The Student Room Group
Moot Law Court, Robert Gordon University
Robert Gordon University

BEng/MEng Mech Eng starters

Hi
I'm about to start first year on my way to this qualification, at NESCol though going to do 2+2 and join you guys in 3rd year.
I'm gonna be a relatively old bastard by that time, I'm 29 now n been working in oil industry for few years up until last year when the climate caught up with me.
Obviously hoping the industry will pick up, I've heard the big companies are planning for new drilling programs around 2019 time. What are all your thoughts on this? A lot oif us are all wanting the industry to get back to the way it has been recently, otherwise the course wouldn't have as many enrolled as it does.
Are we going to end up regretting this course decision?
It'll really depend on what you want to do, what skills and experience you already have, how well you do on the course and whether the course is in fact recognised by the industry.
Moot Law Court, Robert Gordon University
Robert Gordon University
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
It'll really depend on what you want to do, what skills and experience you already have, how well you do on the course and whether the course is in fact recognised by the industry.

Hey.
I'm qualified car mechanic, then started working for Halliburton on their rotary steerable drilling equipment. Strip, service and rebuild. Then worked for Dril-Quip in their refurbishment department on Tooling and other subsea gear.

The course is the standard HND Mchanical Engineering going on to the BEng in same subject.

I'd like to get back into oil game, field engineer then progress from there. Mainly cos really want to do the offshore thing. Not just the money but the experience.
Have a look at jobs you may be interested in and what the entry requirements are and try and get some relevant work experience. There's not much else to say really.
Original post by Dav1dJG
Hi
I'm about to start first year on my way to this qualification, at NESCol though going to do 2+2 and join you guys in 3rd year.
I'm gonna be a relatively old bastard by that time, I'm 29 now n been working in oil industry for few years up until last year when the climate caught up with me.
Obviously hoping the industry will pick up, I've heard the big companies are planning for new drilling programs around 2019 time. What are all your thoughts on this? A lot oif us are all wanting the industry to get back to the way it has been recently, otherwise the course wouldn't have as many enrolled as it does.
Are we going to end up regretting this course decision?

What is the reason you are taking the course?

The good thing about mechanical engineering degrees is that they are transferable to many different industries, so you're not confined to oil & gas or the Aberdeen area for work.

Quick Reply