The Student Room Group

Bad cie as level grades

Hi,

I got my Cambridge international as level grades today and I am very disappointed. As they turned out much worse than I expected.

Could someone please explain how they calculate the full A level? Is it that As level counts for 40% and A2 for 60%?

I got:
History A(82)
Economics B(77)
French B(72)
English Literature E(47).

I was expecting 2As and 2Bs. I definitely want to get my english lit. remarked etc. Should I resit both Economics and English lit. to get into a Russell group uni or do they not like resits?

Is it possible for me to somehow still get A* in History and Economics(if i resit) and A in French?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
I would recommend you drop down to 3 subjects for A2 as most (all?) universities only require you to have 3 full A levels. This would give you more time to concentration on each subject.

I've heard that economics resits are easier once you have learnt the A2 content, though I'm not sure if it's the same for your exam board.

To get an A* you need 90% in the second year modules with 80% overall. So yes, with work you could still get an A* in either subject but it depends how you find the A2 content.

P.S. Well done on the French grade! A level French is a pain. :P
Reply 2
Original post by Lozzie97
I would recommend you drop down to 3 subjects for A2 as most (all?) universities only require you to have 3 full A levels. This would give you more time to concentration on each subject.

I've heard that economics resits are easier once you have learnt the A2 content, though I'm not sure if it's the same for your exam board.

To get an A* you need 90% in the second year modules with 80% overall. So yes, with work you could still get an A* in either subject but it depends how you find the A2 content.

Thanks! So if i resit economics and get at least 80 and at least 90 for the a2 i should get an A*? That gives me hope :biggrin: thanks a lot!

Are you waiting for results still?
Original post by Kusja
Thanks! So if i resit economics and get at least 80 and at least 90 for the a2 i should get an A*? That gives me hope :biggrin: thanks a lot!

Are you waiting for results still?

You don't need 80 at AS to get an A*. You need 80% over the two years (so [AS + A2] divided by 2). However you could resit economics (perhaps one paper if one was much worse than the other, or the paper you think you could improve most in) so that getting an A overall is easier (you'd need less at A2 if you do a resit and improve). Economics is one of those subjects that is easier to resit (history for example is harder to resit because there is so much to remember and the AS and A2 content doesn't necessarily repeat).

I'm waiting on my A2 results. :/ Need AAA to get into uni.
Reply 4
You don't need 80 at AS to get an A*. You need 80% over the two years (so [AS + A2] divided by 2). However you could resit economics (perhaps one paper if one was much worse than the other, or the paper you think you could improve most in) so that getting an A overall is easier (you'd need less at A2 if you do a resit and improve). Economics is one of those subjects that is easier to resit (history for example is harder to resit because there is so much to remember and the AS and A2 content doesn't necessarily repeat).

I'm waiting on my A2 results. :/ Need AAA to get into uni.

Thank you for the explanation! Our school never really told us. I always thought i need 90 overall for A*, 80 for A and 70 for B

And good luck with your results! :smile:
Original post by Kusja
Thank you for the explanation! Our school never really told us. I always thought i need 90 overall for A*, 80 for A and 70 for B

And good luck with your results! :smile:

No worries, it is quite confusing.

Thank you!
Original post by Kusja
Hi,

I got my Cambridge international as level grades today and I am very disappointed. As they turned out much worse than I expected.

Could someone please explain how they calculate the full A level? Is it that As level counts for 40% and A2 for 60%?

I got:
History A(82)
Economics B(77)
French B(72)
English Literature E(47).

I was expecting 2As and 2Bs. I definitely want to get my english lit. remarked etc. Should I resit both Economics and English lit. to get into a Russell group uni or do they not like resits?

Is it possible for me to somehow still get A* in History and Economics(if i resit) and A in French?

Thanks!

Hell yes!! But only if you're willing to work as hard as you possible can cause in AS(2015) I had :
Maths-68
Physics-85
Chemistry-62A.ICT-65Dropped A.ICT cause we were forced to take a 4th subject.From results day till the Oct/Nov exams I did nothing but study.And I pulled the Chem and Math to 84 and 88 respectively.And as of today I have :
Math- 91Chem-84Physics-90 You can do absolutely anything if you have the drive and resolve to make it happen, have faith in yourself and God as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jomjomjom
Hell yes!! But only if you're willing to work as hard as you possible can cause in AS(2015) I had :
Maths-68
Physics-85
Chemistry-62A.ICT-65Dropped A.ICT cause we were forced to take a 4th subject.From results day till the Oct/Nov exams I did nothing but study.And I pulled the Chem and Math to 84 and 88 respectively.And as of today I have :
Math- 91Chem-84Physics-90 You can do absolutely anything if you have the drive and resolve to make it happen, have faith in yourself and God as well.

Wow! Good job! :smile: can I ask which board are you doing? Is it International Cie a levels? I think that in UK it is a bit different, and that as results dont count towards the final a2 results.
Original post by Kusja
Wow! Good job! :smile: can I ask which board are you doing? Is it International Cie a levels? I think that in UK it is a bit different, and that as results dont count towards the final a2 results.
No, it is CIE A-level

hey! You seem like you know a bit about A-levels. I was just wondering, could tell me if a* is achievable in my subjects?

I got A in phy. chem, bio and maths, nothing below 85, so, could I get an A* in any one of these. My 85 was in bio, 86 in chem and 89 in maths, 90 in phy.

Is it impossible to get an A* in bio and chem?

Spoiler

Original post by fandom-queen
hey! You seem like you know a bit about A-levels. I was just wondering, could tell me if a* is achievable in my subjects?

I got A in phy. chem, bio and maths, nothing below 85, so, could I get an A* in any one of these. My 85 was in bio, 86 in chem and 89 in maths, 90 in phy.

Is it impossible to get an A* in bio and chem?

Spoiler

Hi! I know a little, just finished my A2s (get my results next week). Hahaha! Don't worry, I understand you don't mean to brag. Well done in your results, are these your ASs?

It isn't impossible to get an A* in biology and chemistry. However you will need above 90 next year. This will obviously take a lot of hard work but it is possible. Are you continuing with all four subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest