The Student Room Group

How do you make a cup of coffee?

Whenever I attempt to make a cup of coffee, it doesn't taste right even following instructions on jar/pack doesn't work, it turns out too bitter so I have given up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samzy21
Whenever I attempt to make a cup of coffee, it doesn't taste right even following instructions on jar/pack doesn't work, it turns out too bitter so I have given up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you talking about instant coffee? That stuff always tastes like crap.

I never thought it would make a difference but the quality of the drip coffee machine you use can make a huge difference to the coffee. I just upgraded from a $15 machine to a $70 one and boy is it delicious!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're not meant to brew coffee with boiling water, so try leaving the kettle for half a minute off the boil before your pour.

Otherwise just do what I did and buy a tassimo machine.

fill and turn on kettle

place (yorkshire) teabag into cup

when kettle boils, pour water into cup

use spoon to brew tea

squeeze teabag against side of cup

add milk

throw away coffee powder/beans

Original post by junayd1998

Umm no its not

Anyway ...hot chocolate is the best !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't...
Is it because you are using boiling water when it shouldn't be quite that hot?
Original post by Sabertooth
Are you talking about instant coffee? That stuff always tastes like crap.

I never thought it would make a difference but the quality of the drip coffee machine you use can make a huge difference to the coffee. I just upgraded from a $15 machine to a $70 one and boy is it delicious!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll agree coffee machines are one thing that quality shows if you spend a bit more
(i just upgraded mine from a £150 habitat one to a £1100 jura one and the quality is sublime)
Original post by jamesthehustler
I'll agree coffee machines are one thing that quality shows if you spend a bit more
(i just upgraded mine from a £150 habitat one to a £1100 jura one and the quality is sublime)

Oh nice. I can imagine that it makes very, very nice coffee!

I was actually feeling quite put off by my old $15 one - the coffee always tasted burned and I just didn't enjoy it. New one has none of that problem (though I'm up to like 5 or 6 big mugs a day now it just tastes so good :colondollar: ).
Oh nice. I can imagine that it makes very, very nice coffee!

I was actually feeling quite put off by my old $15 one - the coffee always tasted burned and I just didn't enjoy it. New one has none of that problem (though I'm up to like 5 or 6 big mugs a day now it just tastes so good :colondollar: ).

it is the best coffee I have had in a long, long time probably when I when to Paris a few years ago matches it
and I admit I drink about 10 double espressos worth a day (sometimes hazelnut mocha or latte takes my fancy)along with red bulls when I'm out of office
In the United States coffee is more popular than tea. Almost everyone here drinks coffee. A lot of people say the quality of the coffee depends on the coffee maker. I think what really makes a good cup of coffee is the bean. They actually have coffee bags now just like tea bags. That coffee is not bad at all. You can't really mess up dunking a coffee bag into hot water.
Original post by emobambam
In the United States coffee is more popular than tea. Almost everyone here drinks coffee. A lot of people say the quality of the coffee depends on the coffee maker. I think what really makes a good cup of coffee is the bean. They actually have coffee bags now just like tea bags. That coffee is not bad at all. You can't really mess up dunking a coffee bag into hot water.

While I think it's true that the basic taste comes from the bean, I still buy the same $5 a bag Eight O'clock brand coffee I always have and the difference made by the machine is huge.

I haven't seen these coffee bags, they sound "interesting". I can't imagine they'd be as good as a proper coffee machine, seems more like the instant variety.
Original post by jamesthehustler
it is the best coffee I have had in a long, long time probably when I when to Paris a few years ago matches it
and I admit I drink about 10 double espressos worth a day (sometimes hazelnut mocha or latte takes my fancy)along with red bulls when I'm out of office

Haha, that is a lot of caffeine!!

Do you buy whole beans and grind them yourself? I have a good friend who knows a lot about coffee and she tells me freshly ground is where it's at. I think with a machine that expensive it might really be worth doing to really step things up. :smile:
Haha, that is a lot of caffeine!!

Do you buy whole beans and grind them yourself? I have a good friend who knows a lot about coffee and she tells me freshly ground is where it's at. I think with a machine that expensive it might really be worth doing to really step things up. :smile:

it's a bean to cup I pour beans in the top and it grinds them to make my coffee by the cup
While I think it's true that the basic taste comes from the bean, I still buy the same $5 a bag Eight O'clock brand coffee I always have and the difference made by the machine is huge.

I haven't seen these coffee bags, they sound "interesting". I can't imagine they'd be as good as a proper coffee machine, seems more like the instant variety.
you'd be surprised about the quality of the coffee bags. Much much better than instant coffee. It actually taste like brewed coffee. My coffee tastes are pretty basic and a real expensive coffee maker is just out of my budget and wasted on me. I think if you have the money you should buy a nice coffee maker. It's like buying a nice car. I just want to have a good hot cup of Kona coffee.
Reply 15
Sod the instructions make it to your personal taste albeit you might want to experiment a bit to find it.
If you're using instant and comparing it to a shops though then you might need to re-evaluate.

But 2 heaped teaspoons of grounds, add water sugar and a dashof milk and enjoy :smile:
Tea all the way
I make a cup of coffee in a Georgian method :smile: (actually a Turkish one lol)

I pour some water in a cup which I want to drink from, then pour this water from the cup into coffee-pot. I throw the coffee of one teaspoon in this coffee-pot, then put the same amount of sugar, and start boiling all of this, mixing it with the spoon at the same time. When the liquid widens and starts to come up to pot surface, I stop boiling, because it means the coffee is ready. I pour it in my cup and drink. Always turns out good. What kind of coffee do I use? - ground one :wink: I often grind it myself, tastes better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally like to make my coffee with two teaspoons of instant coffee, two teaspoons of sugar, and a dollop of milk. If you want to make your coffee less bitter, try adding less coffee, and more sugar and milk! Experiment until you find the perfect balance for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest