The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to stop paying into the NHS?

I have no wish to be treated in an NHS hospital, but am forced to pay for it. I now hold BUPA insurance, and wouldn't dream of asking the British people to pay for my care.

If I were to be diagnosed with cancer, I would far rather do so in New York than Britain; our cancer survival rates are appalling!

I know that British people will be like 'but my dad couldn't afford his operation without the NHS' - quite frankly I couldn't ****ing care less!

Is there a way that I can stop the British public stealing my money to pay for their healthcare?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

If you have a heart attack or get hit by a car, see if BUPA comes to you in an ambulance or helicopter straight away to save your life.
Not unless you leave the UK. Get a grip.
Original post by sationti
I have no wish to be treated in an NHS hospital, but am forced to pay for it. I now hold BUPA insurance, and wouldn't dream of asking the British people to pay for my care.

If I were to be diagnosed with cancer, I would far rather do so in New York than Britain; our cancer survival rates are appalling!

I know that British people will be like 'but my dad couldn't afford his operation without the NHS' - quite frankly I couldn't ****ing care less!

Is there a way that I can stop the British public stealing my money to pay for their healthcare?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you'd have to leave the country in order to stop paying into the NHS - it's not an opt-out system. Even if you could leave the NHS, you wouldn't want to; private health insurance isn't inclusive, and you could hardly phone 999 and ask for a BUPA ambulance.

Unless you're a literal millionaire, I doubt your taxes are particularly high. Even if they are, only a small percentage will actually go to the NHS - taxes still exist in places such as the US that don't have state health provisions, so your taxes would near enough stay the same.

Finally, British people aren't "stealing" your money to pay for healthcare. Healthcare is arguably a human right, and most will also be paying into the system. And if you view healthcare as "stealing", surely you view all taxes that way? People are 'stealing' your money to pay for schools, roads and streetlamps? Would you opt-out of all of those too, to avoid such theft, and put money in each streetlamp that you personally use, as you walk by it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
Not unless you leave the UK. Get a grip.

No you get a grip. I simply don't want to pay for your healthcare. There's nothing wrong with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could leave the country and emigrate to NY, which wouldnt be a bad thing. That way you wouldnt have to pay tax, but you would also have to quit any benefits you were on.

BUPA doesnt cover you for everything by any means and just piggybacks the NHS system.
Original post by surina16
If you have a heart attack or get hit by a car, see if BUPA comes to you in an ambulance or helicopter straight away to save your life.

helicopters are not run by the NHS loool by charities
You can't choose where your tax goes.
Reply 8
Original post by citibankrec
helicopters are not run by the NHS loool by charities

Oh don't worry, that poster just wants to get their bummy fingers on our taxes in the form of making us pay for their healthcare.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Before you make your final decision on the NHS, why don't you live in the US for some time. See how their system works, then you will be grateful that the Labour Government brought in the NHS.
Reply 10
Original post by Wired_1800
Before you make your final decision on the NHS, why don't you live in the US for some time. See how their system works, then you will be grateful that the Labour Government brought in the NHS.

Grateful for Labour. YOU MUST BE JOKING!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No honestly do us all a favour and go to live in America if you're in any luck Trump will be president and then I'm sure you'll be able to walk down the street with dying empoverished people all round you whilst you walk into a swanky hospital and kill you with chemo. Honestly it will be idyllic!
Reply 12
There are various reasons why cancer survival rates may be higher in NY than here, that's not really a reliable indication of the NHS's quality

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, your option is to support the TSR Libertarian Parties upcoming healthcare bill in the model house of commons. :u:
Reply 14
Original post by thatawesomekid
There are various reasons why cancer survival rates may be higher in NY than here

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed, it's because the United States possess the worlds highest standard of modern medicine. Britain pales in comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grateful for Labour. YOU MUST BE JOKING!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The establishment of the National Health Service was spearheaded by a Labour Politician from Wales called Aneurin (Nye) Bevan. Read up on the history of the NHS, mate.
If you do not care about your country enough to contribute to the health of its citizens then, frankly, you do not deserve the privilege of living here. Democracy, NHS, fire, police, education. It's all part of being British.

Please leave.
Reply 17
Original post by Wired_1800
The establishment of the National Health Service was spearheaded by a Labour Politician from Wales called Aneurin (Nye) Bevan. Read up on the history of the NHS, mate.

Indeed it was spearheaded by Labour. This a party that the electorate decided to kick into the dustbin of irrelevance. We need to stop needlessly killing people by exposing them to MRSA and disband the NHS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
If a friend or family member of yours is unwell and cannot afford treatment I'm sure you'll then care.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh **** off. Go back to your council estate and rely on mugs like me for your healthcare.
Posted from TSR Mobile

? Honestly, if you don't care about your country or the people in it, why are you here? Why contribute at all? Why not move somewhere you don't have to pay for the healthcare of the citizens?

You are indeed a mug, sir, if you're paying top support people you do not care about.

Quick Reply

Latest