The Student Room Group

Been asked to pay fees before PG Loan comes through...

**EDIT: using less finger-pointy language and uni name removed**

Hey guys,

I'm (hopefully...) going to be starting a Journalism MA next month.

Although I've already paid £500 deposit to secure my place, they're now asking for me to pay 50% fees upfront to register. They know I'm paying the fees with a PG loan, and they know the first installment of this doesn't get paid until I've registered.

So I don't get paid until I register - and can't register without paying.

I'm pretty sure one of the big reasons for the PG loan being introduced is to make PG education more accessible to those who couldn't have studied at masters level before.

I understand this is uni-specific - has anyone applying elsewhere had the same thing?

I'd really like to know as I'd like to petition the government to make sure universities work with the payment schedule of these new loans and keep postgraduate education accessible. I'm also thinking about writing an article on this. It seems that even with the loan, this university (and no doubt others) are working with a policy that, whether intended or not, alienates people who wouldn't have had the means to fund their PG education alone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GJonesw14

I'd really like to know as I'd like to petition the government to make sure universities work with the payment schedule of these new loans and keep postgraduate education accessible. I'm also thinking about writing an article on this. It seems that even with the loan, City University (and no doubt others) are working with a policy that favours the more privileged.

Before you go about it in public, speak to them and make sure it isn't basic administrative incompetence by either the government or the university!
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Before you go all stroppy about it in public and presume it's some overt class warfare, speak to them and make sure it isn't basic administrative incompetence by either the government or the university!

Cheers for your polite and constructive answer - I've spoken at length with the University finance team about it. It's a university-specific policy.

Which is why my question is - has anyone else experienced this at other universities? I'm interested to gauge how much of an issue this is for others.

Also - being asked to pay £4k upfront is a big deal to a great many people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
basic administrative incompetence by either the government or the university!

Precisely a good reason to raise a petition - because if it is administrative incompetence on the government's part, it's far from basic and greatly affecting the people they introduced the loan to help as they outlined in their own equlities analysis.

Which is why my question is - has anyone else experienced this at other universities? I'm interested to gauge how much of an issue this is for others.

Have a search around TSR, iirc someone was having a similar problem with Sheffield Hallam recently and made a thread about it on here. Can't remember if it was exactly the same issue, but SH didn't provide a very useful response (if they actually want students to attend courses).

Hey guys,

Although I've already paid £500 deposit to secure my place, they're now asking for me to pay 50% fees upfront to register. They know I'm paying the fees with a PG loan, and they know the first installment of this doesn't get paid until I've registered.

I'm pretty sure one of the big reasons for the PG loan being introduced is to make PG education more accessible to those who couldn't have studied at masters level before.

I understand this is uni-specific - has anyone applying elsewhere had the same thing?

I'd really like to know as I'd like to petition the government to make sure universities work with the payment schedule of these new loans and keep postgraduate education accessible. I'm also thinking about writing an article on this. It seems that even with the loan, this university (and no doubt others) are working with a policy that, whether intended or not, alienates people who wouldn't have had the means to fund their PG education alone.

I did my Masters in 2014-15 and my uni gave us a good few weeks to pay the fees, think I had until the middle of October.
Reply 6

Hey guys,

I'm starting my master's in September at Manchester and it looks like a similar sort of situation. The website says that you have to pay the first instalment (a third of the cost of the course) when registering and then the other two instalments in January and April. I've just found out about this today so I haven't spoken to them yet, but I can't imagine it being a problem. I'll keep you posted. If you're having no luck with the finance team, try getting in touch with your department.
Reply 7
Hey - update: after talking to a few people in finance at the university and getting nowhere I wrote a strongly worded letter to the Chancellor - and it worked! They've changed their registration procedure and will no longer be asking students intending to pay with PG loan for an upfront payment to register. Really pleased - if you're having trouble with the funds I can send you the letter as a template to try at Manchester? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by wcgwcg
I'm starting my master's in September at Manchester and it looks like a similar sort of situation. The website says that you have to pay the first instalment (a third of the cost of the course) when registering and then the other two instalments in January and April. I've just found out about this today so I haven't spoken to them yet, but I can't imagine it being a problem. I'll keep you posted. If you're having no luck with the finance team, try getting in touch with your department.

Hey - see my post above, meant to reply to this but am sleepy and forgot how to internet
Reply 9
Hey - see my post above, meant to reply to this but am sleepy and forgot how to internet

I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for your reply. I've just emailed the university so I'll see what they say and let you know if I need to send them any letters! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending