The Student Room Group

Are Uni's interested in your GCSE/Nat 5 results?

Hello guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I will be going into S6 later this August and have recently received my higher results. However, in 2015 I was sitting my GCSE's in the English system, instead of Nat 5's. My GCSE's didn't go as well as I had planned (a mix of B's and C's),in comparison to my Higher results (A's). Now that I will be applying to university I am quite worried wondering that this might affect my chance at getting a place. How likely do you think it is that the universities will be interested in my GCSE's?
(My last school wasn't brilliant and had messed up my course work in my best subject).

Thanks xx
Original post by Just_Grace
Hello guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I will be going into S6 later this August and have recently received my higher results. However, in 2015 I was sitting my GCSE's in the English system, instead of Nat 5's. My GCSE's didn't go as well as I had planned (a mix of B's and C's),in comparison to my Higher results (A's). Now that I will be applying to university I am quite worried wondering that this might affect my chance at getting a place. How likely do you think it is that the universities will be interested in my GCSE's?
(My last school wasn't brilliant and had messed up my course work in my best subject).

Thanks xx

Depends on the degree & university. Medicine, yes they are important. Then the typical succesful entrant to Oxbridge will have top GCSE's, I think there is one Cambridge College which says in slightly more polite terms don't bother applying to us for law if you have less than a certain number of A*'s. Some universities request specific grades in English & Maths beyond the minimum C for certain subjects. However if they aren't Oxbridge, you aren't applying for Medicine and they don't state requirements beyond the standard C (unless of course you meet them) then your Highers should matter far more and make up for your GCSE's.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Depends on the degree & university. Medicine, yes they are important. Then the typical succesful entrant to Oxbridge will have top GCSE's, I think there is one Cambridge College which says in slightly more polite terms don't bother applying to us for law if you have less than a certain number of A*'s. Some universities request specific grades in English & Maths beyond the minimum C for certain subjects. However if they aren't Oxbridge, you aren't applying for Medicine and they don't state requirements beyond the standard C (unless of course you meet them) then your Highers should matter far more and make up for your GCSE's.

Thank you for all the info! Yeah I wouldn't be interested in applying to do Medicine and it makes sense that Oxbridge would ask for straight A's from all exams. I was looking into doing History at Edinburgh or St Andrews hopefully and then to go on to do a law degree afterwards. If I do well with my first degree the University will most likely not be interested in GCSE grades if I applying as post-graduate. Thanks again! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending