The Student Room Group

worth going into accounting with...

Poor A level grades? I got accepted into a decent midtable uni for accounting and finance and got an unconditional even though I am going to end up with something around three Cs. Would it even be worth going to uni as whatever class of degree I end up getting, I would be rejected by the ucas filters? My GCSEs were better and I got an A in English and a C in maths.
Any help would be very appreciated, I am tempted to change my degree to something like economics as I think my chances in this field are very limited purely because of my a level grades which would mean my hard work at uni would be wasted.
It's very frustrating as in confident I will do very well and achieve a first or 2:1 at uni I just wrongly picked 3 hard a levels which i had little interest in purely because of pressure from others despite subject choice clearly not bothering employers :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by alexp98
Poor A level grades? I got accepted into a decent midtable uni for accounting and finance and got an unconditional even though I am going to end up with something around three Cs. Would it even be worth going to uni as whatever class of degree I end up getting, I would be rejected by the ucas filters? My GCSEs were better and I got an A in English and a C in maths.
Any help would be very appreciated, I am tempted to change my degree to something like economics as I think my chances in this field are very limited purely because of my a level grades which would mean my hard work at uni would be wasted.
It's very frustrating as in confident I will do very well and achieve a first or 2:1 at uni I just wrongly picked 3 hard a levels which i had little interest in purely because of pressure from others despite subject choice clearly not bothering employers :/

Yes. But he prepared to work much harder than you did for A levels. Do you gets you exemptions from the professional bodies with your degree? If you say what course you're doing and which university you are attending, I can do a quick search for you.
Reply 2
Original post by accno1
Yes. But he prepared to work much harder than you did for A levels. Do you gets you exemptions from the professional bodies with your degree? If you say what course you're doing and which university you are attending, I can do a quick search for you.

De Montfort uni Accounting and finance BA, think it's maximum exemptions I we thinking bournmouth but DMU seems better overall and is contin oust a rising institution too. So you think this will still be worth pursuing, I know I will work harder and probably get the 2:1 I need but won't it be worthless with these A levels?
Original post by alexp98

2/4 of the big4 have scrapped UCAS point requirements, so it is theoretically possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
2/4 of the big4 have scrapped UCAS point requirements, so it is theoretically possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the help, would it be better though going for a broader course like economics just to make just I do t limit my options? Also would the grace C in GCSE maths hinder me as I'm certain I could get an A now although most people say it's a waste of time as and A in English and c in maths will be fine,
Thanks
Reply 5
I knew someone who went to work for PWHC with piss poor alevels, rare but not unheard of.
Original post by alexp98
Thanks for the help, would it be better though going for a broader course like economics just to make just I do t limit my options? Also would the grace C in GCSE maths hinder me as I'm certain I could get an A now although most people say it's a waste of time as and A in English and c in maths will be fine,
Thanks

Doubt you'd limit your choices either way, just go for the one you'd prefer to study.

I don't think the gcse grade will limit you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Napp
I knew someone who went to work for PWHC with piss poor alevels, rare but not unheard of.

Cheers just need to think of its worth going uni or should I resist the a levels, either way I'm confident I can get a strong 2:1 or better at uni and my GCSE grades are fine so it's just the a level ucas filter that will stop me :/
Retake your alevels?
Reply 9
Original post by Math12345
Retake your alevels?

That's the thing Bobby but not sure if it'll be worth it, hopefully with a strong degree, good GCSEs and a placement year/experience I'll still be in a good position
Reply 10
Doubt you'd limit your choices either way, just go for the one you'd prefer to study.

I don't think the gcse grade will limit you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help, is there is any extra curricular things you can do for either course aisde from taking the placement year at uni and following current affairs? It seems harder than a course like compsci where you can easily do extra curricular activities
Original post by alexp98
Thanks for your help, is there is any extra curricular things you can do for either course aisde from taking the placement year at uni and following current affairs? It seems harder than a course like compsci where you can easily do extra curricular activities

That is up to you to decide, I'm sure you'll be able to come up with things that interest you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is definitely possible. The university you went to is irrelevant.
Reply 13
Original post by Roronoa
It is definitely possible. The university you went to is irrelevant.

Ok thanks if I retake a year and resit I could go to places slightly higher ranked like Aston, Leicester and Liverpool but it doesn't seem worth it anyway. Just need to ensure I can get a first or 2:1 and lots of experience in summer/placement.
Reply 14
Original post by alexp98

To put this into perspective for you, i got BBCC with one B in General Studies as i flunked my final set of exams. I had been applying for Law and Northumbria still accepted me with this. I just Graduated with a 2.1 Masters in Law and am now due to join EY Audit. It is upto you what you make of it. Generally they have little care what degree you did so long as you can say what wider skills you've picked up and i haven't been queried at all on my Grades at A-level
Original post by LukeEN
To put this into perspective for you, i got BBCC with one B in General Studies as i flunked my final set of exams. I had been applying for Law and Northumbria still accepted me with this. I just Graduated with a 2.1 Masters in Law and am now due to join EY Audit. It is upto you what you make of it. Generally they have little care what degree you did so long as you can say what wider skills you've picked up and i haven't been queried at all on my Grades at A-level

Awesome congratulations! I'm in my 3rd year of Big 4 audit, and as an audit senior I would much rather work with someone hardworking regardless of university, than an Oxford graduate who isn't hardworking (just an example - the Oxford graduates I work with are generally very good :smile:).
Reply 16
Original post by Roronoa
Awesome congratulations! I'm in my 3rd year of Big 4 audit, and as an audit senior I would much rather work with someone hardworking regardless of university, than an Oxford graduate who isn't hardworking (just an example - the Oxford graduates I work with are generally very good :smile:).

Hey mate, i did end up getting CCC today in the end then. SHould i just continue to uni and ensure i get a 2:1 (Which i know i can do as i will increase my workrate alot or retake? My Cs were in History, English Lit and General Studies with a C in Media AS. GCSE A in ENglish and C in maths.
DMU Accounting and Finance BA with placmement year.

Any help appreciated, i would hate working hard at uni only to find out i get rejected by employers because of my A levels, my aim btw is to become a fully qualified accountant and have a stable job with a good salary.
Original post by alexp98
I am tempted to change my degree to something like economics as I think my chances in this field are very limited purely because of my a level grades which would mean my hard work at uni would be wasted.
:/

What do you mean by this?
Reply 18
Original post by Ze Witcher
What do you mean by this?

Nevermind, been resolved now.
Original post by alexp98
Hey mate, i did end up getting CCC today in the end then. SHould i just continue to uni and ensure i get a 2:1 (Which i know i can do as i will increase my workrate alot or retake? My Cs were in History, English Lit and General Studies with a C in Media AS. GCSE A in ENglish and C in maths.
DMU Accounting and Finance BA with placmement year.

Any help appreciated, i would hate working hard at uni only to find out i get rejected by employers because of my A levels, my aim btw is to become a fully qualified accountant and have a stable job with a good salary.

You'll be fine. Many firms don't care about A levels at all anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending