The Student Room Group

Private A levels vs College A levels

hi guys, am 31 and trying to get back into studies by starting A levels. I am planning to apply for medicine entry 2017. I am planning to study at home and sit for the exams.
I have a few questions and all answers will be welcomed
1. Do the universities differentiate between the students who do A levels at college and those who study at home and sit the exam privately ? or are they considered equal regardless of their form of study ?2. I am planning to take 4 A levels, which includes chemistry and biology. what two other subjects do you recommend to broaden my chances while applying for medicine.
thanks,

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All are equal:smile: I would recommend maths, and either further maths or physics; everyone I know applying for medicine has gone for these combinations.
Maths and Physics/Further Maths :smile:
Original post by AJP98
All are equal:smile: I would recommend maths, and either further maths or physics; everyone I know applying for medicine has gone for these combinations.

Original post by somevirtualguy

Further maths is not viewed separately to maths for medicine and is a waste of time if doing it only to apply to medicine.

Original post by student3131
hi guys, am 31 and trying to get back into studies by starting A levels. I am planning to apply for medicine entry 2017. I am planning to study at home and sit for the exams.
1. Do the universities differentiate between the students who do A levels at college and those who study at home and sit the exam privately ? or are they considered equal regardless of their form of study ?2. I am planning to take 4 A levels, which includes chemistry and biology. what two other subjects do you recommend to broaden my chances while applying for medicine.
thanks,

What interests you? You've got chemistry and biology and those are the important ones. What subjects do you think you'll enjoy. You need to get an A in whichever subjects you choose so pick something you enjoy and are good at.
Maths is not a requirement, not does it 'help' your application so don't feel you have to do it.
Do you know where you want to apply? Because of the a-level reforms a lot of medical schools now only require 3 subjects. Doing extra is of no benefit, and you will still be expected to have AAA (unless you have a degree).
Have you considered doing an access course?
Only your grades will be looked at, its fine to do it privately.
Reply 4
Original post by ForestCat
Further maths is not viewed separately to maths for medicine and is a waste of time if doing it only to apply to medicine.

What interests you? You've got chemistry and biology and those are the important ones. What subjects do you think you'll enjoy. You need to get an A in whichever subjects you choose so pick something you enjoy and are good at.
Maths is not a requirement, not does it 'help' your application so don't feel you have to do it.
Do you know where you want to apply? Because of the a-level reforms a lot of medical schools now only require 3 subjects. Doing extra is of no benefit, and you will still be expected to have AAA (unless you have a degree).
Have you considered doing an access course?
Only your grades will be looked at, its fine to do it privately.

Thanks for the answer, actually i have been offered a place at lambeth college in access to medicine, but lambeth college is only accepted in three universities according to my information, as A levels is a standard qualification for all the universities, that's what makes me biased towards A levels. As it will keep my options open in almost all the universities that i apply to.

what do you recommend ?
thanks,

You DO NOT have to take phsyics or maths and further maths for medicine, and neither of them give you any advantage over other candidates at all, if anything further maths gives you less of an advantage as it is not considered separate from maths meaning the med schools will only class you as doing 3A2s when you worked so hard to get 4, NOT WORTH IT. anyone who takes further maths with the sole intention of applying to medicine really doesnt understand the admissions process and has shot themselves in the foot with more work and less reward.

Go with something your interested in. If you want to keep it close to medicine then go for Psychology, Sociology or physics, but that is no way required nor is it looked favourably upon at all. Go for any good academic Alevel which interests you, for example I did geography, many of my colleagues did english or history and the majority did maths or psychology. Maths is in no way required and nor does it help for medicine because the maths required is of no more than GCSE level.

Original post by AJP98

Original post by somevirtualguy

Please do your research, 99% of med schools do not class maths and further maths as seperate subjects, meaning OP would be doing 4A2 levels for the price of 3. Do not give advice if your not aware of the requirements because your advice could cause problems for applicants when applying comes and they realise!
Reply 6
Please do your research, 99% of med schools do not class maths and further maths as seperate subjects, meaning OP would be doing 4A2 levels for the price of 3. Do not give advice if your not aware of the requirements because your advice could cause problems for applicants when applying comes and they realise!

My apologies, however, I was just suggesting what a few friends applying for medicine are doing:smile:
Reply 7
Before I start with anything - Good on you! :smile:

Is 2017 entry do-able? That means you'd have to apply in the next two months? Without AS grades and no-one to give predicted grades if private a-levels? I think if you're going to do a-levels privately, then you'd best be applying after you've achieved the grades.

Have you looked into an access course? They are made for people like you who don't have the A-levels and are turning to medicine later. Look into it.

Either way, hope you're successful in your plans!
Reply 8
Also: I have to go against people saying do Maths. Obviously you're gonna have to do Chem and Bio. Third subject - choose a subject you'll enjoy.
Original post by Sidra Manzur
I would suggest math and physics.(also jus my suggestion cie math is way harder then edexcel math)

As above, neither is necessary or advantageous for a medicine application.

thanks,

There's no preference for either, though you might benefit from the extra support offered at a college after having been out of education for many years. Other than that, you should compare the costs of doing it either way (sitting privately is usually more expensive), and consider that a college would be able to provide you with an academic reference, whereas you would need to ask an employer or old teacher (from your time at school) for a reference if you do them privately.

Additionally, have you considered an Access to Medicine course? An Access course is only one year long (which may be something you're interested in) and probably less intensive than doing four A Levels in the same time.
Original post by AJP98

My apologies, however, I was just suggesting what a few friends applying for medicine are doing:smile:

I understand that, but so so many times have I seen people on TSR advising maths and further maths are a must for medicine, or that maths and further maths are good combinations, you cannot just take hearsay as fact with medicine as so many factors go into an application. Just dont want anyone shooting themselves in the foot by doing 4A2s when only 3 will be credited.
Are you serious ? you need to do 3 AS science subjects for getting into a medical college .and I've seen some medical colleges that do require 4 AS SUBJECTS...3 science subjects and math

Please provide proof of this. The only place that asks for 3 sciences is Cambridge and only one college requires maths. Please don't spread misinformation without doing your homework.
Reply 12
Original post by Natalierm2707

I understand that, but so so many times have I seen people on TSR advising maths and further maths are a must for medicine, or that maths and further maths are good combinations, you cannot just take hearsay as fact with medicine as so many factors go into an application. Just dont want anyone shooting themselves in the foot by doing 4A2s when only 3 will be credited.

Agree. Suggestions/mistakes/hearsay - it's standard. But I do think that if you're not well versed in the medicine admissions procedure or haven't looked into it in depth, then giving advice is a bit dangerous. I like to think I know quite a bit on the procedure but even then I try to look up any advice I'm giving just to double check it's right!

And this whole maths a-level thing! Needs to be stickied. A-LEVEL MATHS IS NOT A MUST FOR MEDICINE. :biggrin:
Are you serious ? you need to do 3 AS science subjects for getting into a medical college .and I've seen some medical colleges that do require 4 AS SUBJECTS...3 science subjects and math

ignore this, this person obviously has no idea what they are on about... please please stop commenting when your misinformed - do your research before you advise others.
Original post by JayAhm
Agree. Suggestions/mistakes/hearsay - it's standard. But I do think that if you're not well versed in the medicine admissions procedure or haven't looked into it in depth, then giving advice is a bit dangerous. I like to think I know quite a bit on the procedure but even then I try to look up any advice I'm giving just to double check it's right!

And this whole maths a-level thing! Needs to be stickied. A-LEVEL MATHS IS NOT A MUST FOR MEDICINE. :biggrin:

Oh 100% agreed, I am so sick of seeing people saying you NEED/REQUIRE maths for medicine, or that unis prefer you/ are more likely to interview you if you have maths, It is a load of rubbish and they really dont know what they are talking about.
What worries me is the fact that often applicants who have asked these important questions go on believing something which isnt true, and thats why all of us applicants, offer holders and med students need to keep up on top of our research and keep commenting on these threads to ensure people dont get the wrong end of the stick. I am two years out of the application game now (applied in 2015) but still keep my information up to date so I can advise on TSR.
Open these screenshot and go through it

Yes. As I stated Cambridge requires 3 sciences. It is the only University that does.
Original post by JayAhm

I second this.
Reply 18
Open these screenshot and go through it

Luckily we have more than one medical school in the UK :P

As far as I'm aware, it's only Cambridge that ask for this, no other medical school does as has already been mentioned in this thread.

It's definitely not necessary to get into 'medical college' and doesn't provide you with an advantage when it's not a requirement.

@Natalierm2707 - I'm starting med school this September but I'm a couple of years older than your normal applicant (I don't like to refer to myself as a mature student, there's only a few years in it :P) I've gone through too many applications for other people and helped people out for the last few years choosing med schools though so thought I'll try and while away the weeks left before med school helping out others. Hopefully stay on and keep helping like you!
I jus did my AS LEVEL NOW..with 3 science subjects...u mean to say it was not necessary for me to take physics instead i could have taken any subject i liked ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending