The Student Room Group

16 years old wanting to be a doctor

I'm thinking about becoming a doctor, I would like to be a ward doctor but not go as far as being a consultant! How long does it take to become a ward doctor? What do I need to do first I don't believe I can just go straight to medical school
Original post by X_x_2016
I'm thinking about becoming a doctor, I would like to be a ward doctor but not go as far as being a consultant! How long does it take to become a ward doctor? What do I need to do first I don't believe I can just go straight to medical school

When you finish medical school, you will complete six rotations during the two year foundation programme, most of which will be hospital based. So you could be a doctor working on the wards a few weeks after finishing medical school, and indeed, that's what most people do.

Before replying any further, can I ask why you wouldn't want to be a consultant and what your understanding is of medical training after medical school?

Do you live in the UK? You can enter medical school after finishing year 13.
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy

Before replying any further, can I ask why you wouldn't want to be a consultant and what your understanding is of medical training after medical school?

I'm in med school and I don't want to become a consultant :colonhash::colonhash:
Original post by Ghotay
I'm in med school and I don't want to become a consultant :colonhash::colonhash:

why
Original post by X_x_2016

Are you still in high school? Cause then the real hurdles are building your application for med school and getting accepted. With your medical degree there are many different fields you can go through, like the army, cruise ships, academia, hospitals, clinics etc. You first need to decide if you really want to go into medicine, so I'd suggest going to a couple of events organised by unis for potential medical applicants or speaking to med students.

Good luck deciding if it's right for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending