The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Students of Dumfries Campus (University of Glasgow)

Hey Folks -

I've just been accepted into Health and Social Policy at The University of Glasgow, on the Dumfries Campus. I've read up a little about it but theres not much out there - is there anyone else thats starting this coming September?
Also to anyone that currently stays there, what's social and student life like there?

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by RTTurner
Hey Folks -

I've just been accepted into Health and Social Policy at The University of Glasgow, on the Dumfries Campus. I've read up a little about it but theres not much out there - is there anyone else thats starting this coming September?
Also to anyone that currently stays there, what's social and student life like there?

Thanks! :smile:

Hi, congrats on being accepted!

I was in your position four years ago, there really isn't that much info out there about life in Dumfries, the Crichton campus, or the courses. I've recently graduated so happy to answer any questions.

Life in Dumfries obviously isn't the same as life in a city. It's a town with quite a small town centre. It's a safe place, the areas you wouldn't want to visit are far from where students normally stay. One downside is that the seagulls poo everywhere. There's a lot of pubs and two small clubs. Alternatively Carlisle is a fairly short train ride away.

The students union organises a few events and puts on freshers week, facebook page is here. There's not much in terms of official clubs and societies, but you'll find people with common interests to start informal groups. Dumfries is very good for outdoorsy pursuits, there's plenty of walking and cycling.

You'll be in uni most days in first year, but that'll taper off as you go through, which is good if you stay in the town as it's a 30+ minute walk. Content wise you'll have a few interdisciplinary choices in first and second year, either languages, environmental, or philosophy. Likewise there'll be students from other courses in some of your lectures.

If there's anything else you'd like to ask feel free!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey, thanks for getting back to me :smile:
It all sounds pretty good to me to be honest, not long to go now
Reply 3
Hey, I've been accepted on the exact same course as you! Are you moving into halls?
Only a month before we start!
I'll see you there :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by NDDLB
Hey, I've been accepted on the exact same course as you! Are you moving into halls?
Only a month before we start!
I'll see you there :smile:

Hey there! Awesome to hear from someone thats doing the same course as me.
Have you talked to anyone else doing the same course?
I'm moving into private accommodation instead of Halls - it's a wee bit cheaper and there's some nice options out there.
Can't wait to start, and yeah, see you there :smile:
Reply 5
Hey there! Awesome to hear from someone thats doing the same course as me.
Have you talked to anyone else doing the same course?
I'm moving into private accommodation instead of Halls - it's a wee bit cheaper and there's some nice options out there.
Can't wait to start, and yeah, see you there :smile:

You're actually the first person I've spoken to that's actually doing the course.
Ah okay, I decided I'd go with the easiest option for me and move into halls for my first year rather than trying to find a place to live. Even if it is really expensive.
:smile:
Reply 6
Yeah I totally get that, was really considering doing that myself. I get the impression there's a small-ish amount of people on the course though, so everyone should get to know each other even if people live in separate accommodation.
Hi I have also accepted the same course and I am moving into the Dumfries halls! Finally have found other people doing the same course 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Hey there! Great to hear from more people doing the same course. Where are we all moving from to Dumfries?
The Western Isles 😦 How about you?
Reply 10
Wow, that's a long way to travel! That's awesome though. I'm from Lanarkshire so super close in comparison

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh that's cool 😊 Do you have Facebook or Instagram or anything I could add you on if you don't mind? I'm honestly so relieved to find other people on my course - I have tried on Facebook etc and couldn't find anyone!
Hi there!

Not doing the same course as yourselves, however will be moving down to Dumfries too for PE!

Are any of you moving into the Dumfries Halls? Feel all though I'm the only one moving into that hall!
Original post by hettiegrace
Hi there!

Not doing the same course as yourselves, however will be moving down to Dumfries too for PE!

Are any of you moving into the Dumfries Halls? Feel all though I'm the only one moving into that hall!

I'm moving into the Dumfries halls! 😊
Original post by MeganMaryy
I'm moving into the Dumfries halls! 😊

Brilliant! Glad to know it's not just me! Not long to go now! See you there :biggrin:
Brilliant! Glad to know it's not just me! Not long to go now! See you there :biggrin:

Yeah can't wait! How old are you all going to be when moving?
Reply 16
Original post by MeganMaryy
Yeah can't wait! How old are you all going to be when moving?

I'll be 18 when I've moved through, how about yourself?
Also, would you folks be interested in moving this to a facebook group chat so that it's a bit easier to talk and invite people in?
I'll be 18 when I've moved through, how about yourself?
Also, would you folks be interested in moving this to a facebook group chat so that it's a bit easier to talk and invite people in?

I'm going to be a little older, 23! Yeah, that's sounds good!
I'm going to be a little older, 23! Yeah, that's sounds good!

Yeah Facebook group would be so much easier!
Reply 19
Just want to put it out there that if any other students coming to Dumfries to study stumble over this post, feel free to send me a PM and we'll get you into that group chat on Facebook :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending