' are the people sat at home who will never be talented enough to win an Olympic medal or do anything of note, yet feel the need to criticize others who win bronze medals. It's arrogant as hell when Olympic champions like Michael Johnson say it, but at least he's got 4 Olympic golds to his name. What do you have?

I'd argue that other factors such as a far bigger population, combined with the fact they put huge amounts of money into youth sport as a greater reason for American success.

Of course Olympic gold is the aim, but you can't always be the best at something. To be one of the best at anything is a great achievement and to win an Olympic medal, making you the third best at your discipline in the sport is phenomenal.

Again, once you've won an Olympic gold medal, you can start criticizing others for only being the third best in the world at their discipline. Until then you just look incredibly bitter and determined to make yourself feel better by criticizing the achievements of others. I personally think being the third best in the world at something is worthy of a celebration but that's just me.
I'm really unsure about how celebrating being the third best in the world 'sets a bad example'. Daley works exceptionally hard at his sport, a very difficult sport and was awarded with a bronze medal at the Olympics. A fantastic achievement and one worth celebrating.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by inhuman
Lol.

I bet you are just so jealous that here is someone winning Olympic medals, someone with a great body, someone enjoying life. And he is rubbing it in your face on social media and that riles you up, coz you have a sad, *****y life and this guy is living it.

Indeed.
I wonder how many of those criticizing Daley for the crime of simply being a double Olympic Bronze Medalist, double Diving world Champion, three-time Commonwealth Champion and four-times European Champion, could win any medals in anything themselves.

They have such miserable lives that they have to downplay others' achievements to make themselves feel better.
Actually yes, if you yourself could only score a 'U' it would be ridiculous to criticize others who got a higher mark.
It's ridiculous to label people as losers when they've achieved something you are never going to be capable of. Plus are you really comparing getting an E with winning Olympic bronze?

So if I can only get a U in something that means someone else gets to say that an E is an achievement? Such nonsense. It just means neither of those two people are good at that particular thing, someone being better than me at something doesn't mean they're good. No I'm not comparing the two in terms of their difficulty but the same principle applies.

If you think that an Olympic Bronze is a poor achievement then go and prove how easy it is to win an Olympic gold, in any discipline.
To be calling Olympic Bronze medalists 'losers' is laughable. It's arrogant as hell when Olympic champions like Michael Johnson say it, but at least he's got 4 Olympic golds to his name. What do you have?

I didn't say it's a poor achievement, being the third best in the world at something is an achievement. If you 'win' bronze you are factually a loser two people beat you, you did not win that competition.

I'd argue that other factors such as a far bigger population, combined with the fact they put huge amounts of money into youth sport as a greater reason for American success.

But then why do so few of the USA's top athletes come from poor backgrounds? If it's about population then why don't countries like India and Indonesia dominate? America have a well known reputation for only valuing winners and you can see that China have the same view from the way their silver medalists have reacted.

Of course Olympic gold is the aim, but you can't always be the best at something. To be one of the best at anything is a great achievement and to win an Olympic medal, making you the third best at your discipline in the sport is phenomenal.

Yes to be in the top three in a sport where a very niche sport is still an achievement but Tom Daley is lauded as a national hero despite not even having an Olympic silver to his name but that just sums up how bad we are sport.

Again if you think a bronze medalist is a loser, what does it make you? Go and win some gold medals. As usual though we have folks on here who like to sit in their armchair, achieve nothing of note and feel entitled to criticise others who have won Olympic medals because they didn't win gold.

1. Why do you repeat yourself so often?
2. Well it doesn't make me a loser because I didn't compete. If I'd decides to spend my life jumping into water who knows how good or bad I'd be.

Tom Daley has two Olympic bronze medals, two things I'll never have. On the other hand I have things that Tom Daley will never have and that I wouldn't trade for two bronze medals for diving.

Again, once you've won an Olympic gold medal, you can start criticizing others for only being the third best in the world at their discipline. Until then you just look incredibly bitter and determined to make yourself feel better by criticizing the achievements of others. I personally think being the third best in the world at something is worthy of a celebration but that's just me.
I'm really unsure about how celebrating being the third best in the world 'sets a bad example'.

You're persisting with this ridiculous argument. By your logic I can call anything I want an achievement when I'm speaking to someone who's never done it regardless of good it actually is. It's also a hypocritical argument, I'm sure you've criticised someone for doing something you've never done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So if I can only get a U in something that means someone else gets to say that an E is an achievement? Such nonsense. It just means neither of those two people are good at that particular thing, someone being better than me at something doesn't mean they're good. No I'm not comparing the two in terms of their difficulty but the same principle applies.

No, the same principal doesn't apply because scoring an E on a test is not the same or nearly the same as being the third best in the world at something. Being an Olympic medalist is an incredible achievement, so it's ridiculous to criticse others who have achieved far, far more than you ever have or will do.

I didn't say it's a poor achievement, being the third best in the world at something is an achievement. If you 'win' bronze you are factually a loser two people beat you, you did not win that competition.

Yes they have factually lost to two people. You can either congratulate them for being the third best in the world or berate them for losing to two people. I know which one makes you sound bitter and jealous.

But then why do so few of the USA's top athletes come from poor backgrounds? If it's about population then why don't countries like India and Indonesia dominate? America have a well known reputation for only valuing winners and you can see that China have the same view from the way their silver medalists have reacted.

I didn't say they were the only factors. I said i'd argue they are bigger factors. The reasons countries like Indonesia don't dominate are probably far more to do with the fact that they are very poor and thus cannot pump money into developing young sporting talent like the USA can.
America has a bigger population than Britain for a start and it also places far more emphasis and puts more money into developing sporting talent than we do. As well as that, some have a mentality that 'second is the first loser' but i'd like to see some solid evidence to show that's the sole or even main cause of their success.

I don't agree that Americans only value winners, the runners up in the diving were elated with their achievement.

Yes the Chinese were disappointed, but a lot depends on whether or not you expect to win a gold. If you are red hot favorite for a gold medal and miss out, you will understandably be disappointed. If you are not expecting to win a medal but get one, you'll understandably be elated.

Yes to be in the top three in a sport where a very niche sport is still an achievement but Tom Daley is lauded as a national hero despite not even having an Olympic silver to his name but that just sums up how bad we are sport.

He also won the World Championships, aged 15, won it again, has won four European golds and three Commonwealth golds, as well as his two Olympic Bronze medals.

It's a niche sport, but clearly a difficult sport too and to see your years of hard work rewarded with an Olympic medal is worth celebrating.

You also seem to forget that Tom had a diving partner, who was certainly weaker than him. Tom's scores throughout were higher than Dan's and perhaps with a better partner could have put up a bigger challenge for gold. Tom will go for gold in the individual, so let's see how he does.

2. Well it doesn't make me a loser because I didn't compete. If I'd decides to spend my life jumping into water who knows how good or bad I'd be.

Tom Daley has two Olympic bronze medals, two things I'll never have. On the other hand I have things that Tom Daley will never have and that I wouldn't trade for two bronze medals for diving.

Well it does make you a loser because you are nowhere near good enough to compete. And again, he's won World, Commonwealth and European Championships.
Please, do not pretend that the only reason you're not an Olympic medalist because you choose not to. If you think you could be, prove it. Go and win a medal.

Hmm, what do you have that Tom Daley doesn't? Please share and i'll assess if I think it's a greater achievement than an Olympic medal.
The reality is you've never achieved anything in sport of note and never will. You like to sit in the comfort of your own home and belittle the achievements of others to make yourself feel better.

Daley trains incredibly hard and is awarded with World Championships and Olympic medals as well as international fame and bags of money. What are your achievements? What have you done of note?
When you win an Olympic bronze medal you can choose not to celebrate. Until then, stop trying to belittle others achievements.

I'm really keen to hear about your achievements which are better than an Olympic medal. Please share.
(edited 7 years ago)
No, the same principal doesn't apply because scoring an E on a test is not the same or nearly the same as being the third best in the world at something. Being an Olympic medalist is an incredible achievement, so it's ridiculous to criticse others who have achieved far, far more than you ever have or will do.

The principle is exactly the same, just on a different scale. It's funny how you berate me for criticising his bronze medal yet you keep saying he's achieved far more than I have or will (seems like you're keen to put others down too).

Yes they have factually lost to two people. You can either congratulate them for being the third best in the world or berate them for losing to two people. I know which one makes you sound bitter and jealous.

I don't care how I sound. I'm comfortable enough in myself to know that I'm neither jealous or bitter (not sure how I could be bitter).

I didn't say they were the only factors. I said i'd argue they are bigger factors. The reasons countries like Indonesia don't dominate are probably far more to do with the fact that they are very poor and thus cannot pump money into developing young sporting talent like the USA can.
America has a bigger population than Britain for a start and it also places far more emphasis and puts more money into developing sporting talent than we do. As well as that, some have a mentality that 'second is the first loser' but i'd like to see some solid evidence to show that's the sole or even main cause of their success.

And by the same token I didn't say the only winning matters mentality is the only factor, I said it's a possible factor.

I don't agree that Americans only value winners, the runners up in the diving were elated with their achievement.

American athletes are judged by titles. Michael Jordan is considered the best because he's 6 for 6 NBA finals despite several journalists stating that LeBron James is more talented. Americans value winners hence why people like Tiger Woods, Tom Brady and Michael Phelps are among the most popular athletes.

Yes the Chinese were disappointed, but a lot depends on whether or not you expect to win a gold. If you are red hot favorite for a gold medal and miss out, you will understandably be disappointed. If you are not expecting to win a medal but get one, you'll understandably be elated.

But they should surely have still be delighted? They're the second best in the world in their sport. They were disappointed because they didn't win.

He also won the World Championships, aged 15, won it again, has won four European golds and three Commonwealth golds, as well as his two Olympic Bronze medals.

Yes and that's good, you're acting as though I've said he's a terrible diver. But neither of those events are as significant as the Olympics

It's a niche sport, but clearly a difficult sport too and to see your years of hard work rewarded with an Olympic medal is worth celebrating.

Regardless of how difficult it is, it's niche. His competition is far more limited than most other celebrated athletes.

You also seem to forget that Tom had a diving partner, who was certainly weaker than him. Tom's scores throughout were higher than Dan's and perhaps with a better partner could have put up a bigger challenge for gold. Tom will go for gold in the individual, so let's see how he does.

If he wins then congratulations to him, what he may or may not do is irrelevant at this point.

Well it does make you a loser because you are nowhere near good enough to compete. And again, he's won World, Commonwealth and European Championships.
Please, do not pretend that the only reason you're not an Olympic medalist because you choose not to. If you think you could be, prove it. Go and win a medal.

How can you lose when you are competing? Well no one can know how good I may have been at sports I've never tried.

Hmm, what do you have that Tom Daley doesn't? Please share and i'll assess if I think it's a greater achievement than an Olympic medal.
The reality is you've never achieved anything in sport of note and never will. You like to sit in the comfort of your own home and belittle the achievements of others to make yourself feel better.

There you again, trying to put others down to make yourself feel better.

Daley trains incredibly hard and is awarded with World Championships and Olympic medals as well as international fame and bags of money. What are your achievements? What have you done of note?
When you win an Olympic bronze medal you can choose not to celebrate. Until then, stop trying to belittle others achievements.

That's good for him, unfortunately he'll still be regarded as a national hero for not being as good as Chinese and American people.

I'm really keen to hear about your achievements which are better than an Olympic medal. Please share.

1. I didn't say I had any better achievements, I said I had things I wouldn't trade for a bronze diving medal.
2. What's better is very subjective

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ee
The principle is exactly the same, just on a different scale. It's funny how you berate me for criticising his bronze medal yet you keep saying he's achieved far more than I have or will (seems like you're keen to put others down too)

The scale makes all the difference though.
If you got an A in maths A Level and were really proud of it and someone else got a C, would you not think it ridiculous for them to belittle your achievement or say it's not worth celebrating because you didn't get an a*? I would.

And by the same token I didn't say the only winning matters mentality is the only factor, I said it's a possible factor.

Well you did say it was 'probably a significant factor' as opposed to merely a 'possible factor'. It may well be a factor but in my opinion it is more to do with the greater emphasis and money they put into sports, especially at college level. In addition with a bigger population their odds of having talented natural sportsmen are greater.

But they should surely have still be delighted? They're the second best in the world in their sport. They were disappointed because they didn't win.

Its very personal really. For example if Andy Murray was to win bronze he would understandably be disappointed as when Djokovic went out, he was the red hot favorite and as the highest ranked player left, he would expect gold. However I would not say he has no right to celebrate bronze, given that any Olympic medal is a great achievement.

On the other hand if the tournament gave a wildcard to some 17 year old Brazilian kid ranked 500 on the world and he managed to surprise everyone and win bronze, he'd be understandably delighted as he would never have been expected to achieve that. To call him a loser and say he shouldn't celebrate or that celebrating sets a bad example, would be really unfair.

Tom and Dan were never going to win gold because they Chinese pair were ridiculously good and have trained together for many years which is a big advantage in synchronised diving where you need to have an almost telepathic understanding of each other. Tom and Dan had only been a team for a few months so to win any medal in a really tough competition was a really good achievement and again it's really unfair to say that celebrating sets a bad example.

Regardless of how difficult it is, it's niche. His competition is far more limited than most other celebrated athletes.

True but that doesn't mean it's not a great achievement.

How can you lose when you are competing? Well no one can know how good I may have been at sports I've never tried.

That's a bit like someone saying no one can know that they wouldn't beat Michael Phelps because they haven't gone swimming before. Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
I've never tried diving, but I think its safe to assume that I wouldn't be as good as an Olympic medalist.

That's good for him, unfortunately he'll still be regarded as a national hero for not being as good as Chinese and American people.

He's won a host of other championships and medals and has shown he's one of the best in the world. He's also only 22.
Murray has never been ranked 1 in the world and may never be, that doesn't mean he shouldn't be a national sporting hero. We should recognize great sporting achievements and winning an Olympic medal is one of them. Daley is a multiple World, European and Commonwealth Champion and an Olympic medalist. You'd be some tough parent if you don't think that's a phenomenal achievement!

1. I didn't say I had any better achievements, I said I had things I wouldn't trade for a bronze diving medal.
2. What's better is very subjective

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well what are your greatest achievements? What wouldn't you trade?

It comes down go to the fact you're being incredibly harsh in criticising two people for winning an Olympic Bronze medal in a very tough competition. You're not always going to win good but that didn't mean you can't be bloody proud of your achievements.

You can choose to view then as the third best in the world or as the second losers, I know which one demonstrates a miserable armchair expert and which one demonstrates appreciation for a phenomenal sporting achievement . Describing someone as celebrating a bronze medal as celebrating losing really does make you seem bitter about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending