The Student Room Group

Missing resit exam

Hi, I have not been feeling well recently and I have a resit exam coming up. I was wondering what would happen if I missed this resit exam? When would the next available opportunity be to sit the exam?
Hi

This is totally dependent on the university. Some unis allow an assessment to be carried into the next year and done alongside the next years modules and others you have to complete all modules in a year completely to be permitted to progress to the next year. in the latter case students have to take a leave of absence to complete the assessment at the next assessment period.

It should be in your handbook or regulations for progression.
If you have a doctor's note you'll either get a conceded pass or a 3rd chance to resit.
Reply 3
Original post by magratgarlick
Hi

This is totally dependent on the university. Some unis allow an assessment to be carried into the next year and done alongside the next years modules and others you have to complete all modules in a year completely to be permitted to progress to the next year. in the latter case students have to take a leave of absence to complete the assessment at the next assessment period.

It should be in your handbook or regulations for progression.

thanks for helping, I have passed everything else and I am allowed to progress on to the next year. I was just afraid they would make me do something crazy like interrupt my studies next year. This is the only module that I have to resit so I'm guessing it should be OK?
Original post by mo-gaucho
thanks for helping, I have passed everything else and I am allowed to progress on to the next year. I was just afraid they would make me do something crazy like interrupt my studies next year. This is the only module that I have to resit so I'm guessing it should be OK?

You really cannot risk 'guessing it should be OK.' You need to get accurate information from your own university about what their attitude is. Every one is different.
Reply 5
Original post by Helloworld_95
If you have a doctor's note you'll either get a conceded pass or a 3rd chance to resit.

I do have a doctors note but I would rather get a 3rd chance to resit.
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You really cannot risk 'guessing it should be OK.' You need to get accurate information from your own university about what their attitude is. Every one is different.

I totally agree with you, I am still waiting for a response from my university
I totally agree with you, I am still waiting for a response from my university

You'll have to keep pushing them as the coming week is the busiest in their academic year. They will be receiving A level results today or tomorrow and your request could easily get lost in all of the admissions stuff. Contact them on all the addresses/numbers you have.
Reply 8
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You'll have to keep pushing them as the coming week is the busiest in their academic year. They will be receiving A level results today or tomorrow and your request could easily get lost in all of the admissions stuff. Contact them on all the addresses/numbers you have.

Thank you! I will keep pushing them until I get a response. Completely forgot about the results period!

Stop guessing. Inform your department if you will be unable to resit and send them the medical note, supporting this. They cant make you resit if unwell. They will just make you do it at another time. You already stated you can proceed to the next year.
Reply 10
I do have a doctors note but I would rather get a 3rd chance to resit.

I've never come across a uni which holds resits-of-resits. If your Extenuating Circumstances are accepted, you are most likely to be granted a "compensated pass". At my current uni, this means that academics familiar with your abilities would consult and you would be awarded the grade they considered that you would most likely have gained, had you been well enough for the resit. However as has been said above, each uni handles this differently so do make sure you get the facts from yours.

You should certainly apply for Extenuating Circumstances *NOW* rather than waiting for the exam, as you already have medical proof.
Original post by Klix88
I've never come across a uni which holds resits-of-resits. If your Extenuating Circumstances are accepted, you are most likely to be granted a "compensated pass". At my current uni, this means that academics familiar with your abilities would consult and you would be awarded the grade they considered that you would most likely have gained, had you been well enough for the resit. However as has been said above, each uni handles this differently so do make sure you get the facts from yours.

You should certainly apply for Extenuating Circumstances *NOW* rather than waiting for the exam, as you already have medical proof.

Just to show how different unis can be (and therefore the importance of getting information directly from your own uni, OP), my uni offers resit-resits but absolutely will not offer a compensated pass. Our policy is based on the thought that it doesn't matter what grades you've achieved in the past, there is no way to accurately predict what you would've got in that exam so they can't just give you a grade. Instead, if you miss/fail an exam you resit it again in July and then if you miss/fail that one, you resit it with the first sitting of that course in the following academic year. Depending on which year you're in, this might mean that the student has to put their studies on hold until they pass the course. In very rare circumstances, rather than offering a 3rd sitting, the staff will offer an alternative assessment so that the student can progress into the next year as normal.
Original post by Klix88

It depends on the Uni.
Normally it goes first take- resit- retake year.

Some Unis have First take, resit- resit - retake.

Compensated passes are discretionary, so they could also require her to resit.
Reply 13
Original post by 999tigger
It depends on the Uni.
Normally it goes first take- resit- retake year.

Some Unis have First take, resit- resit - retake.

Compensated passes are discretionary, so they could also require her to resit.

Hence my reiteration that the OP should get the facts where they are. We've given a range of possible scenarios but the OP needs a definitive answer that we can't give.

Quick Reply