The Student Room Group

Bad sixth form or college?

hi,

I only have a choice of two places to go to study my a levels(long story), a school called samuel lister academy, which is a s*** school and gets raelly bad ofsted reports or bradford college which is improving over the recent years. Alot of people tell me that in sixth form even if it is rubbish more support is available and at college its alot more work to do yourself. however people also tell me that in sixth form if i put my head down i can get good grades(i am good at self studying aswell). Now i am stuck to whether i should go to this bad sixth form or college? Any guidance from experience?

PS. I plain to do maths, chem and bio for three of my subjects.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bamzy123
hi,

I only have a choice of two places to go to study my a levels(long story), a school called samuel lister academy, which is a s*** school and gets raelly bad ofsted reports or bradford college which is improving over the recent years. Alot of people tell me that in sixth form even if it is rubbish more support is available and at college its alot more work to do yourself. however people also tell me that in sixth form if i put my head down i can get good grades(i am good at self studying aswell). Now i am stuck to whether i should go to this bad sixth form or college? Any guidance from experience?

No brainer in my opinion, go to the better college, why would you purposefully put yourself in a bad sixth form, the teaching is likely to be below par!

In the college help will always be there if you need it, you take lessons just like in sixth form and get as much a support as you need (you probably just have to be more forward in asking for it).

Go for the better college, it will be worthwhile in the end as better quality teaching usually means a better working environment, more support and better grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Natalierm2707
No brainer in my opinion, go to the better college, why would you purposefully put yourself in a bad sixth form, the teaching is likely to be below par!

In the college help will always be there if you need it, you take lessons just like in sixth form and get as much a support as you need (you probably just have to be more forward in asking for it).

Go for the better college, it will be worthwhile in the end as better quality teaching usually means a better working environment, more support and better grades.

The thing is i dont think it's better by a landslide, just more than slightly.
Reply 3

https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/compare-schools?phase=16to18&selectPhase=true

The link above is a comparison of the two schools.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/14593943.Second_Bradford_academy_placed_in_special_measures_after_highly_critical_inspection/

This link is about the schools ofsted report which is terrible tbh.
The thing is i dont think it's better by a landslide, just more than slightly.

Trust me after using the comparison tool bradford college is ahead MASSIVELY. 60% of students there get 3A2 levels at pass rate, wheras only 24% of pupils at the sixth form do, and that is bad considering a pass is equivalent of an E, so 76% of pupils at the 6th form do not get 3E grades at A2, and 11% dont even get 1 E grade, that is bad. the stats for Bradford college are miles better, you would be silly to pick a school in special measures who perform terribly over a respectable well acheiving college just because people have told you that you can achieve more in a sixth form (which is not at all true).

hope that sheds some light x
Reply 5
Trust me after using the comparison tool bradford college is ahead MASSIVELY. 60% of students there get 3A2 levels at pass rate, wheras only 24% of pupils at the sixth form do, and that is bad considering a pass is equivalent of an E, so 76% of pupils at the 6th form do not get 3E grades at A2, and 11% dont even get 1 E grade, that is bad. the stats for Bradford college are miles better, you would be silly to pick a school in special measures who perform terribly over a respectable well acheiving college just because people have told you that you can achieve more in a sixth form (which is not at all true).

hope that sheds some light x

Thanks, are you a doctor?
Thanks, are you a doctor?

No I am not a doctor, Im going into my second year of medical school.
Reply 7
No I am not a doctor, Im going into my second year of medical school.

The goal for me is to become a doctor one day too. wish you all the best!
The goal for me is to become a doctor one day too. wish you all the best!

Best of luck x

Quick Reply

Latest