The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Are there any "posh" activities like formal dinners, balls, etc at Warwick?

I'm not necessarily asking about doxbridge-style high table dinners, just more "formal/posh" school-based stuff?😮

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
While I'm also an entering first-year student, I know there are balls arranged by societys: the economics society's ball for instance.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
I'm not there yet but, based on pictures, it seems like different societies organise balls and dinners.
Reply 3
Of course, many societies woll host such things.
Reply 4
Thanks everyone:smile: Apart from societies, does the school itself hold any activities that everyone can join and not just society members?
Original post by Geromi912
Thanks everyone:smile: Apart from societies, does the school itself hold any activities that everyone can join and not just society members?

uh, mind if I ask why?
Reply 6
Original post by Trinculo
uh, mind if I ask why?

hmm is that question weird? Unis like Durham have college-based activities but since Warwick doesn't have college system, I'm wonder do they have school-based activities
hmm is that question weird? Unis like Durham have college-based activities but since Warwick doesn't have college system, I'm wonder do they have school-based activities

Well, Cambridge and Oxford are collegiate in that way. Durham is kinda. The others like Lancaster aren't really collegiate like that.

The point is that the colleges in Cambridge are relatively small and have academic agency as well as being social and sports hubs. Even Durham has however many colleges- 15 or 20 or whatever.

If they're having formals, it's because there's a college social aspect to it in what is a relatively small division of the university, which has its own distinct identity.

If would very much doubt that other than a couple of balls, a non-collegiate university would have formal dinners that aren't organised by a soc. It would be too unwieldy to do, and there are potentially far too many people wanting to come.

What I was really getting at was - why you had an interest in quote-unquote "posh" events?
Reply 8

School? Or do you mean department. If so, which department?
Reply 9
Original post by Trinculo
Well, Cambridge and Oxford are collegiate in that way. Durham is kinda. The others like Lancaster aren't really collegiate like that.

The point is that the colleges in Cambridge are relatively small and have academic agency as well as being social and sports hubs. Even Durham has however many colleges- 15 or 20 or whatever.

If they're having formals, it's because there's a college social aspect to it in what is a relatively small division of the university, which has its own distinct identity.

If would very much doubt that other than a couple of balls, a non-collegiate university would have formal dinners that aren't organised by a soc. It would be too unwieldy to do, and there are potentially far too many people wanting to come.

What I was really getting at was - why you had an interest in quote-unquote "posh" events?

idk haha probably too much harry potter for me "posh" events seem interesting
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
School? Or do you mean department. If so, which department?

maybe the student union etc...? What about the uni itself? I mean events that ALL students can join, not just within societies
I've been wondering this too! My firm is Durham and they seem to have loads. Warwick is my insurance and I have no idea if they have balls and such.
Cucumber sandwiches?
Reply 13
Original post by nobodycarescarla
I've been wondering this too! My firm is Durham and they seem to have loads. Warwick is my insurance and I have no idea if they have balls and such.

May I ask what's your course?:redface:
Durham is almost like Hotwarts damnnnn I hope warwick also at least have SOME
idk haha probably too much harry potter for me "posh" events seem interesting

Oh i see. Fair turs.

If you just love the idea of dining in, that's cool.

I mean, you could just join the socs that do it the most, or you could just go to them without being a member - just buy a ticket. If you're a bloke, it might be an idea to buy a dinner jacket as it wold be expensive to keep hiring. You could get a really nice one on ebay probably for less than £60 so long as you are sensible about sizing and are ready to fork out a little bit for alteration. If you're a woman, might need a couple of cocktail dresses and an evening gown.

If it's not just dining, and you like these things -well, join the soc that sounds the "poshest". Polo, rowing, sailing, rifle, lacrosse, UOTC and just go nuts. You can then just go to the polo, have cream tea and whatever. Except for UOTC, I would have thought you could also just join as a social member.
May I ask what's your course?:redface:
Durham is almost like Hotwarts damnnnn I hope warwick also at least have SOME

Its for biological sciences (:
And i know! I know the main reason I firmed was because it wanted to go to Hogwarts but my letter is late af so Durham will do.
I hope Warwick has some too, maybe we'll have to make a society for it - The "Formals and other posh ****" society haha:tongue:
Reply 16
And i know! I know the main reason I firmed was because it wanted to go to Hogwarts but my letter is late af so Durham will do.
I hope Warwick has some too, maybe we'll have to make a society for it - The "Formals and other posh ****" society haha:tongue:

Yeah I wish I could go to Oxford but I was very late too and I wouldn't have made the grades anyway lol that society sounds fun af xd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Except Warwick doesn't have those grand dining halls☹️☹️☹️

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are tonnes- usually held by each society. The biggest ones are at the end of term 3, but many during term 2 and term 1.
Yep, they host many balls and formals. Societies are the ones that hold them and at the end of the year, there is the whole "Society Ball" and "Sports Ball" and some other balls too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending