The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Never tried primark but i used to buy nameless pieces of make up from marks and spencers and they were relatively cheap at the time and still worked well
Original post by Justmoll28
is 'cheap' makeup worth a shot? has anyone tried brands such as w7 or Primark makeup? what is it like?

I've realised that W7 is pretty good actually. The Bananna Dream Powder is excellent. It looks good on my Asian skin tone and also the Waterproof top coat Mascara is good too!

I cheap makeup Brands like W7, Nyx and other always get overlooked. I'd say explore and try out new things. :smile:
Nyx is amazing, I love their lip products so much and their primers get good reviews. Makeup Revolution do really good dupes for high end brands, their eyeshadows are amazing. LA Girl concealers are great and they have an incredible range of shades.
Reply 23
I like MUA, ELF, NYX :smile:
is 'cheap' makeup worth a shot? has anyone tried brands such as w7 or Primark makeup? what is it like?

I can recommend MUA, Makeup Revolution and Freedom in Superdrug.
Some of the Natural Collection in Boots is quite good .
Rimmel is a bit more mid price range but their foundations are really good quality.
I use a foundation from Bourjois which I prefer to high end foundations
Apparently the w7 eye shadow palettes are dupes for the Naked ones.
Try watching this youtuber called Just Jodes - she posted a ton of videos on testing out different brands of cheap makeup :h:
People also rave about the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer which is really cheap at Boots.
I always go for expensive makeup before considering drug store simply because you're paying for those better quality ingredients and formulations. I don't wear much make up at all so it's still pretty affordable. I also love the fact I can go into a Debenhams and get any product I want without having to research online for ingredient lists, product reviews and or worry about parabens, mineral oils and other cheap ingredients. Honestly it's just makeup, nobody should have to look up a mascara extensively before buying it.
Original post by Allie4
Never tried primark but i used to buy nameless pieces of make up from marks and spencers and they were relatively cheap at the time and still worked well

You should try the collection eyebrow kit as its a great dupe for the Anastasia powder duo:smile: Also the sleek contour kit is good compared to high end brands.:smile: Hope this helped:h:
Cheap makeup is NOT the same as bad makeup. I love lots of the brands they sell in Superdrug and most of them are also cruelty free (not animal tested)!!
Some favourites of mine are superdrug's own BB cream, Collection foundation and concealer, makeup Revolution eyeshadows, sleek eyeshadows, Barry M liquid eyeliner (this is amazing, stays put ALL DAY) and also their mascara.
Now those are just some of the things I've tried :smile:
Another good thing is that Superdrug often has 3for2 offers etc which is helpful if you're starting to build up a makeup kit.

xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30

I've tried the w7 eyeshadow palette 'in the nude' it was actually so good! it also like had the most of the colours in the naked 3 pallette
and was only like £5
Well I don’t think cheap makeup brand would be as good as the normal one. If that happens, that will be an exception.
I tried cheap eyeshadows once but I don't if because it was cheap or because I had some kind of allergy but my eyes didn't enjoy wearing it. I'm not oins this again to myself.
There's nothing wrong with cheap makeup. I buy the bourjois foundation. I'm shade 53 which is not to dark and not to light. It feels much better then makeup forever because it doesn't feel to cakey, it's much cheaper and you can get it online. It looks like a high end foundation but it's actually not! From markets they're for £5 but online it's for £11

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love beautybosshacks! Forgot the website address but they have some really good products, based in the uk too. Relatively cheap but the products are really unique!
I really recommend Colourpop. It sells in Europe only through the webpage, but It’s worth it + they have many great online offers. ELF is also great. So is KIKO. Some products from makeup revolution also work great, especially the new eyeshadow pallets.

As a general recommendation, I would advice always buying cheaper mascaras and brow products because the quality difference is not perceptible . You can also find really good eyeliners, blushes, lipglosses and satin lipsticks in the cheaper end. For products that go directly on the face, such as primers and foundations, the cheapest I would go are pharmacy brands such as Avene.

Hope that was helpful 😊

Latest