The Student Room Group

For people who know about laptops

Hey! I bought an intel 5th gen i3 @ 2.00GHz, im worried about it not been able to handle visual studio and I might need to replace it in 2 years time, I still have the refund policy from the shop on my side since I bought it 2 days ago.

I wanted to buy the i5 @2.6ghz but its £100 more than the i3, if I return the i3 I will buy the i5 in 5 months when I have saved up meaning I'll buy the i5 in my 2nd year of my compsci degree, is it worth it saving up for 5 months for the i5 or the i3 would be sufficient for my programming degree
Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its not even dual core processor...
Original post by Gman786
Its not even dual core processor...

They're both dual core

Posted from TSR Mobile
A dual core i3 2ghz sounds weak af

Personally I'd try and get a loan or something to get the i5 in the immediate future

Maybe just check the recommend specs for all the software you'll need?
Ideally you want an i5.

What are the rest of the specs?
Video card, RAM etc
Video card - intel graphics 5500 for both

They're both 4gb RAM and 1TB hard drive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TelAviv
A dual core i3 2ghz sounds weak af

Personally I'd try and get a loan or something to get the i5 in the immediate future

Maybe just check the recommend specs for all the software you'll need?

Are u using an i5 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
2GHz is ****
Original post by Retired_Messiah
2GHz is ****

Swear that's what phones have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
Are u using an i5 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an i7 3.4ghz quad core
Original post by drandy76
Swear that's what phones have?

Yeah phones are ****
This is very informative, thank you :smile: unfortunately for me there's no quad-core i5 on retailers where I live. Cant even think of shipping.

The only i5 in the market is the 6200U 2Cores running up to 2.80GHz

So you dont think that turbo boost will make a huge difference when it comes to compiling code ? I mean the i3 is clocked at 2Ghz while the i5 is 2.3 to 2.8Ghz (if needed), if the difference of running code is 5 seconds then im sticking with the i3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Video card - intel graphics 5500 for both

They're both 4gb RAM and 1TB hard drive

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can sell you a 8gig stick of laptop ram, if you want to buy it?
I live in south africa, most stores here sell laptops are the low end of thier generation.

My initial budget was affording a celeron through research I was told it not good and then I got the extra money (through hardship) for the i3 but I cant help but feel that the i5 would run codes faster than i3 (without the cursor going circle) but at the same time I don't have money for the i5, if I was to buy it I would have to sell my xbox or wait for 5 months until I make money
Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much. Out of everyone that I have asked on forums you're the only who has been very informative. I'l never forget u. Thanks man

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can run visual studio on a wooden computer.. And would it SERIOUSLY take 5 months to get £100??
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
You can run visual studio on a wooden computer.. And would it SERIOUSLY take 5 months to get £100??

Lol yeah I'll be working during the holidays

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is very informative, thank you :smile: unfortunately for me there's no quad-core i5 on retailers where I live. Cant even think of shipping.

The only i5 in the market is the 6200U 2Cores running up to 2.80GHz

So you dont think that turbo boost will make a huge difference when it comes to compiling code ? I mean the i3 is clocked at 2Ghz while the i5 is 2.3 to 2.8Ghz (if needed), if the difference of running code is 5 seconds then im sticking with the i3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Budget?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending