The Student Room Group

Palacky University 2016/2017 entry

Hey guys, is anyone going to Palacky this September for medicine or dentistry? I'd quite like to know the class.

I'm repeating the year along with a dozen or so classmates from my year of entry and we'll all be present in some of your classes and will be able to help in anything you need.

If you have any enquiries before that, do let me know. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Krish95
Hey guys, is anyone going to Palacky this September for medicine or dentistry? I'd quite like to know the class.

I'm repeating the year along with a dozen or so classmates from my year of entry and we'll all be present in some of your classes and will be able to help in anything you need.

If you have any enquiries before that, do let me know. :smile:

Is this another second rate Eastern European university desperate for money so accepts any medic reject from the UK who doesn't have the brains or social manner to get into medicine here?
Reply 2
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Is this another second rate Eastern European university desperate for money so accepts any medic reject from the UK who doesn't have the brains or social manner to get into medicine here?

Erm. Depends on your situation and grades really.
Original post by Krish95
Erm. Depends on your situation and grades really.

I'll take that as a yes
Reply 4
If you've got Anything above three Cs, literally BCC, where you've done chem and biology to A2 then there are a couple in Bulgaria. What you need to look for is if its recognized by the UK and its reputation to choose. There are a few student agencies you can look at in the UK to help you. I personally recommend Tutelage in London. They handled everything from my experience. Also I've heard good things about student world. And from horror stories I would avoid Study Medicine Europe, but I do not have any personal experience with them so I can only say what I know from others who have experience.
Reply 5

do you by any chance study medicine?
Reply 6
Original post by Krish95
If you've got Anything above three Cs, literally BCC, where you've done chem and biology to A2 then there are a couple in Bulgaria. What you need to look for is if its recognized by the UK and its reputation to choose. There are a few student agencies you can look at in the UK to help you. I personally recommend Tutelage in London. They handled everything from my experience. Also I've heard good things about student world. And from horror stories I would avoid Study Medicine Europe, but I do not have any personal experience with them so I can only say what I know from others who have experience.

hey krish! I'm thinking of coming here but I'm not sure yet- after results day

I know people who are there and they have said some good things about it- but apparently its really tough
whats your experience been like?
Original post by lavaman
do you by any chance study medicine?

Yup, in the UK though.
Reply 8
Original post by lavaman
hey krish! I'm thinking of coming here but I'm not sure yet- after results day

I know people who are there and they have said some good things about it- but apparently its really tough
whats your experience been like?

Its medicine so it will never be easy. It is a good atmosphere to study and you make great friends and they make the time away much better.

Have you passed and got a place lined up?
Reply 9
Yup, in the UK though.

have u ever experienced palacky ? if so whats it like? also what doyou mean by a second rate uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Krish95
Its medicine so it will never be easy. It is a good atmosphere to study and you make great friends and they make the time away much better.

Have you passed and got a place lined up?

hey
I have applied and got an offer just waiting or results day

whats the education like? it is easy to understand the teachers?
Reply 11
Original post by lavaman
hey
I have applied and got an offer just waiting or results day

whats the education like? it is easy to understand the teachers?

The education is good and strict for the most part. A few hoops we have to jump through which seems and is pointless but nothing too harsh for the most part.

It's easy to understand most teachers. There are a couple that are a bit more difficult to understand but they tend to be in subjects where self study is of bigger importance than what is learnt in class, as it needs to be reinforced again and again. It's not much trouble.

It is worth noting that the uni's teachers will teach you the minimum what you need to know. They in no way spoon feed you and they have little to no personal investment in your study. It is entirely up to you to pass and they don't really mind if you fail.

It's less like a place which makes doctors and more a place which continuously tests if you're worthy to be a doctor and teaches you medicine through the process.
Reply 12
Original post by Krish95
The education is good and strict for the most part. A few hoops we have to jump through which seems and is pointless but nothing too harsh for the most part.

It's easy to understand most teachers. There are a couple that are a bit more difficult to understand but they tend to be in subjects where self study is of bigger importance than what is learnt in class, as it needs to be reinforced again and again. It's not much trouble.

It is worth noting that the uni's teachers will teach you the minimum what you need to know. They in no way spoon feed you and they have little to no personal investment in your study. It is entirely up to you to pass and they don't really mind if you fail.

It's less like a place which makes doctors and more a place which continuously tests if you're worthy to be a doctor and teaches you medicine through the process.[/QU

what do you mean
continuously tests if you're worthy to be a doctor and teaches you medicine through the process?

and is it true only about half the year makes it through to second year?
Reply 13
[QUOTE="lavaman;66948538"]
Original post by Krish95

It's less like a place which makes doctors and more a place which continuously tests if you're worthy to be a doctor and teaches you medicine through the process.[/QU

what do you mean
continuously tests if you're worthy to be a doctor and teaches you medicine through the process?

and is it true only about half the year makes it through to second year?

Yeah it's true. For the last 9 or so years it has been. Haven't heard of many people before that.

Having said that it is obviously possible to pass. Just don't be one of the borderline cases. Pass well in each exam and there won't be any doubt of you passing the year.

What I mean is that generally, most people who get into medicine in the UK become doctors. Very few fail out. The main challenge was to get in.

The opposite is true here. Since it is significantly easier to get in, the challenge becomes to keep up with the workload which is tense and the older style format of teaching which is difficult to learn in the absence of clinical matters associated with each subject.

In a way you can think of the course as a 4 year medicine programme, where the final year is internship before you get your degree and the first year is essentially premed plus anatomy.
Reply 14
[QUOTE="Krish95;66958426"]
Original post by lavaman

Yeah it's true. For the last 9 or so years it has been. Haven't heard of many people before that.

Having said that it is obviously possible to pass. Just don't be one of the borderline cases. Pass well in each exam and there won't be any doubt of you passing the year.

What I mean is that generally, most people who get into medicine in the UK become doctors. Very few fail out. The main challenge was to get in.

The opposite is true here. Since it is significantly easier to get in, the challenge becomes to keep up with the workload which is tense and the older style format of teaching which is difficult to learn in the absence of clinical matters associated with each subject.

In a way you can think of the course as a 4 year medicine programme, where the final year is internship before you get your degree and the first year is essentially premed plus anatomy.

so would you recommend thecourse to anyone else who may have missed the grades for uk or something?
Reply 15
[QUOTE="Krish95;66958426"]
Original post by lavaman

so would you recommend this course to others?
Reply 16
[QUOTE="lavaman;66960732"]
Original post by Krish95

so would you recommend this course to others?

I would. If you work, you'll pass, but just don't underestimate chemistry. Its literally what you need to pass and when you do everything falls into place.
[QUOTE="Krish95;67000408"]
Original post by lavaman

I would. If you work, you'll pass, but just don't underestimate chemistry. Its literally what you need to pass and when you do everything falls into place.

Hi Krish95,

I got offers from both Masaryk and Palacký universities for 2017. Can somebody compare the pros and cons of these UNI?? such as drop out, getting jobs in UK?
Many Thanks
Do not go to Palacky University. It is a money making scam, many students are repeatedly accepted and unfairly treated, as there are no set rules or universal grading/passing system for all students. The examiners tend to fail many students with no valid reason. This university is a money making scheme, do not apply!!! For more honest information contact me privately I am more than happy to answer questions in detail. The system continues to change every year, attending this university will be a very big mistake. There is no one of higher authority that is just and can help solve any of your issues, teachers and examiners can treat you unfairly and get away with it. DO NOT ACCEPT YOUR OFFERS.
Apply to Masaryk or Charles university they have a much better system and reputation. I moved from Palacky to Charles and I have had no problems since. There are no problems in Charles university, the teaching and examining system is fair and just, everyone is treated equally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending