The Student Room Group

need help!!

i want to study materials engineering at uni

at university of exeter entry requirements are AAA-ABB , should i consider applying to it if i get predicted ABB , there's queen mary's who want ABB, but is it worth a uni place to apply to exeter or should i just apply through adjustment at results day next year? (AS student)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SURH

at university of exeter entry requirements are AAA-ABB , should i consider applying to it if i get predicted ABB , there's queen mary's who want ABB, but is it worth a uni place to apply to exeter or should i just apply through adjustment at results day next year? (AS student)

Apply normally to universities where you can realistically achieve the typical offer (or perhaps 1 or 2 with a grade or so higher).

Adjustment is only available if you already hold a Firm Offer elsewhere and your final grades exceed the offer. And not all universities or courses are available in Adjustment anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Apply normally to universities where you can realistically achieve the typical offer (or perhaps 1 or 2 with a grade or so higher).

Adjustment is only available if you already hold a Firm Offer elsewhere and your final grades exceed the offer. And not all universities or courses are available in Adjustment anyway.

so if i get predicted ABB i should just apply to queen mary's or should i apply to exeter as well ?
Original post by SURH
so if i get predicted ABB i should just apply to queen mary's or should i apply to exeter as well ?

The best bet is to apply to a range of universities: perhaps an ambitious choice or two, and a safe one or two as well.
Reply 4
Original post by SURH

You would still be likely to get some offers from AAA universities, so yes apply to Exeter if the course & uni interests you.

It's a good idea to apply to:-
* 1 or 2 universities above your prediction (your "optimistic" choices)
* a couple at your prediction ("realistic" choices)
* 1 or 2 below your prediction ("pessimistic" choices)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

And, of course, the most important thing is to apply to courses you want to study, at universities you want to be at, for 3 or 4 years. The entry requirements are one consideration, but by no means the most important thing (assuming you have the required A-level subjects, etc).

Edit to add: according to this Exeter typically give offers to all applicants anyway.
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-exeter-e84/materials-engineering-3-years-9000-h190

91% applicant to offer rate. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SURH

It is worth applying to both universities if you have ABB.

Just a (very biased) suggestion, have you considered Loughborough University?

I am currently a student there doing Materials Engineering, and it has a top engineering department, as well as very good lecturers.
Reply 6
Original post by Summit
It is worth applying to both universities if you have ABB.

Just a (very biased) suggestion, have you considered Loughborough University?

I am currently a student there doing Materials Engineering, and it has a top engineering department, as well as very good lecturers.

omg thank you so much, i had no idea about loughborough university and now i have a couple of questions to ask..

1) how competitive is it to get into the course at loughborough ?
2) is the course interesting ?
3) did you do any work experience that you wrote in your personal statement?
4) any tips on what to include in my personal statement about materials science?
5) does this course require an interview?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by SURH
omg thank you so much, i had no idea about loughborough university and now i have a couple of questions to ask..

4) any tips on what to include in my personal statement about materials science?

93% chance of offer...
http://university.which.co.uk/loughborough-university-l79/materials-engineering-3-years-9000-j500

And a list of universities offering Materials Engineering, sorted by descending entry requirementshttp://university.which.co.uk/search/course?utf8=✓&c%5Bq%5D=Materials+Engineering&c%5Bacademic_years__and__some%5D=2017&c%5Bsort_fact%5D=entry_points_max__desc&button=
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by SURH

5) does this course require an interview?

1) Not nearly as competitive as the other engineering departments (such as mechanical) even though, as far as I know they are starting to raise entry requirements. As long as you have ABB, you stand a good chance!

2) Very! At the time of your entry there will be 3 different courses available, biomaterials engineering, materials engineering and automotive materials. Lecturers are engaging and we have very small lectures (I read somewhere the student staff ratio for the department is 9.1:1), and there is an open door policy, which means you can drop by a lecturer's office in case you have any question. First year focuses on getting everyone up to speed, and most experiments will be related to the testing of current materials, while in second year experiments will be more varied.

3) Yes, a 6 months internship at a structural engineering firm

4) Tricky question. Have you done any further reading on materials? If you have that can show your interest in the subject

5) Yes, but mine was waived since I was abroad at the time
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
93% chance of offer...
http://university.which.co.uk/loughborough-university-l79/materials-engineering-3-years-9000-j500

And a list of universities offering Materials Engineering, sorted by descending entry requirementshttp://university.which.co.uk/search/course?utf8=✓&c%5Bq%5D=Materials+Engineering&c%5Bacademic_years__and__some%5D=2017&c%5Bsort_fact%5D=entry_points_max__desc&button=

In all fairness, Materials is a relatively unknown subject and it tends to be under subscribed. I don't think Imperial sends offers to 66% of applicants on any other course.
Reply 10
Original post by Summit
1) Not nearly as competitive as the other engineering departments (such as mechanical) even though, as far as I know they are starting to raise entry requirements. As long as you have ABB, you stand a good chance!

2) Very! At the time of your entry there will be 3 different courses available, biomaterials engineering, materials engineering and automotive materials. Lecturers are engaging and we have very small lectures (I read somewhere the student staff ratio for the department is 9.1:1), and there is an open door policy, which means you can drop by a lecturer's office in case you have any question. First year focuses on getting everyone up to speed, and most experiments will be related to the testing of current materials, while in second year experiments will be more varied.

3) Yes, a 6 months internship at a structural engineering firm

4) Tricky question. Have you done any further reading on materials? If you have that can show your interest in the subject

5) Yes, but mine was waived since I was abroad at the time

damn it , i don't have any work experience only at a pharmacy , i'm going to read a book on material science to show intrest also referring to an article, but the work experience is a massive blow for me, i might do an online course on future learn to compensate not sure what else to do because it's too late.

sorry but if you don't mind me asking which firm you did your work experience at , thanks for the help btw.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by SURH
damn it , i don't have any work experience only at a pharmacy , i'm going to read a book on material science to show intrest also referring to an article, but the work experience is a massive blow for me, i might do an online course on future learn to compensate not sure what else to do because it's too late.

sorry but if you don't mind me asking which firm you did your work experience at , thanks for the help btw.

Work experience is not a big deal to be honest.

It was a start-up company, but I can't really mention the name sorry!
Reply 12
Original post by Summit
Work experience is not a big deal to be honest.

It was a start-up company, but I can't really mention the name sorry!

so should i just show my interest in other ways e.g like the online course and books, i'll try if i can get a place this summer might be too late.
Reply 13
Original post by SURH

Also, there are growing links between Materials Engineering and the pharmaceutical industry, such as the use of nanotechnology in drug delivery. Maybe try to spin your work experience that way?

http://www.understandingnano.com/nanotechnology-drug-delivery.html
Reply 14
Original post by Summit
Also, there are growing links between Materials Engineering and the pharmaceutical industry, such as the use of nanotechnology in drug delivery. Maybe try to spin your work experience that way?

http://www.understandingnano.com/nanotechnology-drug-delivery.html

thanks!
Reply 15
Original post by SURH
so should i just show my interest in other ways e.g like the online course and books, i'll try if i can get a place this summer might be too late.

Yes definitely!
Reply 16
Original post by SURH

You absolutely do not need work experience.
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
You absolutely do not need work experience.

True, especially for an undersubscribed course like Materials, although it does not hurt and can give you something to talk about at the interview.
Reply 18
Original post by Summit
True, especially for an undersubscribed course like Materials, although it does not hurt and can give you something to talk about at the interview.

Yes, it doesn't hurt if you have it but many applicants stress unnecessarily about not having any. These are engineering courses, not medicine, so work experience is "nice to have" but certainly isn't required and no-one will be disadvantaged for not having it.

Also, unless it's for Oxbridge (and to an extent Imperial), engineering interviews are more of an informal chat and it's unlikely an applicant would fail to get an offer if they are asked to interview. It's usually a good indication you have an offer pending, not a possible rejection.
Reply 19
Original post by jneill
Yes, it doesn't hurt if you have it but many applicants stress unnecessarily about not having any. These are engineering courses, not medicine, so work experience is "nice to have" but certainly isn't required and no-one will be disadvantaged for not having it.

Also, unless it's for Oxbridge (and to an extent Imperial), engineering interviews are more of an informal chat and it's unlikely an applicant would fail to get an offer if they are asked to interview. It's usually a good indication you have an offer pending, not a possible rejection.

i absolutely failed my AS's got 4D's in maths bio chem and econ, now i have no idea what to do except retaking maths.

any suggestions on what i should do, or course i should do at uni i'm planning to drop biology, i don't know what to do , i Failed....so gutted rn.

Quick Reply

Latest