The Student Room Group

Bigotry towards drug users.

Why is it acceptable? What makes it any different to bigotry directed at gays?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dingleberry jam

I don't think it is acceptable, people who fall into a dug habit often end up in a cycle of addiction whereby they get rejected by their friends and family and outcast to the point where they just want to keep using. This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8L-0nSYzg explains why people on say diamorphine (which is essentially medical enantiopure heroin) isn't addictive to those in hospital for months on end, and how drug users get hooked via lack of psycho-social interactions with others. It is very interesting that lack of social circles often exacerbates addiction to anything let alone drugs. It is a horrible cycle and the stigma needs to be beaten if we are to help drug addicts out of their addictions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
What examples of bigotry against drug users are there?
Doing drugs is a choice being gay isnt.They're not comparable.Although actually I do think that people should have the freedom to use certain drugs if they choose to.
Original post by Robby2312
Doing drugs is a choice being gay isnt.They're not comparable.

Do you know anyone that has never done any drug of any type, doesn't seem like a choice to me, it seems inherent to human nature.

I can't use any of the legal recreational drugs, alcohol, caffeine and nicotine make me ill, i have a preference for other drugs, is that really so different to a preference for a different sex?
So much bigotry in the world that goes unnoticed or is simply ignored.
Reply 6
Do you know anyone that has never done any drug of any type, doesn't seem like a choice to me, it seems inherent to human nature.

I can't use any of the legal recreational drugs, alcohol, caffeine and nicotine make me ill, i have a preference for other drugs, is that really so different to a preference for a different sex?

What sort of drugs are you referring to?
Bigotry against drugs like marijuana, with new understanding will soon become a thing of the past. It's advantages overweight it's disadvantages ( which are actually insignificant)
Other prescription drug use and drugs such as cocaine are absolutely unacceptable. They alter an individuals behaviour much more adversely and pose a greater threat to others. Anything that hurts anyone else not only deserves bigotry, but obviously a prison sentence as well.

Homosexual attraction is subjectively inherent, using drugs is a choice. There's a huge difference between the two, and I'm struggling to see how they're comparable.

There's nothing wrong with criticising people's choices, but that's a different kettle of fish to criticising who they are.

That being said, the social stigma surrounding drugs and drug users definitely needs to be reduced, starting with the eradication of this ridiculous war on drugs and a serious and informed debate in parliament regarding legalisation.
Original post by AvWOW
Being gay alters an individuals behaviour much more adversely and pose a greater threat to others. Anything that hurts anyone else not only deserves bigotry, but obviously a prison sentence as well.

:eek:
Original post by Drunk Punx
Homosexual attraction is subjectively inherent, using drugs is a choice. There's a huge difference between the two, and I'm struggling to see how they're comparable..

Hmm, i'm not convinced drug use is always a choice.

Is it a choice for addicts?
Is it a choice for the mentally ill desperate for an escape?
Do you know anyone that has never used any drug?
Reply 10
:eek:

Whaaat? How did you edit thattt? lol. Sexual orientation is no where the same thing as drug use. Loving someone is an unconscious, genetically hard-wired emotion. Doing drugs is a choice.
Reply 11
The idea that people who hole themselves up in a shack to smoke bowls of meth until their teeth fall out and they have to prostitute themselves or rob off-licenses to fund their habits are in any way similar to people like Alan Turing is... well, it's just some Forrest Gump level stupid.

For one thing, everyone's smoked weed. Nobody cares. Our now former Chancellor of the Exchequer was a massive cokehead, and at times appeared to be visibly tripping during PMQs. Nobody cared. People sympathise with the cast of Trainspotting, etc etc. Nobody has a "bigotry" against drug users (abysmal choice of words by the way - disliking toothless crack addicts is the same as racism?), they have a well-founded dislike of criminality and the moral wherewithal to appreciate that there is a difference between a student taking a pill with a shark on it at a party, and a slave to heroin who mugs old ladies.

They may very well have a problem. But it's a problem of their own making.
Original post by AvWOW
Whaaat? How did you edit thattt? lol. Sexual orientation is no where the same thing as drug use. Loving someone is an unconscious, genetically hard-wired emotion. Doing drugs is a choice.

Well i disagree, i believe drug use is hard-wired in some if not all.
I don't think the punishment on illegal drugs including marijuana is tough enough.

If getting caught with any amount got an immediate prison sentence people would eventually stop it

Drug users are scum
Original post by Trapz99
What examples of bigotry against drug users are there?

Here you go, didn't take long.

Original post by jape
The idea that people who hole themselves up in a shack to smoke bowls of meth until their teeth fall out and they have to prostitute themselves or rob off-licenses to fund their habits are in any way similar to people like Alan Turing is... well, it's just some Forrest Gump level stupid.

For one thing, everyone's smoked weed. Nobody cares. Our now former Chancellor of the Exchequer was a massive cokehead, and at times appeared to be visibly tripping during PMQs. Nobody cared. People sympathise with the cast of Trainspotting, etc etc. Nobody has a "bigotry" against drug users (abysmal choice of words by the way - disliking toothless crack addicts is the same as racism?), they have a well-founded dislike of criminality and the moral wherewithal to appreciate that there is a difference between a student taking a pill with a shark on it at a party, and a slave to heroin who mugs old ladies.

They may very well have a problem. But it's a problem of their own making.

Original post by niteninja1
I don't think the punishment on illegal drugs including marijuana is tough enough.

If getting caught with any amount got an immediate prison sentence people would eventually stop it

Drug users are scum
Reply 15
Well i disagree, i believe drug use is hard-wired in some if not all.

How so?
According to evolution and natural selection, the humans who stray away from dangerous habits (playing with fire, poking wild animals and in reference to the modern age; stay away from drug use) are the ones that are genetically favoured as they are more likely to stay safe and pass on their genes. Everyone else is naturally selected against. So, the more abundant population will not do drugs :smile:
Original post by AvWOW
What sort of drugs are you referring to?
Bigotry against drugs like marijuana, with new understanding will soon become a thing of the past. It's advantages overweight it's disadvantages ( which are actually insignificant)
Other prescription drug use and drugs such as cocaine are absolutely unacceptable. They alter an individuals behaviour much more adversely and pose a greater threat to others. Anything that hurts anyone else not only deserves bigotry, but obviously a prison sentence as well.

It's been proven that rehabilitation is much more effective than locking junkies up.

http://www.drugfree.org/news-service/choosing-substance-abuse-treatment-over-prison-could-save-billions-study/

(I don't generally care much for the HuffPost, but I really cba to find other sources).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-howard-samuels/prison-vs-rehab-what-real_b_571055.html

http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug03/rehab.aspx
(This article mainly deals with general mental help in prisons instead of specifying drug users, but helping people deal with their issues is a fairly broad spectrum and the point can easily be translated across).

Even the American public, who are generally stereotyped as being rather ignorant by populations of other countries and people within their own country, think that rehab is the way forward.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/treatment-vs-punishment-poll-finds-americans-prefer-rehab-over-jail-drug-offenders-274660

You're saving money on prison care while freeing up space for murderers and rapists while at the same time reducing the chances of someone relapsing or continuing their habit. Locking drugs users up doesn't work. Rehab does.
Original post by AvWOW
How so?
According to evolution and natural selection, the humans who stray away from dangerous habits (playing with fire, poking wild animals and in reference to the modern age; stay away from drug use) are the ones that are genetically favoured as they are more likely to stay safe and pass on their genes. Everyone else is naturally selected against. So, the more abundant population will not do drugs :smile:

Well we all do drugs so obviously there's a little more to it.

drugs are a mug's game
Original post by the bear
drugs are a mug's game

Another bigot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending