The Student Room Group

John Lewis Group Assessment

Hi guys.

I applied for a job online at John Lewis (selling assistant fashion) and I got an email asking me to book my interview (super happy about this because I really need this job). It is supposed to be a group assessment and I am dreading the whole thing since I am not good with interviews so I thought it would help me if I knew what to expect from it.

What happens at these group assessments and how should I prepare for it? Is there anything specific I should be aware of?

What is the dress code? I am a female.

Any other suggestions or advice?

Is it better to do the interview in the morning or in the afternoon?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
^^
Reply 2
^^^
when and where do u apply for this role
i have and not received anything
Reply 4
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
when and where do u apply for this role
i have and not received anything

I saw the ad on Indeed and I applied on there. I applied for the Birmingham store. Which one did you apply for?
same here but in london
i havent heard anything back
how long was it till they asked you to come to the interview
Reply 6
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
same here but in london
i havent heard anything back
how long was it till they asked you to come to the interview

Basically I applied online on the 5th and today I received an email about the interview. And they asked me to either book my interview on the 23rd or 24th. When did you apply?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
--
Original post by marii_
Basically I applied online on the 5th and today I received an email about the interview. And they asked me to either book my interview on the 23rd or 24th. When did you apply?

i feel around a similar time
Hey,

I recently did a group assessment at House of Fraser and it was really enjoyable.

Basically, there were 6 of us (3 boys and 3 girls) and 3 senior staff running the course. They began by showing us a short video on HoF, followed by an icebreaker: everyone got a card with an object and a celebrity on it. We then had to make up a short story using the object and celebrity - it was really funny. afterwards, the boys went to do their mini 1:1 interviews, while we did an activity where one of the staff pretended to be a customer looking for a gift for her grandchildren, with a budget of £140. We got given a sheet with items on it and had to work as a team to find an ideal gift for her. It gave me a really good insight into a real life situation. Finally, we finished with our interviews where we got asked some typical interview questions e.g. what are your weaknesses/ tell me about work experience/ Tell me about how you would deal with someone you didn't get along with (I struggled with that one)....

Anyway, I didn't get the job (I applied for the role as a sales advisor) but it was a really enjoyable experience.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK! :smile:
I've worked at JL for nearly two years (my last day is next sunday tho cos i'm off to uni hopefully) - the group assessments are really easy, purely to assess your skills in communicating and working as a team, and how confident you are to speak/put ideas forward! i did things like selling items to fictitious customers in a group, it's nothing too difficult so don't worry

dress like you would on the shop floor - black, white, grey, pale pink or pale blue are the JL colours, you need to look business-like, so trousers, blouse and blazer or a black dress and blazer would be perf! and for guys it's obviously a suit

time of day makes no difference tbh, but morning interviews means it's out of the way quickly i guess lol so that's better

if anyone has any other questions let me know!!
Reply 11
Original post by chocomad1999
Hey,

I recently did a group assessment at House of Fraser and it was really enjoyable.

Basically, there were 6 of us (3 boys and 3 girls) and 3 senior staff running the course. They began by showing us a short video on HoF, followed by an icebreaker: everyone got a card with an object and a celebrity on it. We then had to make up a short story using the object and celebrity - it was really funny. afterwards, the boys went to do their mini 1:1 interviews, while we did an activity where one of the staff pretended to be a customer looking for a gift for her grandchildren, with a budget of £140. We got given a sheet with items on it and had to work as a team to find an ideal gift for her. It gave me a really good insight into a real life situation. Finally, we finished with our interviews where we got asked some typical interview questions e.g. what are your weaknesses/ tell me about work experience/ Tell me about how you would deal with someone you didn't get along with (I struggled with that one)....

Anyway, I didn't get the job (I applied for the role as a sales advisor) but it was a really enjoyable experience.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK! :smile:

Thank you. I hope mine is something like this as well.
Reply 12
Original post by izzy_hill
I've worked at JL for nearly two years (my last day is next sunday tho cos i'm off to uni hopefully) - the group assessments are really easy, purely to assess your skills in communicating and working as a team, and how confident you are to speak/put ideas forward! i did things like selling items to fictitious customers in a group, it's nothing too difficult so don't worry

dress like you would on the shop floor - black, white, grey, pale pink or pale blue are the JL colours, you need to look business-like, so trousers, blouse and blazer or a black dress and blazer would be perf! and for guys it's obviously a suit

time of day makes no difference tbh, but morning interviews means it's out of the way quickly i guess lol so that's better

if anyone has any other questions let me know!!

Thank you. How many people are usually in the group assessment? And is it likely that I will have a 1:1 session as well?
Original post by marii_
Thank you. How many people are usually in the group assessment? And is it likely that I will have a 1:1 session as well?

Errmmm think there was about 6 of us in our group assessment?? It depends how many people have applied i guess!! but it shouldn't be a larger group than that tbh otherwise no one would be able to get a word in edgeways lol

Yes, you'll have an individual interview - in mine i was asked about instances were i showed good teamwork, or instances where i was able to overcome problems and things like that. If you have any prior work experience talk about that, if you've done any extracurricular activities that'd be great to mention, talk about your interests and stuff and also make sure your answers about the role itself cater to the department you'd like to be in! I remember asking questions at the end as well and my interviewer seemed to enjoy answering them and chatting more, so maybe prep some for when they ask if you have any queries

I just noticed that you said you'd applied to the Birmingham store - i'm hopefully going to be at Birmingham for uni! we might see each other haha, good luck anyways i hope you get the job!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by izzy_hill
Errmmm think there was about 6 of us in our group assessment?? It depends how many people have applied i guess!! but it shouldn't be a larger group than that tbh otherwise no one would be able to get a word in edgeways lol

Yes, you'll have an individual interview - in mine i was asked about instances were i showed good teamwork, or instances where i was able to overcome problems and things like that. If you have any prior work experience talk about that, if you've done any extracurricular activities that'd be great to mention, talk about your interests and stuff and also make sure your answers about the role itself cater to the department you'd like to be in! I remember asking questions at the end as well and my interviewer seemed to enjoy answering them and chatting more, so maybe prep some for when they ask if you have any queries

I just noticed that you said you'd applied to the Birmingham store - i'm hopefully going to be at Birmingham for uni! we might see each other haha, good luck anyways i hope you get the job!

Thank you, this is really helpful! hahah, you never know x
Hi,

I had a group assessment for John Lewis recently and got the job a couple of weeks ago. Mine was for Catering Assistant but my hours I was available meant they actually offered me a job as a Selling Assistant.

In my assessment, you were sat at tables and the first part was you had 2 minutes to say your name, where you had given/received good customer service and what your favourite dish is and why (the last question is probably just specific to catering, but something similar might be asked for selling)

Then we were asked in our table to create the perfect partner, the qualities they should have - after we had to narrow this down to our top 5 qualities we think were most important

Finally, we worked in groups on an imaginary scenario, what we would do if this came up

I was super nervous beforehand but the most important thing is to speak up and really communicate with who is in your group! They want people that are confident enough to talk but are not too dominating that they can't work in a team

Good luck!
Reply 16
Hi, I have my interview for fashion selling assistant at Birmingham on the 23rd August at 10 am when is yours?
Reply 17
Original post by H.ox
Hi, I have my interview for fashion selling assistant at Birmingham on the 23rd August at 10 am when is yours?

I had an interview on 31st August at 10am for a selling Assistant role in John Lewis Birmingham, I'm still waiting to hear back.
Reply 18
Oh alright, i already got accepted hopefully i'll see you there I'm starting my induction next week
Reply 19
Oh wow, congratulations how long after the interview did you get the job, and how did they notify you btw?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending