The Student Room Group

French mayor bans burkinis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sebby491
Not missing the point. I believe in the foundations of our society which is freedom. That is what France stands for. This is pure hypocrisy and they are limiting the freedoms of people. Yes they are secular but they still have FREEDOM of religion, if you don't like that then go and join some communist or fascist dictatorship.

You're right but secularism trumps rhis in France. It might not in other European countries, doesn't mean it doesn't in France. This wouldn't happen if you were right.

Original post by 1010marina
Exactly. Can you name any countries where Islam dominates, yet freedom of speech, freedom of religion and equal rights laws prevail? ...

Turkey until recently I guess. Not the point though.

Mecca, Saudi Arabia is the holiest place in the world for Muslims, therefore Islam should be judged on how's it's enacted there. Don't see what's wrong with that. Anyway 17 of the bottom 20 countries for the worst women's rights are all Muslim countries.
Reply 121
Original post by Lord Samosa
And what? Make it more difficult for Muslim women to do things normal French people do and integrate? So you can complain how they don't mix with everybody else and integrate?

It's sad how it's Muslim women who have to deal with this discrimination, by the very people who claim to want to save them from "oppression" :rolleyes:

Not every Muslim woman wants to wear a burqa or a burkini. This sort of decision only makes life more difficult for the Salafis, who have already chosen not to integrate anyway.
Original post by MeYou2Night
Again, wet suits and bikinis don't represent s religion. Burkinis do. It doesn't matter when and where they were created. France has a strong secular tradition, and if people and Muslims don't like that then they are free to not go to or leave France and go and live in Saudi Arabia which is
the most holy place for Muslims, where they can be "true Muslims". How long will it be until they beg to come back to Europe as they realise the true form of their religion is based on women being second class citizens and the adoration of a pedophile. It's a cancer on the world like every religion is.

Except of course, you don't have to be a Muslim to do so. Even a burka doesn't identify you as necessarily being Muslim considering some Jewish women wear them too..Nigella freaking Lawson wore a burkini. Looking on Facebook comments, it seems some non Muslim women prefer the idea of the burkini too, and some prefer the bikini

A strong secular tradition allows people to wear whatever the hell they want. What happened to "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" What happened to people's "Liberté" to where whatever they want to?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Internet
Except of course, you don't have to be a Muslim to do so. Even a burka doesn't identify you as necessarily being Muslim considering some Jewish women wear them too..Nigella freaking Lawson wore a burkini. Looking on Facebook comments, it seems some non Muslim women prefer the idea of the burkini too, and some prefer the bikini

A strong secular tradition allows people to wear whatever the hell they want. What happened to "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" What happened to people's "Liberté" to where whatever they want to?

Wear*

There's two ways secularism can be carried out you know. Again, nobody is forced to live in France so if they don't like it, they know where the door is.
Original post by Ribbit1234
It won't work so the French president can go f himself. They banned the burka too, but subhanallah, praise be to God, it didn't stop Muslim women from wearing it. Bless the French Muslim sisters in France x

See this, and liberals who support it, is what you are up against people.
They hate the west and want you to bend to them, they mean business and think nothing of our civilization. Their allegiance is stronger than our broken society,and crosses alll national borders. Take it seriously please, when ISIS says they are going to use refugees crisis to flood Europe.
Reply 125
Original post by skeptical_john
If you looks at beach attire from about 200 years a go it's not that different

43r4r.jpg

Give it a few hundred years and they will catch up

You can still see the hair. It's very immodest.

Original post by Nadile
But what if I prefer the burkini? Do you not see that it's the same as Islamic countries banning revealing clothing? The point is that we should have the option to wear what we want. Are they gonna ban anything that has a cross on it too? There shouldn't be any backwards laws that infringe on people's freedom of expression when choosing their clothing in a developed country like France.

You actually have "laws that infringe on people's freedom of expression when choosing their clothing" in every country. Nudism is not allowed on the beach...

Original post by Jehaan
What if a Christian woman just wants to cover up? What if an atheist decides they want to cover up? It's not a swimsuit limited solely to people of one religious group and its limiting the freedom of expression of those in France. It is no way a religious garment and should be worn by all those who want to wear it and those who don't want to wear it shouldn't have a problem as its not affecting them

The clothing is banned, not the religion.

Original post by XOR_

So, this isn't banned right... :?

You can see the thighs and the shape of the ass. The horror.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by Pinkberry_y
It's more of a 'you're in our country you have to abide by our rules, simple. If you don't like it, leave'. Do you see Saudia Arabia giving us westerners any choice of wearing revealing clothes because we want to? No exactly. Now pipe down and stop being so hypocritical.

Youre correct.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
It's more of a 'you're in our country you have to abide by our rules, simple. If you don't like it, leave'. Do you see Saudia Arabia giving us westerners any choice of wearing revealing clothes because we want to? No exactly. Now pipe down and stop being so hypocritical.

Spot on!
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
See this, and liberals who support it, is what you are up against people.
They hate the west and want you to bend to them, they mean business and think nothing of our civilization. Their allegiance is stronger than our broken society,and crosses alll national borders. Take it seriously please, when ISIS says they are going to use refugees crisis to flood Europe.

I don't hate the west and also don't want them to bend for us. We respect the laws of the west, but it's blatantly obvious that the French president is racist against Muslims and is constantly targeting them and discriminating against them. A bit like how white police officers target and discriminate black Americans. You're comparing me to Isis ?? Lolollll, bigot. I wouldn't even wear the burka or bikini but it's just pure racism and discrimination. You wouldn't understand cuz ur not a minority so wouldn't ever be judged or stereotyped in the way we are.
Original post by Josb
Not every Muslim woman wants to wear a burqa or a burkini. This sort of decision only makes life more difficult for the Salafis, who have already chosen not to integrate anyway.

Huh? It's not for a specific sect. It's not actually a burka, it just cover their body a bit more (the face is still visible). I don't see how wanting to cover up a little bit is refusing to integrate, if anything it's allowing them to do things normal French people do, such as enjoying their spare time on the beach.
Reply 130
it's blatantly obvious that the French president is racist against Muslims and is constantly targeting them and discriminating against them.

1) Islam is not a race.
2) The burkini ban was decided by a mayor, not the French president.

I however would like to know how the French president is "constantly targeting [Muslims] and discriminating against them." Please provide examples.
I don't hate the west and also don't want them to bend for us. We respect the laws of the west, but it's blatantly obvious that the French president is racist against Muslims and is constantly targeting them and discriminating against them. A bit like how white police officers target and discriminate black Americans. You're comparing me to Isis ?? Lolollll, bigot. I wouldn't even wear the burka or bikini but it's just pure racism and discrimination. You wouldn't understand cuz ur not a minority so wouldn't ever be judged or stereotyped in the way we are.

And this is where the problem lies. All white people are racist, all white police officers attack black people, all white people are stupid and privileged and wouldn't understand your position because we are in no way capable of empathy.

You seriously do not have a foot to stand on when you complain that all white people do not understand generalisations because we have we have never been stereotyped or generalised ourselves.

Sort out your victim complex first and then try again at debating about this.

Also, you can't be racist to a Muslim. Muslim is not an ethnicity. & It is acceptable to compare people wearing religious dress to the same people trying to enforce that dress code around the world, if you are so determined to spread the dress code & holy book that you would contemplate violence for it.
There's no point in arguing with him. He's one of them who has a weird obsession/hate against Islam and so would naturally be against anything that Islam encourages. If it was any other group, he, like the racist French president wouldn't care about something so minor like what people wear. But since the Burkini is associated with Muslims, it is something that should be strictly forbidden and laws and legislations should be held in place because of it. Don't pay any attention, the Muslims in France don't :smile:
Huh? It's not for a specific sect. It's not actually a burka, it just cover their body a bit more (the face is still visible). I don't see how wanting to cover up a little bit is refusing to integrate, if anything it's allowing them to do things normal French people do, such as enjoying their spare time on the beach.
There's no point in arguing with him. He's one of them who has a weird obsession/hate against Islam and so would naturally be against anything that Islam encourages. If it was any other group, he, like the racist French president wouldn't care about something so minor like what people wear. But since the Burkini is associated with Muslims, it is something that should be strictly forbidden and laws and legislations should be held in place because of it. Don't pay any attention, the Muslims in France don't :smile:

If you don't like it, move to Saudi Arabia. Oh, but, you won't do that, as they'll treat you, as a woman, like dirt. You'd beg to come running back to Europe.
Reply 134

"a bit more", you mean the whole body, minus the face, hands and feet?

Normal French people don't think a woman is immodest if she doesn't cover her body at the beach.

I however think this decision is senseless as nobody was spotted using a burkini on Cannes' beach this year. Salafi women don't want to be near men anyway.
Chill, I never said all white people. That would be a dumb thing to say as there are white people replying on this thread with the same view that this Burkini ban is discriminating and silly.
I meant the ones who don't come across different people often and beleive everything they see on tv. The ones that are brainwashed like some of the halfwits replying to me,comparing me to Isis lolol, and seem to think all Muslims are out to get them and take over the world lolololl.
Original post by 1010marina
And this is where the problem lies. All white people are racist, all white police officers attack black people, all white people are stupid and privileged and wouldn't understand your position because we are in no way capable of empathy.

You seriously do not have a foot to stand on when you complain that all white people do not understand generalisations because we have we have never been stereotyped or generalised ourselves.

Sort out your victim complex first and then try again at debating about this.

Also, you can't be racist to a Muslim. Muslim is not an ethnicity. & It is acceptable to compare people wearing religious dress to the same people trying to enforce that dress code around the world, if you are so determined to spread the dress code & holy book that you would contemplate violence for it.
Reply 136
There's no point in arguing with him. He's one of them who has a weird obsession/hate against Islam and so would naturally be against anything that Islam encourages.

Yes. :u:

If it was any other group, he, like the racist French president wouldn't care about something so minor like what people wear. But since the Burkini is associated with Muslims, it is something that should be strictly forbidden and laws and legislations should be held in place because of it. Don't pay any attention, the Muslims in France don't :smile:

"The racist French president". :lol:
Why would I move to Saudi? It's not a law in the uk where I'm at duh
If you don't like it, move to Saudi Arabia. Oh, but, you won't do that, as they'll treat you, as a woman, like dirt. You'd beg to come running back to Europe.
Original post by Josb
"a bit more", you mean the whole body, minus the face, hands and feet?

Normal French people don't think a woman is immodest if she doesn't cover her body at the beach.

I however think this decision is senseless as nobody was spotted using a burkini on Cannes' beach this year. Salafi women don't want to be near men anyway.

I thought the west was a place where a woman could wear what she wants? Without men dictating what she can and cannot wear, how is this any different.

Tbf it's because of people like him why two French Muslim families I know are moving to the UK, they make their life so difficult over there.
Hopefully it will be one day. Then you're free to go. I'd happily pay for your plane ticket, first class and the lot!

Why wouldn't you as a Muslim want to live in Saudi? The holiest place for all Muslims?

I'd rather go to Egypt or morroco. Anyway, it won't be a law here so u can stop wishing. And many of the Muslims in Saudi only appear to be strict Muslims from the outside. Many are f'd up, drink and do haraam. I've seen and spoken to a few who say it's the norm there but it's just all undercover.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending