The Student Room Group

Anyone know any good resources for learning languages?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by abc:)
DUOLINGO!!! It is literally the best thing. I even used it for university level revision.

https://www.duolingo.com/

I see what you're saying about wanting to learn the grammar structures. I'm the same, this is the part that I enjoy and what makes it stick. In this case, I'd also use wordreference: http://www.wordreference.com/

It isn't just a translator, it contains all of the verb tables you need.

If you use these two alongside each other, you can build up good vocab and understanding the 'natural' way to say things, as well as being able to unpick the sentence and understand its structure.

This is what I did anyway. I hope it helps :smile:

I totally forgot wordreference existed! We used it pre-gcse for french but I dodn't know it had verb tables since we were only allowed to use it for nouns.
Thank you so much!
Reply 41
Original post by mgill17
Unfortunately I can't do dual honours with my course due to it's nature but I wish I could. The uni hold classes with native speakers anyway so I might pick those classes up if I have the time!
Cologne is so beautiful...I'm jealous:frown:

What course do you want to do? :smile: There's quite often a part of the language department (called MLTC at Sheffield for example) where you can either pick up languages as credits, or you can do them along side your degree and get your own qualifications :smile:

Cologne is! But I'm definitely ready to go back to England now.. Cologne isn't home unfortuantely ahah!
Original post by mgill17
Like websites or books? If it's a website preferably it'd be free, but books obviously I'm willing to buy.

I find languages really interesting but I find I can only stick with languages if I'm taught the sentence structures and grammatical principles and then I separately learn vocab rather than those textbooks or websites that don't show you how to conjugate or just teach you sentences without explaining why that word is the way it is.

As for the language, I am open to looking at any language right now to see what I like the look of but also I kind of want to start learn German like it's such a nice sounding language and I have German family (although they all speak English pretty great so...).

I would suggest https://www.duolingo.com/ :smile: I'm a moderator there. Good site for reaching B1 in languages. There you can choose any language you want, especially European ones.
Reply 43
Original post by anna__
What course do you want to do? :smile: There's quite often a part of the language department (called MLTC at Sheffield for example) where you can either pick up languages as credits, or you can do them along side your degree and get your own qualifications :smile:

Cologne is! But I'm definitely ready to go back to England now.. Cologne isn't home unfortuantely ahah!

I'm doing Chemical Engineering, which at Sheffield I would've been able to do with a language (which was appealing when I was in the application process) but I've firmed Lancaster and you can only do them extra-curricular with my course there as far as I'm aware. Plus if I ended up in clearing, even though I probably would choose Sheffield, my grades wouldn't be good enough. But I'm fine not doing it for credits (mostly in case I'm not great at it...but I was pretty good at it when I was younger...so my German cousin said).

England has it's beauty too, I love some of the buildings and landscapes and sometimes I forget we have them. Plus you'll be missing such wonderful brilliant classic British TV shows such as...erm...Jeremy Kyle:frown:...I take that back. We still have nice countryside and architecture.
Reply 44
Original post by Tamuna10
I would suggest https://www.duolingo.com/ :smile: I'm a moderator there. Good site for reaching B1 in languages. There you can choose any language you want, especially European ones.

I'm looking at duolingo, it looks pretty good! Thanks!
Reply 45
Original post by mgill17
I'm doing Chemical Engineering, which at Sheffield I would've been able to do with a language (which was appealing when I was in the application process) but I've firmed Lancaster and you can only do them extra-curricular with my course there as far as I'm aware. Plus if I ended up in clearing, even though I probably would choose Sheffield, my grades wouldn't be good enough. But I'm fine not doing it for credits (mostly in case I'm not great at it...but I was pretty good at it when I was younger...so my German cousin said).

England has it's beauty too, I love some of the buildings and landscapes and sometimes I forget we have them. Plus you'll be missing such wonderful brilliant classic British TV shows such as...erm...Jeremy Kyle:frown:...I take that back. We still have nice countryside and architecture.

Are you starting at Sheffield in September then? It's a great uni and I am so excited to go back :smile: If you get to Sheffield you can change your course upon joining :smile: Good luck either way!! If you decide to go to Sheffield as well how about joining the German society (deutscher Verein) or joing Stammtisch and practise your German with a native tandem partner? You can also find a tandem partner online :smile:

I know what you mean.. I just don't like the politics of the UK right now so that's putting me off returning but my flight is booked so can't change my mind now :P
Reply 46
Original post by anna__
Are you starting at Sheffield in September then? It's a great uni and I am so excited to go back :smile: If you get to Sheffield you can change your course upon joining :smile: Good luck either way!! If you decide to go to Sheffield as well how about joining the German society (deutscher Verein) or joing Stammtisch and practise your German with a native tandem partner? You can also find a tandem partner online :smile:

I know what you mean.. I just don't like the politics of the UK right now so that's putting me off returning but my flight is booked so can't change my mind now :P

If I ended up in Clearing I'd be looking into going to Sheffield this year but it all depends on next Thursday...it's scary now!
I don't blame you, a lot has happened over the last three months especially...
Reply 47
Original post by mgill17
If I ended up in Clearing I'd be looking into going to Sheffield this year but it all depends on next Thursday...it's scary now!
I don't blame you, a lot has happened over the last three months especially...

Ahh I don't envy you regarding Thursday at all :frown: They're a lot more lenient with grades than you'd expect though :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by anna__
Ahh I don't envy you regarding Thursday at all :frown: They're a lot more lenient with grades than you'd expect though :smile:

I hope so! I think best case scenario I'm going to be one grade short of my offer anyway...the only virtue there is that it's my least relevent subject so hopefully they think I'm okay:frown:
Original post by mgill17
That's always good! I'll do more looking around! Thanks!
I think part of the reason I enjoy them is that too plus the whole thing is a different cultural perspective...I love the history and present of so many other countries, they always seem so much interesting than English history/present culture but that's probably just because so much focus goes onto that in History at school

You're welcome! :h:

And yeah I totally agree lmao. We only really did British history at school and although it was interesting I got a bit fed up of it after a while haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending