The Student Room Group

French mayor bans burkinis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MeYou2Night
You're totally missing the point and have ZERO idea or knowledge on how important secularism is in France. A Burkini is a religious symbol.

If covering up is so important, they can wear a wetsuit. If it isn't - there's no problem in it being banned.

It's seems a country has to simply change to suit the new arrivals as they hold certain things more important than things like a countries culture and principles

I wonder what they would say gives them the right to make such demands
Original post by BaconandSauce
It's seems a country has to simply change to suit the new arrivals as they hold certain things more important than things like a countries culture and principles

I wonder what they would say gives them the right to make such demands

I know - it's baffling. I wonder when Saudi Arabia will allow women to wear bikinis or even shorts and a crop top? Oh that's right - never! Again, if new arrivals don't like it, they are free to leave France and go and live in Saudi Arabia or Iran.
Original post by Nadile
My logic isn't flawed. The point isn't how many people actually do it, but that this law is taking away the option. As a kid I used to swim in tshirts etc because I had very sensitive skin which reacted really badly to the sun. If that problem didn't go away, I wouldn't hesitate to just swim in a burkini these days. Or what if I decided that I simply want to be covered up? Of course I don't live in France, so this doesn't affect me. But my point is that if I don't wear a burkini then it should be because I decided so and not because the government forbid me from wearing one. What next, is France gonna go all North Korea style and make a list of allowed swimmer?

If you want to be covered up - wear a wet suit. What's the problem? France has banned it's as its a religious symbol. This due to its strong secular traditions, which you clearly have zero understanding of.
I know - it's baffling. I wonder when Saudi Arabia will allow women to wear bikinis or even shorts and a crop top? Oh that's right - never! Again, if new arrivals don't like it, they are free to leave France and go and live in Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Quite

And I have a feeling most who are saying this is wrong would not call for Saudi to allow bikinis or even shorts and a crop tops to be worn freely.
But as you say if they don't like it they simply don't have to stay
Quite

And I have a feeling most who are saying this is wrong would not call for Saudi to allow bikinis or even shorts and a crop tops to be worn freely.

PRSOM

Agreed :biggrin:
This is silly and an affront to their personal rights.
Quite

Agreed. Because many of them believe that they occupy the moral high ground by encouraging women to be covered up, and that it is provocative/slutty to be wearing normal western swimming attire.

Wish the UK would introduce similar measures to France.
Quite

Just because Saudi Arabia does something stupid, it doesn't mean we should do something equally stupid to spite them.

Original post by richpanda
I can sum up this thread very quickly:Mostly British Muslims who don't understand how important secularism is in France calling it 'ridiculous'

It looks like a wet suit, I would prefer getting the Muslimahs out into the sunshine where they can be chirpsed rather than keeping them behind lock and key.
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
Just because Saudi Arabia does something stupid, it doesn't mean we should do something equally stupid to spite them.

It's not to spite them so a poor argument
It's not to spite them so a poor argument

The whole point is that we are better than the Saudis and we are, but not if you act like that.
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
The whole point is that we are better than the Saudis and we are, but not if you act like that.

And we still are better then them despite this

We have a long way to fall before we could ever be compared

But this is about France and it's culture and principles so it's really up to them how they manage issues like this
Reply 91
If you want to be covered up - wear a wet suit. What's the problem? France has banned it's as its a religious symbol. This due to its strong secular traditions, which you clearly have zero understanding of.

But what if I prefer the burkini? Do you not see that it's the same as Islamic countries banning revealing clothing? The point is that we should have the option to wear what we want. Are they gonna ban anything that has a cross on it too? There shouldn't be any backwards laws that infringe on people's freedom of expression when choosing their clothing in a developed country like France.
Original post by Nadile
Do you not see that it's the same as Islamic countries banning revealing clothing?

What religious connotations does 'revealing' clothing have? (and interesting you choose to use the comparison of revealing rather than normal beach wear)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nadile
But what if I prefer the burkini? Do you not see that it's the same as Islamic countries banning revealing clothing? The point is that we should have the option to wear what we want. Are they gonna ban anything that has a cross on it too? There shouldn't be any backwards laws that infringe on people's freedom of expression when choosing their clothing in a developed country like France.

Tough really if you prefer one. If you don't like it don't go to France and if it is hopefully brought in to the UK one day as well as banning the veil (along with all face coverings), if you don't like it, you are free to leave. Saudi Arabia maybe? Or not as you know as a woman, you'll be treated like dirt.

The difference is revealing clothing as zero religious connotation, so you're point is already flawed.

The difference is, although France might be secular and strongly/rightly so m, it is also traditionally a Christian country like the rest of Europe.

Again, you fail to the importance of secularism in France. It's embarrassing really. please educate yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tough really if you prefer one. If you don't like it don't go to France and if it is hopefully brought in to the UK one day as well as banning the veil (along with all face coverings), if you don't like it, you are free to leave. Saudi Arabia maybe? Or not as you know as a woman, you'll be treated like dirt.

The difference is revealing clothing as zero religious connotation, so you're point is already flawed.

The difference is, although France might be secular and strongly/rightly so m, it is also traditionally a Christian country like the rest of Europe.

Again, you fail to the importance of secularism in France. It's embarrassing really. please educate yourself.

If you feel that being secular is important, would you back the ban of any religious symbols, including turbans, Kirpan, necklaces containing any symbol e.g. Aum or crosses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bullettheory
If you feel that being secular is important, would you back the ban of any religious symbols, including turbans, Kirpan, necklaces containing any symbol e.g. Aum or crosses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.

The burkini is essentially a wetsuit that also covers the hair. France have not banned the wearing of the hijab in public places, so it's rather weak to argue that they banned the burkini because it's a religious symbol.
image.jpeg
Excellent news, a triumph over religious superstition and misogyny.
Reply 98
What if a Christian woman just wants to cover up? What if an atheist decides they want to cover up? It's not a swimsuit limited solely to people of one religious group and its limiting the freedom of expression of those in France. It is no way a religious garment and should be worn by all those who want to wear it and those who don't want to wear it shouldn't have a problem as its not affecting them
Original post by childofthesun
The burkini is essentially a wetsuit that also covers the hair. France have not banned the wearing of the hijab in public places, so it's rather weak to argue that they banned the burkini because it's a religious symbol.
image.jpeg

Another user you has zero understanding of French culture. As I've said if anyone has a problem with this, and other parts of French secular tradition, they don't have to go to France and they can leave.

This should be rolled out across the rest of Europe. If most Muslims are truly peaceful, there will be no problem but if they turn into terrorists because of things like this, it will say something about what true Islam is.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending