The Student Room Group

French mayor bans burkinis

The mayor of Cannes has banned the wearing of burkinis - full-body swimsuits - on the beaches of the French Riviera resort famous for its annual film festival, officials said on Thursday.
Mayor David Lisnard signed off on the ruling that "access to beaches and for swimming is banned to anyone who does not have (bathing apparel) which respects good customs and secularism," which is a founding principle of the French republic.
"Beachwear which ostentatiously diplays religious affiliation, when France and places of worship are currently the target of terrorist attacks, is liable to create risks of disrupting public order (crowds, scuffles etc) which it is necessary to prevent," it says.
Thierry Migoule, head of municipal services for the town, sought to clarify the ruling's intent.
"We are not talking about banning the wearing of religious symbols on the beach ... but ostentatious clothing which refers to an allegiance to terrorist movements which are at war with us," he said.

Burkinis banned on Cannes Riviera beaches by French mayor - The Telegraph
https://apple.news/AVJQTqAaaRaKTNe5_BrQzIQ

Thoughts?? I think this is quite frankly ridiculous.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good, full body Burka type outfits are only worn in Syria/Iran/Iraq and the liberal west by a minority of hardcore Muslims. In some women are not even allowed to swim on their own on risk of being arrested.

Maybe this will give french Muslim families/husbands the hint to let their daughters/wives wear what they want in public.

Not what their religious cult demands them
Whys it ridiculous? Sexism within a religion is still sexism and you shouldnt pander to it. There seems to be a fallacy that criticism of a religions attitude towards women is racism its not.Islam is a set of ideas and as such can be criticised just like any other ideology.
It won't work so the French president can go f himself. They banned the burka too, but subhanallah, praise be to God, it didn't stop Muslim women from wearing it. Bless the French Muslim sisters in France x
Ridiculous on so many levels. Firstly, how on earth do burkinis signify an allegiance to a terrorist movement? Next thing you know by wearing a simple hijab you might as well be waving the Daesh flag.

'Good customs' is the founding principle of the French Republic, but evidently good customs doesn't include the right for women to dress as they please. People criticise Saudi for their strict regulations on female dressing, but I wonder how many will extend criticism to the French in this case, or is feminism only about being able to wear bikinis and the right not to be covered up? :rolleyes: Thierry Migoule labels the burkini as ostentatious- I wonder if he knows what the word means?

Liberté, égalité, fraternité!
Good, they're ****ing hideous.
Original post by Ribbit1234
It won't work so the French president can go f himself. They banned the burka too, but subhanallah, praise be to God, it didn't stop Muslim women from wearing it. Bless the French Muslim sisters in France x

So you believe your religion to be above the law?
Original post by remiremi
Good, full body Burka type outfits are only worn in Syria/Iran/Iraq and the liberal west by a minority of hardcore Muslims. In some women are not even allowed to swim on their own on risk of being arrested.

Maybe this will give french Muslim families/husbands the hint to let their daughters/wives wear what they want in public.

Not what their religious cult demands them

The irony is strong. Let's restrict what Muslim women can wear in public to encourage their families to let them dress as they please
:facepalm:
Original post by AlexS101
So you believe your religion to be above the law?

I believe the French president is racist and discriminates Muslims. Like how is wearing the Burkini harming other people. If women are allowed to show off what they want, why shouldn't they be allowed to cover if they want.
Reply 9
They say Muslims don't integrate, but in reality it's society pushing them away, in this case, it's with something as simple as clothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Good. In a vacuum i dont like it. In the wider picture, its right

Muslims have placed us between a rock and a hard place.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm a libertarian. while I believe that the burkini is immoral and more likely than not based on husbands suppressing their wives, the role of the government should never be to arbitrarily limit the freedom of citizens' expression (here in the form of clothing). I say this both in terms of "immoral clothes" and no clothes at all. to tackle this problem better within a nation, a national government (not a lower level government like this) shouldn't import muslims here, causing this kind of stupidity to begin with. if you import muslims into a nation, you must know that this *is* going to be the result. government should favour immigration from more compatible nations/cultures instead, and that is merely common sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
This is silly imo. I don't think they pose a security risk.
I believe the French president is racist and discriminates Muslims. Like how is wearing the Burkini harming other people. If women are allowed to show off what they want, why shouldn't they be allowed to cover if they want.

So then you vote him out, you don't go around breaking the laws of the land, like the burqa wearing ladies in France you seem to respect are doing.
Waste of time
Reply 15
Original post by HAnwar
They say Muslims don't integrate, but in reality it's society pushing them away, in this case, it's with something as simple as clothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, but ultimately the values of western societies have to be protected too.

You imply that Muslims only integrate when all their biddings are done. Well no. I've said it before, I'll say it now: don't like it? Feel free to go to those fantastic, prosperous, Shariah abiding countries.

It's more of a 'you're in our country you have to abide by our rules, simple. If you don't like it, leave'. Do you see Saudia Arabia giving us westerners any choice of wearing revealing clothes because we want to? No exactly. Now pipe down and stop being so hypocritical.
Original post by childofthesun
The irony is strong. Let's restrict what Muslim women can wear in public to encourage their families to let them dress as they please
:facepalm:

These women have no "choice" in the families they are brought up and force married into.

They can not "dress how they please" because they will be completely isolated, pushed onto the street homeless and in some extreme cases even killed for leaving Islam or their arranged husband

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2061842/Mohammad-Shafia-murdered-daughter-honour-killing-said-hed-again.html

The French state needs to make clear they will not stand for this BS and oppression against women, if that means banning oppressive Burkas and fully body coverings then so be it.

I don't think anyone but misogynistic Muslim men will mourn the Burkas and similar outfits loss
These sorts of laws establish more revealing bikinis as the religious dress of the West.
Reply 19
Original post by *Stefan*
Sorry, but ultimately the values of western societies have to be protected too.

You imply that Muslims only integrate when all their biddings are done. Well no. I've said it before, I'll say it now: don't like it? Feel free to go to those fantastic, prosperous, Shariah abiding countries.

Yes, how dare a woman cover up and choose what she'd like to do with her own body.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest