The Student Room Group

Advice needed: applying to medicine

Hey all! So CIE results were released yesterday, and achieved my predicted, which was 3A*2A, but underapplied (current firm is UCL Biomedical Science, AAA) last year as school policy dictates that we take the Oct/Nov AS exams, which meant that I had to study for AS and apply at the same time, and I had absolutely nothing concrete to give universities regarding academics. I had originally intended to apply for medicine as it was something I wanted and still really want to do, and had sat for the UKCAT and went for a GP placement and everything. My line of thinking was that I would rather get the grades and at least a place in university than get a conditional offer for medicine (which was pretty much impossible with no AS grades) but screw up my AS and not meet the requirements because of having to handle both at the same time.

Thinking back, I'm not sure I made the best decision. Even if I was rejected completely, I'd still be in the position I am now in terms of what to do next.

So after wasting everyone's time with far too much backstory, I have 2 questions:

1) If I am extremely lucky and get into medicine via Clearing (mutual acquaintance got into Bristol), but it's not a very highly ranked uni, should I just decline and try for a higher ranked uni in Australia? I know ranking says nothing about the kind of doctor one would be in the future, but I do know higher ranked usually = more cutting-edge research + better network. Keep in mind that I would have to pay a fortune anyway as an intl. student, even if it's ranked 400 in the world.

2) What are the chances of me getting into a BMAT uni as an international student for Sep 2017? Assume decent BMAT score (19-21) and hospital placements (currently only have GP and hospice experience). I've seen the stats and the quota and they're really discouraging, but thought I'd get real life opinions.

Thanks for reading and putting up with my wordiness!
Reply 1
Original post by erin-c
If I am extremely lucky and get into medicine via Clearing (mutual acquaintance got into Bristol), but it's not a very highly ranked uni, should I just decline

Hi, I've moved your post to the Medicine forum for the experts to help you.

I am not one of those experts but I'd say if any UK med school gives you an offer you should take it. "Prestige" isn't a thing for Medicine, all med schools are effectively prestigious.

Also, if you exceeded your offer then Adjustment may also be a better option rather than Clearing. (But I don't know if many Med schools are in either Adjustment OR Clearing).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15539-Changing-university-via-adjustment-what-you-need-to-know

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by erin-c
Hey all! So CIE results were released yesterday, and achieved my predicted, which was 3A*2A, but underapplied (current firm is UCL Biomedical Science, AAA) last year as school policy dictates that we take the Oct/Nov AS exams, which meant that I had to study for AS and apply at the same time, and I had absolutely nothing concrete to give universities regarding academics. I had originally intended to apply for medicine as it was something I wanted and still really want to do, and had sat for the UKCAT and went for a GP placement and everything. My line of thinking was that I would rather get the grades and at least a place in university than get a conditional offer for medicine (which was pretty much impossible with no AS grades) but screw up my AS and not meet the requirements because of having to handle both at the same time.

Thinking back, I'm not sure I made the best decision. Even if I was rejected completely, I'd still be in the position I am now in terms of what to do next.

So after wasting everyone's time with far too much backstory, I have 2 questions:

1) If I am extremely lucky and get into medicine via Clearing (mutual acquaintance got into Bristol), but it's not a very highly ranked uni, should I just decline and try for a higher ranked uni in Australia? I know ranking says nothing about the kind of doctor one would be in the future, but I do know higher ranked usually = more cutting-edge research + better network. Keep in mind that I would have to pay a fortune anyway as an intl. student, even if it's ranked 400 in the world.

2) What are the chances of me getting into a BMAT uni as an international student for Sep 2017? Assume decent BMAT score (19-21) and hospital placements (currently only have GP and hospice experience). I've seen the stats and the quota and they're really discouraging, but thought I'd get real life opinions.

Thanks for reading and putting up with my wordiness!

You are VERY VERY unlikely to get into a uni through clearing for medicine, the only uni I know with places currently in clearing is SGUL so have a look there.

For medicine the prestige/rank of a uni is of no importance, often you will find that the teaching quality could be better or more suited to you at a lower ranked uni than a higher ranked one, its all about preference. As for the more-cutting edge research and a better network, that can be found at any of the russel group universities, have a look into the research they are doing in the medical profession. For example I am at Cardiff med school (not that highly ranked in the UK) and we have just partnered with Harvard to open a world leading brain MRI centre, we are doing cutting edge research on stem cells, my academic mentor is researching into schizophrenia and mental health disorders and our cardiology department is brilliant. Its all about what your into, but that there is proof that you dont have be to top of the world in terms of a uni to get amazing research quality.

Its totally your choice as to where you would like to go, you will have to apply for medicine 2017 entry in the UK very soon (october 15th) so if that is what you want to do make sure you get your UKCAT booked in and write your personal statement.
Reply 3
Original post by Natalierm2707

For medicine the prestige/rank of a uni is of no importance, often you will find that the teaching quality could be better or more suited to you at a lower ranked uni than a higher ranked one, its all about preference. As for the more-cutting edge research and a better network, that can be found at any of the russel group universities, have a look into the research they are doing in the medical profession. For example I am at Cardiff med school (not that highly ranked in the UK) and we have just partnered with Harvard to open a world leading brain MRI centre, we are doing cutting edge research on stem cells, my academic mentor is researching into schizophrenia and mental health disorders and our cardiology department is brilliant. Its all about what your into, but that there is proof that you dont have be to top of the world in terms of a uni to get amazing research quality.

Just to echo this really, it's not just the Russel group unis which have top quality research and worldwide importance :smile: I study medicine in Hull, which has a world leading cough centre, and does a lot of research in cancer. Unlike some other universities, we also have the opportunity to work with these in our SSIP components, so we can get contact with the experts.

Prestige doesn't necessarily equal opportunity.
Original post by Ezme39
Just to echo this really, it's not just the Russel group unis which have top quality research and worldwide importance :smile: I study medicine in Hull, which has a world leading cough centre, and does a lot of research in cancer. Unlike some other universities, we also have the opportunity to work with these in our SSIP components, so we can get contact with the experts.

Prestige doesn't necessarily equal opportunity.

Couldnt agree more!

So many applicants get hung up on top unis because they think nothing is going on elsewhere, but research happens at every medical school and the majority of it is world leading!

It is literally the same mentality of going into the supermarket and buying a branded product, just because it has that brand name doesnt mean something that doesnt hold the brand name and is less recognised by name is worse in quality at all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending