The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IdeasForLife
Wa'alaykumasalaam

I know some people who pay out of their own pockets. They work alongside studies to pay their uni fees. It's definitely doable if you are determined.

I think @MJlover got the national zakat foundation to help with her uni fees. So you may want to ask her about that aswell.

Original post by Lord Samosa
You should still be able to get a maintenance grant from student finance (which you don't have pay back, so don't have to deal with interests). The loan part, I'm think you can reject taking that? I'm not so sure, it's been so long since I dealt with student finance :lol:

Otherwise I'm sure others may have some advice on how to do it. I ended up taking a student loan for uni :redface:

I've figured out a way to manage for the first year...need lots and lots of duas (and money ofc lol, feel free to donate :lol:) for the other two 😫😫😫
I so badly want to do this properly, I just hope I'm able to!

Ooo never heard of this, will look into it, thanks!
Original post by Biryani007
I've figured out a way to manage for the first year...need lots and lots of duas (and money ofc lol, feel free to donate :lol:) for the other two 😫😫😫
I so badly want to do this properly, I just hope I'm able to!

Ooo never heard of this, will look into it, thanks!

May Allah make it easy for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by endgametheory
Is anyone a hardcore physicist here? I'd like to ask a really serious question regarding the science of one verse in the quran.

what's your question? I doubt I'll be able answer it but I'm curious*:cookie:
Original post by endgametheory
Is anyone a hardcore physicist here? I'd like to ask a really serious question regarding the science of one verse in the quran.

ask me I love physics:colondollar:
Just a general question, if a child wants to study something different to what his parents want him to study, is it allowed for him to disobey them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Biryani007
Salaam, anyone paying for uni out of their own pockets?
I don't see how it's doable if you come from a low-income family...it's easy to say take a few years out and earn but with no qualifications the amount you can earn (and save) is very limited...nowhere near £27,000+ :/

If you do some science based degrees, don't you get NHS bursaries? Depends if you still want to do Midwifery or sommit... If you have decent enough A-Levels, you can get scholarships too, which is another thing to think about.

As others have suggested, there are organisations out there you can apply to who will pay for you.

Last bit of advice: depending on what career you wish to pursue, apprenticeships aren't a bad idea - if I didn't do a degree, I'd probably have done that. Initially pay isn't good, but you'd get a vital thing which many graduates lack - industrial experience. Experience is key to getting a decent job, and it is one reason I am struggling to get a graduate job rn. It's worth noting that you could also pursue a degree through this avenue, although it would be at a later date - some large companies have school leaver programs where you work for them as well as getting your university paid for; the only downside is that they would be quite competitive to get into and probably have a multi-stage process i.e. online aptitude test, phone interview, first round interview, assessment centre, final round interview, which could be daunting (or at least to me it is)...

Spoiler

Original post by HAnwar
Just a general question, if a child wants to study something different to what his parents want him to study, is it allowed for him to disobey them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends what they want to study - the parents have the right to be obeyed, and the child has the right to Islamic education... if you mean like the kid wants to do geography and the parents want him to do medicine, then read this article inshAllah:

https://islamqa.info/en/5053

In point 3 or 4, the Sheikh answers sort of although in another context e.g. one does not have to obey parents when... one has to obey parents when... it is preferable to obey parents when... etc.
Original post by cupcakes87
Loool forgot I posted this :lol:

Noooo! Not a secret code lol :biggrin:

Its what i like to call 'The Quran' game :redface:

Basically, on off daya when im bored or Zam likes to reflect we will play the Quran game where i give him two random numbera that will hopefully be a verse in the Quran and he explains them to me :smile:

Oddly enough they always seem to reflect how im feeling or whats going on in my life etc - you can guess how well that goes down with me -_- but @Zamestaneh seems to think that its a message from Allah :rolleyes: maybe it is :moon:

Either way, i quite enjoy it :h:

You should play it sometime :mmm:

Did I reply in the end? :K: I have been busy these last few days and not been on my laptop much :u:
Original post by Zamestaneh
Depends what they want to study - the parents have the right to be obeyed, and the child has the right to Islamic education... if you mean like the kid wants to do geography and the parents want him to do medicine, then read this article inshAllah:

https://islamqa.info/en/5053

In point 3 or 4, the Sheikh answers sort of although in another context e.g. one does not have to obey parents when... one has to obey parents when... it is preferable to obey parents when... etc.

Ok I'll have a look JZK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure your allowed to study whatever you want, it's your future at the end of the day. As long as it doesn't end up in something Haraam.
Manipulation and persuasion are key in these circumstances.
@HAnwar
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OGGUS
I'm pretty sure your allowed to study whatever you want, it's your future at the end of the day. As long as it doesn't end up in something Haraam.
Manipulation and persuasion are key in these circumstances.
@HAnwar

Manipulation of whom?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Manipulation of whom?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Parents, I went.
Mostly list the pros and cons. And some exaggeration. It's not too hard depending on the parents
Original post by OGGUS
Parents, I went.
Mostly list the pros and cons. And some exaggeration. It's not too hard depending on the parents

That's horrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
That's horrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is it?
I never did this:biggrin:
My parents are safe
Original post by OGGUS
How is it?
I never did this:biggrin:
My parents are safe

It's not nice to say manipulate them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
It's not nice to say manipulate them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know:colone:
image.jpg
These surahs are good.
Might wanna try reading Surah Noor everyday too. It's great for success.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Did I reply in the end? :K: I have been busy these last few days and not been on my laptop much :u:

No you didn't :sad:

That's a good thing :tongue:
image.jpg
The lasts 10 Surahs of the Qu'raan
Original post by Al-farhan
The Saudis are totally incompetent and their campaign is only causing more civilian deaths, and they don't like to admit that.
Despite the British weaponry and advice they are unable to bring an end to this.
The huthis meanwhile continuing their executions and indiscriminate bombing.
On the other hand you also have AQ Yemen making as much gains as they can in the south while everyone else is busy.
And in all of this poor civilians are stuck in the middle suffering.

Why is Saudi receiving so much hate?
I know they aren't the nicest country but they should be lauded not hated on for their campaign in Yemen, they and the UAE achieved more in Yemen in a few months than the whole world has for Syria in 5 years. They stopped the war from escalating by destroying the vast majority of weapon depots in the Yemen.
I'd never thought i would ever say this but the UAE and Saudi Arabia did a pretty decent job in Yemen against all the odds.

Latest

Trending

Trending