The Student Room Group

Help me to understand the Middle East...

Ok, I do not understand the conflict(s) that is / are going on in the Middle East. I probably have a better understanding than some people but not as much as I'd like.

Beyond mainstream newspapers where can I go for information on the history of the conflict and the current dynamics? Something simplified and condensed, if that's at all possible. Are there any resources anybody can recommend, books, websites, articles, etc?

Scroll to see replies

There is no understanding the middle east
Original post by abc:)
Ok, I do not understand the conflict(s) that is / are going on in the Middle East. I probably have a better understanding than some people but not as much as I'd like.

Beyond mainstream newspapers where can I go for information on the history of the conflict and the current dynamics? Something simplified and condensed, if that's at all possible. Are there any resources anybody can recommend, books, websites, articles, etc?

Anything specific? I live in the Middle East :biggrin:

simple I can explain it in a few words
all wars there are started by the USA for G.O.D via funds made available by the Rothschild banking group
Reply 4
Original post by raniafern
Anything specific? I live in the Middle East :biggrin:

I really want to understand what's going on in Syria, but I don't even know enough to be able to ask specific questions. I guess I'm wondering who is fighting whom, and who supports whom... also I realise that this links to what's going on in other countries too which I why I initially asked about the Middle East in general!
Reply 5
Original post by jamesthehustler
simple I can explain it in a few words
all wars there are started by the USA for G.O.D via funds made available by the Rothschild banking group

This does not help me :laugh:
I really want to understand what's going on in Syria, but I don't even know enough to be able to ask specific questions. I guess I'm wondering who is fighting whom, and who supports whom... also I realise that this links to what's going on in other countries too which I why I initially asked about the Middle East in general!

Ah Syria. My apologies, I skip those 2 pages in the newspaper each morning :colondollar: So, you'd be better off with another source.
Well, I'm in the UAE and it's pretty peaceful out here, fortunately. The ME is a region of turmoil right now, but it's not like everybody's at war. If you have any questions about the GCC or UAE, ask away. But Syria? You could probably tell me more, since I have no interest in them... (I checking out the forest fires back home :frown: )
This does not help me :laugh:

America is behind most wars as they are paid by the world's most major banking organisation to destabilise the region whilst sending looted gold, oil and drugs back to feed the demands of the western world and make the west richer and the east poorer

It's all about Islam, whether you are a Sunni or Shiite Muslim and holy land.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
America is behind most wars as they are paid by the world's most major banking organisation to destabilise the region whilst sending looted gold, oil and drugs back to feed the demands of the western world and make the west richer and the east poorer

Ok... I mean I understand that there is America and the West's role to consider but it doesn't really help me to understand the conflict overall but if you have any resources you can recommend that would be really good?
Reply 10

Original post by paul514
It's all about Islam, whether you are a Sunni or Shiite Muslim and holy land.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha see this is why it is so hard to understand!! Both these two comments say opposite things... I just really want to find some resources which take all of these aspects into account and help someone who knows fairly little to try and make sense of it all
I guess the furthest you can go back to is when Israel, as a country, was formed. Lots of resources on the internet for that

Bull****

For Syria specifically, I'd recommend the reddit sub /r/syriancivilwar. It's very good for following the war in detail, which I have been doing pretty much since the war started. There are some resources on there as well.

Spoiler

Haha see this is why it is so hard to understand!! Both these two comments say opposite things... I just really want to find some resources which take all of these aspects into account and help someone who knows fairly little to try and make sense of it all

I will give you some tips: a simplistic answer that hasn't had much (if any) thought put into it isn't worth listening to.

It will take a long time to do enough research to understand the Middle Eastern conflicts. Most authors will have a political agenda, which is why it's important to read from all viewpoints. Syrian authors are your best bet, but there are some experts outside of Syria who know quite a bit as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sadam Hussein was removed as leader of Iraq. There are mixed opinions on whether this was a good or bad thing depending on who you talk to. However this started of a chain of events;
The Arab Spring- where many countries including Egypt and Libya overthrew their dictator leaderships to replace it with democracy or the opposition. This was attempted in Syria as well, but failed. In Syria, a portion of the rebel group against Asad (leader of Syria) were actually members of ISIS and terrorist groups. They used this to grow ISIS strength in Syria. Meanwhile all this time, Iraq has not hand a strong leadership, which has given terrorist groups such as ISIS, the opportunity to grow stronger there as well.
And of course there's the Israeli-Palestine conflict as Palestine isn't being recognised as its own state.
Meanwhile the oil rich Saudia Arabia watches on and does nothing about ISIS (I wonder why....)
Shia Muslims hate Sunni Muslims and therefore seek to kill them and vice versa. A faction of Sunni Muslims hates other factions of Sunni Muslims and seeks to kill them and vice versa.

Some Muslims (mostly Sunni) hate Christians and seek to kill them.

All Muslims and some Christians hate Jews and seek to kill them.

Israel and the USA is to blame for all of this.
There are two main countries in the Middle East; Saudi Arabia and Iran. None of these countries are particularly good friends.

Both of these countries has their own little fan club - I will refer to these as clubs
/Saudi and Sunni Arab countries like Qatar, UAE, Yemen government
/Iran and their Shia boys like Syria, Lebanon etc

The two clubs are often trying to improve their standing by damaging the members of the other club, but will rarely attack the Kingpin (Iran/Saudi)

Examples of this include Saudi funding rebel groups in Syria to harm the Iran club, whereas Iran funds Houthi rebels in Yemen to harm the Saudi club

There's also Israel which both clubs don't like. But neither club has a reasonable interest in harming Israel anymore and know they'll get hurt if they do, so they tend to just complain to the UN and stuff.

Basically lots of people who can't get along because they believe in different versions of the same thing
Like them or loathe them Israel and Jordan are the only countries that aren't unstable or run by religious lunatics.

Not really the other is complete ********

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by generallee
Shia Muslims hate Sunni Muslims and therefore seek to kill them and vice versa. A faction of Sunni Muslims hates other factions of Sunni Muslims and seeks to kill them and vice versa.

Some Muslims (mostly Sunni) hate Christians and seek to kill them.

All Muslims and some Christians hate Jews and seek to kill them.

Israel and the USA is to blame for all of this.

Wow. Apparently I hate Jews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending